even quicker disconnect swaybar.

stilson

Forum Member

I stumbled upon a spare rear swaybar (thanks taza) and thought I needed a quick fun project.

My car handles pretty well with the swaybars disconnected now that it has the new shocks and springs but I wanted to reduce the front roll couple.

I lay under the rear or my car for a bit to find the absolute easiest spot to swing a spanner.

I sectioned 6mm out of the bar. The ID of the hollow bar is 13mm and I had some half inch stainless steel rod. I cut a 100mm piece and welded 40mm of it into one of the pieces of swaybar. I cut 2x 89mm flanges out of 3mm steel plate. I drilled 2x 8.3mm holes in one, then using these as a guide I drilled into the other. I would then rotate the top plate the width of the holes and drill another 10 holes. I cleaned these up with a file to make a smooth track. I then welded the flanges to the 2 pieces of swaybar. I welded 2x 8mm bolts to the first flange and pushed the two swaybar halves together over the stainless rod and bolted the flanges together using a brass then a steel washer on each bolt, and finally a nylock nut.

A quick half turn on each nut and the flanges spin independently of each other.

Seems to work just fine so far but I will have to report back after further (off)road testing.

Last edited:
good idea.
Also take a few hard corners on road to see if your nuts hold up.
(read that whichever way you like :lol::lol:)

genius mate!
hopefully they don't slip under hard corners, but the difference offroad would be worth the risk.
curious, is the down travel still limited by the swaybar, just independently of the other wheel? or does the rotation of the swaybar allow it to move as freely as an end link disconnect?

Good question tom, I will check. If travel is limited I will make longer HD swaybar mounts as the factory ones are rubbish.

Great idea! I'm guessing the stainless rod is to stop them falling if the flange breaks as well as to provide a pivot point?

The only prob I can see is aligning the flanges when you reconnect so the RSB acts equally on each side

Also take a few hard corners on road to see if your nuts hold up.
(read that whichever way you like :lol::lol:)

hopefully they don't slip under hard corners

I hope your nuts don't slip as well, I've heard its very painful! :raspberry:

Thanks Matt, I parked it on level ground and filed a notch in the flanges to tell when they are aligned. As for nut slip it is far more likely to occur offroad during flex than while cornerig at speed. The reduced body roll due to the increased spring rates means the swaybar has less work to do as the wheels move less relative to each other.

Now I'm happy with it I would be willing to swap it with a solid swaybar if someone has one and see what if I can build a disconnect for that.

Back