jf1sf5

Forum Member
Car Year
'97
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
I have been very happy with the General Grabber AT's over the 5 last years but its time to change.

This time, I am going for Nokian Rotiiva AT's for different reasons. They have the PMSF symbol (winter rated) and '17's are released with aramid side walls.

The new General Grabber AT3 also has the PMSF symbol but I prefer the look of the Nokian...

https://www.nokiantyres.fr/pneus-ete/nokian-rotiiva-at/

They do look good - how do they compare in cost?

In the 215 70 16 size :

Cheapest "known" manufacturer like Toyo AT2's or Falken Wildpeak are around CHF 90 and most expensive like BF KO2's are CHF 130

Nokian Rotiiva AT is just CHF 100. All prices include tax and delivery but you can add another CHF 100 for mounting/4 wheels.

Love these tires so far, very comfortable. They have more of a light truck look (very square) as there is not much meat on the shoulders like the new BF AT's but the rubber is thicker and aramid should help against the sharp rocks.

Much better on the wet probably due to the winter rated rubber compound, they litterally stick to the road !

I have been very happy with the General Grabber AT's over the 5 last years but its time to change.

This time, I am going for Nokian Rotiiva AT's for different reasons. They have the PMSF symbol (winter rated) and '17's are released with aramid side walls.

The new General Grabber AT3 also has the PMSF symbol but I prefer the look of the Nokian...

https://www.nokiantyres.fr/pneus-ete/nokian-rotiiva-at/

The new Yokohama GO15 AT also now has the PMSF symbol.

Winter is here !

I know that most Subaru drivers live in warmer places than me but wanted to give a feedback about the Nokians. They are much better on cold/icy/snowy roads than my previous AT's.

Thanks. All ATs with winter symbols qualify for winter tires at check points but all reviews point out that true winter tires are superior to a typical winter-rated AT. I am not at all surprised, however, that a Finnish AT tire performs great in winter!

So you do get the Falken Wildpeak? They are cheaper than the competition here, I wonder why. I know they had issues with the early production of the latest version so they may be trying to crawl back out of that hole. I know they are reviewed extremely well for traction and I read that the latest version uses 2 ply tread sidewall but weaves the treads so as to mimic 4 ply, whatever that means. They are a bargain for Wranglers and Toyotas, considering the prices of the competition. I think that they have a size that the newest OBs can fit as well (29").

Yes, we get the Falken Wildpeaks here too and indeed they are the cheapest AT's in 215/70 16. Didn't know about their issues though but it could indeed explain the low price.

Did a 120 km trip in a snow storm last night. I can really recommend the Nokians for people living in alpine or continental countries. They are just amazing, even better than my winter Bridgestone Blizzak set !

Back