Life In The Old Man Yet

I was going to sell my beloved Subee for a bigger unit, was thinking a D Max twin cab ute. After adding up the costs and the outlay and the repayments etc etc today i decided the Subee gets another 5 yrs to live again.

It has a lot of history this car, its the car the started ORS, its been all over the place in some very tough conditions, and is now a tow car for my old camper (also getting a facelift) and will run me out to the detecting sites, some of this terrain is pretty rugged.

So where to begin?
Last year i put a set of heavy duty springs on the old girl and now i will run it in for new struts (brand/make/type are open to suggestion)

A new set of rubber will go on after that, will give the Yokis a miss this time, i chewed the ATS set out faster than expected so i will look into whats about.

A full body overhaul/detail ding knock out etc and i may source a rear bar but thats way down my list, then onto the mechanicals, thinking thinking.

Most recent pic

subee.jpg

Glad you are hanging on to the Foz Tony!!!:ebiggrin:

Lookin' good, and sounds like some more good stuff coming soon.:cool:

Hey Carl, yeh couldnt make up my mind for awhile there :neutral:

I worked its easier to throw 5grand at the Foz than 45grand at a new twincab :ebiggrin:

Turning it into a more liveable outdoors unit, seeing as i am in the bush so much these days. At the end of the day i still have a shiny newish car :cool:

9bbg.jpg

I must say i do like the LEDS in the interior, seeing as i my car is my office on the wharfs from midnight until dawn, these make finding things alot easier.

The front map lights to go
iyhx.jpg

Gidday Tone

Like the rubber. Trust Yokohama to start making 215x65 16 AT-s just after I put new boots on Roo2 :(.

I agree with you about that new car stuff. All well and good if one has money to burn (that's what one is doing ... ), but we got two excellent s/h Foresters for about $4,000 less than the price of one new one. Both one owner vehicles, delivered with close to zero kms on the clock (i.e. not "demonstrators" ... ).

As you rightly point out, chucking $5,000 or $6,000 at them still leaves us around the same price as one new one! As a CPA (Ret.), this appeals to my parsimonious (read: "lousy" :lol: ) nature ... :poke:

I have owned 3 new cars in my life. I am just as happy with our "new" Foxes. In fact, over the moon would be a closer description ... So is SWMBO, which is even more important :lildevil:!

Hi Ratbag
I ordered 215/60 and was informed later that there were none available for 3 weeks, he could only get me 215/65 so i said to put 4 on, i now have a 215/60 spare. I will get a 215/65 spare and deflate it to about 15psi to get it in the wheel well, i did this with the ATII's without any drama, i also carry a small compressor.

Company demos are often a good buy that will save you a few grand, i get to drive new cars everyday on the wharfs, ever Mazda that lands in Melbourne i have something to do with it physically, including getting them onto our fleet car carriers and getting them to Mazda Australia or direct to the dealers.

Waiting on the docks amongst all the new cars. "Midnight on the Docks"
u6zd.jpg

Outcast from the new Subarus in front of mine "Dawn on The Docks"
n6cj.jpg

I found i had a bit of a dilemma with the mileage right on 95k and next month another $1000 layout
1: Do i get the new Struts done $1075
2: Do i get the Belts and 100k done approx $1000

I had some spare filters and oil in the shed, so i gave the car a service, and will run it over the 100k for the belts and gets the OEM struts done next month. ALl going to plan i may make the 100k belt service on time, but this gives me a little bit of breathing room.

Warning dont drop oil in wind gusts of up to 100kph :rotfl: i had no choice and the degreaser fixed it up.

Drop that black oil and ready to go
aih9.jpg

Wind gusts spray oil
pkii.jpg

Nice clean air filter
rsrn.jpg

Here's a tale of woe, i lent my ramps and good socket set to a bloke a few years ago i felt sorry for, and never saw my ramps, tools or him again, despite promises to return them and some efforts of traveling some distance to recover them, i gave up. Soon some new ramps and a trolley jack will have me back up to speed again, crawling around on my guts under cars isn't fun anymore. :twisted:

Next i will finish off the LED map lights and then decide whats next.

My04tone your Subaru renovations are looking fantastic! Lesson learnt I bet about loaning your ramps & tools - it just amazes me how ungrateful and disrespectful some people can be. Hopefully soon you will have some new ones and your servicing will be much easier :)

Regards,

My04tone your Subaru renovations are looking fantastic! Lesson learnt I bet about loaning your ramps & tools - it just amazes me how ungrateful and disrespectful some people can be. Hopefully soon you will have some new ones and your servicing will be much easier :)

Regards,

I had learnt well before that not to lend tools, but i knew the guy, he was having troubles, i offered to do the service but he didnt know when he wanted it done or had the tim,e so i reluctantly lend him my tools, this was some 7yrs ago and havent seen him since.

