Cleaning the engine

lol I always make sure, after a trip out I clean every bit of the engine bay (or what I can get to) to prevent any problems that may occur in the future!

When i hose my engine bay i hose everything except the alternator every thing else gets wet i have never had a water problem before (touch wood)

Jan

When i hose my engine bay i hose everything except the alternator every thing else gets wet i have never had a water problem before (touch wood)

Jan

Same here.
I first hosed my engine with a medium spray then spayed it with engine degreaser, left it for 5mins then hosed it all off. Then left to dry for an hour with the bonnet open. Its extremely clean now :biggrin:

But if you are obsessive about it then get a can of WD-40 and a rag and go for your life :lol:

Too easy spray a WD40 or CRC in plugs (anti penetrating fluild) and use a degreaser. Leave degreaser on for 15- 20 minutes spray with high preasure. MAKE SURE ENGINE IS COLD. Repeat until engine is clean. Advoid high preasure to alternater,aircond kompressor and spark plugs directly. Best way to clean spark plug leads is to replace them!!!!!

heh... mine is just as bad, i have dried up mud all over my engine and i gotta clean it up as i have a slow oil leak somewhere and need to find out..

Normally I use de-greaser on a cold engine and high pressure clean it up, I havent done that for 4 yrs now.
Cheers
AP

Well I just gave my new girl a clean (not the engine, just the body) and now have a 'check engine' light. Too late tonight to muck about getting the error code. Maybe I got some water on some part of the engine I shouldn't have when I filled the windscreen washer? Took her for a lap about the block, and am not sure if it's me but she doesn't seem to be running as smoothly as before. I've a '99 Outback auto, any suggestions?

Alright, everyone calm down, crisis averted.. no idea what the issue was but the light's not on this morn. Situation normal.. phew.

I haven't cleaned the Lib's engine in the 6yrs it's been in there but I've hosed the WRX a couple of times, I always leave it running whilst I have the hose on it & I've never had a problem.

Spamming must be on special this weekend

Found a great car wash in Naracoorte, SA.
It has a low pressure soap & wash...great for the engine bay :ebiggrin:

I was still careful to avoid sensitive areas like the ECU, coil pack & alternator, also my headlights relays. Was very happy with how it shone in the sun :biggrin:

Thx :ebiggrin:

You should've seen it before, was filthy! Then after a trip to Robe we washed our cars here to remove the salt & i decided to do the engine bay as well.

Unfortunately Wyperfeld got it dirty again but such is the life of an offroad Subie lol

Alright, everyone calm down, crisis averted.. no idea what the issue was but the light's not on this morn. Situation normal.. phew.

Water on some sensor was likely to cause that. In the morning water has dried up, meaning everything back to normal. :)

Gidday Folks

I have hosed down every engine I have ever owned; usually with a high pressure nozzle on the hose for the last 20 years or so ...

Last time I had a problem was prior to cars with electronic ignition, and even that was more than 30 years ago ... Water in the distributor, of course.

I always do this to a cold engine, with it stopped.
After doing it, I always take the car for a short run around the block (1~2 kms) just to warm the engine up and throw off any water that's lying about.

BTW, I thought the ECUs in my Impreza and our Camry were under the passenger's feet, inside the vehicle. Also the case on quite a number of other vehicles, but I have never actually researched this. Is this still the normal location?

In all this time, I have never had so much as the slightest difficulty starting the engine, let alone anything else.

Not sure bout the SG Foz (your model) but on mine the ECU is on the engine up near the brake booster. Not ideal but way better than a footwell lol

Back