• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

jf1sf5's forester

I bought my '97 Foz in 2002, second hand with 90'000 km.

The first year, I changed the OEM springs for Dobinsons, the wheels and tires, 1 inch lift blocks and a 8 mm thick aluminum sump guard after a big dent in the sump but no hole !

The rear Dobinsons were too hard, changed them for SF springs on SG self leveling struts.

In 2006, I wanted to go further with the mods and prepared the Foz for a saharian trip to Morocco, fitted some BFG AT's, Quaife front diff, rear SG LSD diff, SG disc brakes and larger SG rear track.

In october 2007, ready for the trip, drove about 1'500 km on very sandy/rocky trails and corrugations that blew the rubber of the rear top hats but drove back home with pieces of truck tires (no Subarus in Morocco !)

https://www.forum4x4.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55663&d=1364158577
https://www.forum4x4.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55664&d=1364158647

2010, bought some second hand Proflex evo2 coil overs that were made for the Forester engaged by Bruno Picard for the 2008 Dakar rally...cancelled.

2012, changed the BFG AT for General Grabber AT, as good or better off road with less noise on road, with Compomotive 16x7 ET30 wheels.

And discovered "www.offroadsubarus.com" that helps me modify my Foz !

2013, 1,59:1 low range, DCCD and rear Quaife diff because after some readings, I think the helical diffs suit my needs better (rain, snow)

Pics to come but I'm no good with computers !

Last edited:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABOmIq_AVko"]GOPR0198 - YouTube[/ame]

Here is my first video !

Cool, now lets see some of those "hills" you have over there. I believe there aren't too many flat patches lol :iconwink:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJlrqrOriRU"]GOPR0197 - YouTube[/ame]

This was in Valloire, french alps for the 4x4 festival, the Forester went everywhere at the first go and twice at the second go ! The hill climb is quite steep, a Nissan Patrol didn't do it and had to be secured before a roll over.

Last edited:
Great video! Its nice to see a video nicely filmed and the camera held steady!!

Great driving too, looks like a cool track and the foz handled it well! Car is looking great as well.

General (owned by Continental) Grabber AT 215 70 16 :iconwink:

Oh men you are so lucky having that area in your neighbourhood!
you can see that you are not having open diffs.
I dont think that my nearly stock fozzy would have made it. Are your swaybars disconnected?
with the knowledge you have now, what modification do yo like most?

Yes, my swaybars are always disconnected...in fact I don't have them anymore ! With the OEM shocks and Dobinsons, the ride was a bit shaggy (?) but with the Proflex (made in the Netherlands !), its adjustable to have a smooth ride.

However, the mod I like best is the 1,59:1 low range because its easier to "crawl" up a hill or over an obstacle without revving or burning the clutch, but all the mods put up together is :lildevil:

If I did even more off road than I do (daily driver), I would probably go for a rear plated diff as they seem more efficient when a diagonal spin occurs, but I'm very happy with my Quaife's which should be perfect next winter...:)

Hey Vincent!!!!
Very nice videos and very nice off road driving skills!!
See what a "ready" Foz can do off road!!
yes u should grab a plated rear diff to see the "magic" in your car!!
Great report!
Have a nice snowy winter!!

Ted

However, the mod I like best is the 1,59:1 low range because its easier to "crawl" up a hill or over an obstacle without revving or burning the clutch, but all the mods put up together is :lildevil:

What parts did you use to build this gearbox? were did you buy them?
We are also thinking to go to the sahara. I saw that you allready modified your diff then. Would this trip in your oppinion be possible wit stock diffs?

The most important is to have a sump guard, the bigger the better because you might drive on a rock hidden in the sand.

AT tires and a 2" lift and there you go...

The diff upgrade sure helps but you don't need them as long as all the wheels are on the sand...or the rocks ! You should disconnect the sway bars when surfing the dunes, it will help heaps and of course deflate the tires at around 1,2 bars, not too low because you might "loose" a tire on a sharp turn. To inflate back to 2,2 bars I use a manual pump, sure takes a bit longer, 5 minutes/tire but is very reliable :iconwink:

The 1,59:1 low range is not necessary, however, I found a EA82 gearbox here in Geneva for 300 CHF. Many Subarus have been sold in Switzerland since 1972, wreckers specialized in 4x4's or Japanese makes should have them.

Bonne préparation !

i just checked this thing out.

nice ride.

if you can help me get some fender flares/guards to the us i would appreciate it.

i could ship some rare usdm parts too

Back