Echo Basin - Freak Snowstorm on CR 665

ResDead

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
5 Speed Manual
Well that was interesting... it would appear my choice to use Blizzak WS80's as my off-roading tires has paid off. We have a saying here in Southwest Colorado: "If you don't like the weather, wait five minutes"

From lightly overcast, to hail, to dumping snow, to rain and all on a rugged trail with juuuuuuust enough clearance thanks to my crafty tire placement and offset.

20151020_160819.jpg

20151020_160839.jpg

20151020_160958.jpg

20151020_171403.jpg

20151020_172604.jpg

20151020_174731.jpg

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/00E_cSmxQL8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

apparently I suck at embedding video

Thanks, yeah it was pretty incredible how suddenly it changed. It was safer to keep going forward than try to turn around, even when I got to the cliff section in the video and my balls ran back up inside me.

We also have extremely variable weather here in Melbourne too, although not generally as extreme as that. Four seasons in one day, often more than once!

We don't have a 'climate' as such ... :iconwink:.

Glad that it didn't turn even nastier for you.

If anyone didn't notice the first photo and last photo are in the same spot

We had something like that driving down from Alta lake in July 2014. Hail whitened the road, water was flowing sideways rather fast, carrying some rocks as well.

I was glad it did not happen earlier in the day while descending Ophir Pass.

Haha just like NZ, four seasons in one day here too!

I remember one time about 7 years ago, going hunting up in Central with Dad, we were crawling up a track on Rough Ridge in low range to get to where the goats were on a beautiful early December summer's day. Out of nowhere a blizzard hits, plasters the side of the car in snow, and then buggers off again in less than half an hour, to the point where we had to stop at the top and let the old 3.2 diesel Terrano cool off as it had gotten so warm again! Yes, it was left running to circulate the fluids.

Gotta love rapid weather changes.

Gotta love the higher elevations. Never boring!

Back