I have the tools i carry in the car that will do a service no worries, they just arnt as good as the ones i had in the shed.

A decision was made on the car to keep it until it expires, even if i get a bigger car for towing a caravan the Subee stays until a flatbed comes to pick it up :lol:

Its my touring and offroad car, mainly for heading up the goldfields these days and its all i need.

Bugger bout the tools...some people just use other's generosity! :shake:

The Foz is looking good :biggrin:

Only think about them when i need them :iconwink:

Thanks mate!! my list of things to do far outweighs my bank balance, but after i get the majors out of the way, i will have time to add some more to the touring package. Will order the 1" lift from Subtle soon so it can go in when i do the struts.

Thinking about dropping the gearing in the lo range but now i am getting too far ahead of myself :shake:

Gidday Tony

Hi Ratbag
I ordered 215/60 and was informed later that there were none available for 3 weeks, he could only get me 215/65 so i said to put 4 on, i now have a 215/60 spare.

They only had 215/60 x 16 or 215/70 x16 when I needed new rubber, and the latter are over legal (and over "insurable" ... ). If I could have got 215/65 x 16 AT-s, I probably would have been very tempted. I went for Michelin XM2. The price was excellent, and so are the tyres.

Company demos are often a good buy that will save you a few grand,

If the car had been driven by a company exec (and no one else) then I would agree. If it has truly been a "demonstrator" - driven by every Tom, Dick and Harriet who's walked through the door - it is likely damaged beyond repair before you get it ... :(

Nice pics, BTW.

Seems that you live nearby to us (at Beaumaris), perhaps we could meet up sometime?

Bugger about your tools.
I learned the same lesson (the hard way) with lending a couple of irreplaceable books on Tae Kwon Do to someone many, many years ago. These days I only lend books (or tools) to a very select group of close friends. Some of them I wouldn't lend a book to, either ... Depends on the book!

I cannot even imagine what it would cost me to replace my tools with equivalent quality tools today (mostly Sidchrome - the ones with the lifetime guarantee ... ). Last time I priced a Warren & Brown aircraft tension wrench it was nearly a grand, and that was quite a long time ago - couple of decades ...

G'day again Tony

BTW, agree with your decision to keep your beastie. Once a car's more than a couple of years old, it is far cheaper to repair it than to buy a new one. Depreciation is a big killer expense when buying new.

Number 2 Colt hit the wall at around 200,000+ Kms in 2000 - a lot for a relatively cheap car of the times (mid to late 1980s). It needed a new body (the body structure was fine, but every other panel/door had terminal rust), yet another gearbox and yet another re-co engine. Too much to throw at it.

If Roo1 had suited my purposes, I would have kept it till it died - but it didn't really. Roo2 does ... :iconwink: :biggrin: :cool:

No worries about a meet up, will have to work something around my schedule, which is work long and mixed up hours and running off to the bush metal detecting most weekends.

Buying a new car doesn't guarantee you that it hasn't been thrashed, i see some stuff on the wharfs that make my blood boil. Its not my blokes or i kick them out of there, its the Stevedores from another company whom shall remain nameless..

I can buy fleet cars before they go to auction, so i would be going down that path before hand.

Bugger bout the tools...some people just use other's generosity! :shake:
Ditto that :madred:
I too have been stung the same way :eviltoyou:
If someone I know wants to borrow tools (or anything for that matter) now, I just say no.
If they need a hand with something, no problem :cool: I'm only too happy to give them a hand :) However, they need to either, drop over to my joint, or me to theirs :iconwink:

BTW, your Forry is still looking good & with the work you have planned, I'm sure it'll keep going strong for a few more years yet :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Ditto that :madred:
I too have been stung the same way :eviltoyou:
If someone I know wants to borrow tools (or anything for that matter) now, I just say no.
If they need a hand with something, no problem :cool: I'm only too happy to give them a hand :) However, they need to either, drop over to my joint, or me to theirs :iconwink:

BTW, your Forry is still looking good & with the work you have planned, I'm sure it'll keep going strong for a few more years yet :raz:

Regards
Mr Turbo

Thanks Mr T
I have looked on the forum but i cant find anyone cutting a lower LO range gear, am i missing something or are they all gone?

I saw a gearbox re-builder in Sydney who does a rebuilt box but mine is in fine fettle, just need the gears.

Hi again Tony

Being mostly retired, I can mostly be very flexible.

Coffee sometime?
Dirt roads being somewhat thin on the ground for about 50 kms in any direction ... :poke: :lol: :iconwink:

Back