Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Gidday Taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by taza View Post
I feel that my Subaru's are more than just a car. When I drive other vehicles, holden's, Mazda's, Nissan's, etc... they just feel like a car. When I jump in a Subaru I feel more attached. More control, fun, feel from the car itself.

Especially my L-Series, it has alot of character for a car..
Don't worry, I feel the same.

Last time I made a list, about 20+ years ago, I had driven more than 1,000 different makes and models of passenger vehicles.

NONE of them approached Roo1 as far as driver attachment and involvement went. Not even my favourite touring car, the E-Type Jaguar; nor my favourite large sedan, the XJ-6 Jag (felt like driving an original Mini, just bigger).

Like driving a cruise missile on the open road ...
Old 16th June 2012, 08:42 PM

guzzla is on a distinguished road

Congrats Ratbag. The Foz looks great in that (Steel?) silver and you seem to have done a good deal.

Now everyone - to put everything in perspective, go read the compact SUV comparison in the May edition of "Wheels" magazine. What do you think?
Old 16th June 2012, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Gidday Guzzla

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzla View Post
Congrats Ratbag. The Foz looks great in that (Steel?) silver and you seem to have done a good deal.
Thanks mate. Only time will tell, I guess, but it looks good, and a good C/O deal, we reckon.
I think it's actually a sort of dark grey-green??

Quote:
Now everyone - to put everything in perspective, go read the compact SUV comparison in the May edition of "Wheels" magazine. What do you think?
Did a Trabant win?
Or a Lightburn Zeta?

Along with the rest of the media, I think they decided some years ago that Subaru had won these awards for COTY etc far too many times, and they could either pay for them in future, or they wouldn't get a mention ...

But seriously, what did Wheels have to say?
Old 16th June 2012, 09:25 PM

Year: 2014
Model: XV 2.0i-L "Black" Edition
Transmission: 6MT
aware is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratbag View Post
But seriously, what did Wheels have to say?
CX-5 won the comparison I believe.
VW Tiguan Second
Skoda Yeti Third (IIRC)

Last edited by aware; 16th June 2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 16th June 2012, 09:55 PM
Administrator

Gidday Aware

Quote:
Originally Posted by aware View Post
CX-5 won the comparison I believe. Mazda - most overrated brand IMO.
VW Tiguan Second
Skoda Yeti Third (IIRC)
Doesn't surprise me.

I used to subscribe to Wheels, about 45 years ago. They had the best tech specs section of any of them. Can't recall the last time I actually bought one. Must be well over 25 years ago.

Most modern cars are more than adequate for the job.
Some are still built using the truck technology of the 1940s (e.g. Ford F-250, which IS a truck ... ).

But I am reminded of the lack of feck of these magazines when the Renault Koleos was voted COTY by one of them. Like the Tribeca, it mainly liked living in dealerships ...

BTW, saw a Tribeca, along with a smattering of Libertys, OBs and Imprezas at the Holden dealer yesterday. The Tribeca was something like $40K! All the rest were more expensive than RonnyRoo ended up being, often by a lot.

SWMBO is still happy about it today - a good sign.
I suspect that once she has spent a couple of days driving it, she will be even happier. I don't miss Roo1 much at all. Every now and then there is a tiny twinge when I am wheeling it that the lower centre of gravity wouldn't hurt; but Roo2 doesn't exactly handle like a barge, either.

She has already noticed how handy the bonnet protector is for gauging where the front on the car is, as you pointed out upthread ...
Old 16th June 2012, 10:16 PM

Year: 2014
Model: XV 2.0i-L "Black" Edition
Transmission: 6MT
aware is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Gidday Aware

Doesn't surprise me.

I used to subscribe to Wheels, about 45 years ago. They had the best tech specs section of any of them. Can't recall the last time I actually bought one. Must be well over 25 years ago.

Most modern cars are more than adequate for the job.
Some are still built using the truck technology of the 1940s (e.g. Ford F-250, which IS a truck ... ).

