Ben Up North

can only hope to improve
Car Year
2004 | 1992
Car Model
SG Forester X MY05 | 92 SVX
Transmission
5MT D/R | 4EAT
So I bought this cheapy OBDII bluetooth dongle.

Using Torque Lite it works fine on the newer model cars we have (Hyundai & Toyota both around 3 years or so old - company cars, who cares!) but can't find the ECU on my MYO5.

So what I'm trying to figure out, is is it the dongle, the software, or is there something amiss in my wiring?

Is there any cheap way of finding out? Being the noob that I am when it comes to these fancy new motors (last motor I did any sort of real work on was a '76 beetle in the early 80's) I know nothing about this stuff.

Do mechanics normally just plug into the standard OBDII connection for diagnostics?

Any help greatly appreciated.
Have a great day all!
Ben

Last edited:
Ben, IIRC all the Foresters since the beginning of series I SG are OBDII compliant. So your dongle should work with your 2005 model.

I have a cheapie dongle that works fine in my 2006 model. Also works in our 2010 SH.

Well, I've just learnt cheaper ODBII connecters didn't work with Subarus back in 2012.
I guess maybe things haven't changed.

A recommendation on an inexpensive ODBII connector that is known to work with Subarus would be greatly appreciated.

I have a cheapie dongle that works fine in my 2006 model. Also works in our 2010 SH.

What did you get and where from?
Cheers,
Ben

Anyone have any idea what protocol is used?

What did you get and where from?
Cheers,
Ben

Ben, I bought it about 4-6 years ago. It's a bog standard, Chinese dongle that cost about $10 ...

Have no idea what "brand" it was, or who I bought it from.

It also works on a friend's Suzuki Grand Vitara.

I also use Torque Lite with it.

Apparently, it's always been a bit of a gamble whether these work or not.

IIRC OBDII uses a standard RS232 comms protocol.

Anyone have any idea what protocol is used?

Don't trust my memory 100% Ben but I seem to remember my 2003 XS Forester using the 9141 protocol or ISO 9141-2.

I had an UltraGauge fitted to my Forester, it never logged anything just allowed me to monitor whatever sensors I wanted.

I mainly bought it to monitor the water temp as the Subaru Temp gauge is not reliable IMO, once it hits the red which can be pretty quick, it is can be too late to save the engine.

@Kevin can you please fix the title, I've got a real problem with getting OBD right!

I mainly bought it to monitor the water temp as the Subaru Temp gauge is not reliable IMO, once it hits the red which can be pretty quick, it is can be too late to save the engine.

That's the main reason for me, We hit the red on temp a couple of times last year. Engine's still running but, so hopefully it's OK.

My dongle works but at times it can just not find car. Then i turn car off remove it then start cat without it and plug it and then try app. Or plug it before start car.

Done :iconwink:
Ummmm.. yeah. Thanks, I think..
I should have said can you change it to "OBDII questions", but that works:p.

I've been waiting all bloody afternoon for you to notice that change :lol:

I was underneath the SVX (well for some of it) so didn't get back here until late.
Looks like I've got one transmission cooling line to replace to make it mechanically good, then a bit of work sticking back on the hoodlining and it'll be roadworthy.
But.. seeing as I've got to do the hoodlining, I'll take it right out and fix the sunroof frame at the same time.
All those old plastic clips scare me.. I work with computer equpment held together with plastic clips I know how easy it is to break, especially when it's 25 years old.

Supercheap have "Trim Clips"; Repco too probably

I have an ebay OBD reader and it works fine on my 05 XT with Torque lite
Maybe you got a dud

Back