But I am reminded of the lack of feck of these magazines when the Renault Koleos was voted COTY by one of them. Like the Tribeca, it mainly liked living in dealerships ...

BTW, saw a Tribeca, along with a smattering of Libertys, OBs and Imprezas at the Holden dealer yesterday. The Tribeca was something like $40K! All the rest were more expensive than RonnyRoo ended up being, often by a lot.

Wheels has changed a lot - I normally flick through each months issue at the uni shop, but rarely purchase it. They used to be one of the better magazines, but I now find a lot of the European magazines to be more informative - more expensive yes, but I rarely buy them so I can afford to spend that bit extra when I do.

Absolutely, most modern cars are more than adequate. However, I find that being adequate is not quite enough - the car has to grab your attention somehow. Whilst we didn't choose a Subaru to replace dad's Honda, I see many qualities from Subaru in the Skoda (Subaru was second preference). In the same way with the Wheels comparison, all the cars tested will accomplish the same thing, but at the end of the day, it's how you feel about the car overall. Having driven a Rav4, it'll do exactly the same as the Forester - do some light offroading, be a practical car etc, but at the end of the day, I was happy to be back behind the wheel of the '05.

I actually didn't mind the Tribeca - it would have been my pick if I needed a big family wagon (being 20 means I don't )
Quote:
SWMBO is still happy about it today - a good sign.
I suspect that once she has spent a couple of days driving it, she will be even happier. I don't miss Roo1 much at all. Every now and then there is a tiny twinge when I am wheeling it that the lower centre of gravity wouldn't hurt; but Roo2 doesn't exactly handle like a barge, either.
Glad that SWMBO is still happy with the decision. As you say, a few days behind the wheel and she'll be even happier (and probably will have forgotten about the Camry. )
Quote:
She has already noticed how handy the bonnet protector is for gauging where the front on the car is, as you pointed out upthread ...
It is one of the main things I notice between the 2 Foresters - the illusion of size. You sit in a higher position, and the front of the car feels a long way away. On the flipside, I have to remember that on my car, the bumper protrudes more than either of the other cars. So in reality, there's very little difference - purely a 'feel' thing.

Last edited by aware; 16th June 2012 at 10:20 PM.
Old 17th June 2012, 12:26 AM

thunder039 is on a distinguished road

congratulation ratbag enjoy the new car as i am sure you will
Old 17th June 2012, 01:31 AM
Administrator

Gidday Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder039 View Post
congratulation ratbag enjoy the new car as i am sure you will
Thanks, mate.

Even SWMBO isn't having any second thoughts this AM - rare for her ... .

She took to it right off, which is a very good sign with her.

Probably a bit more comfortable than Roo2, and of course the auto was non-negotiable. I had to keep pointing out to her over the last 6 months that the advertised price for new cars was generally anything between $10K and $15K less than one has to pay for what one actually wants!

Like RonnyRoo. You can buy a new X Forester for around $32K on-road. But us oldies get very used to our creature comforts, so you add in the auto, and the luxury pack for the X series, and you're up to around the high $30Ks.

RonnyRoo cost about $45K new, on the road. Our C/O price is around $23.5K, for a car that is extremely well kitted out, and neither old, nor with many Kms on it ...

Basically, buying like this, we end up with 2 excellent vehicles for less than the new price of one ... Makes a lot of sense to me!

All RonnyRoo needs is a set of sheep from Autobarn (about $250 for decent covers for the front seats; air-bag compliant, of course). We both like sitting on sheep ... .

Just swapped the almost brand new Bosch battery out of the Camry into Roo2 (same model/rating), and put the perfectly good but lot older Century battery from Roo2 into the Camry this morning. Lost my trip odometer settings in Roo2 ...

Also discovered how easy it is to put some aluminium mesh in front of the radiator in Roo2 for travelling in the country.
I think all modern cars are clipped together - not too many bolts in evidence!
Old 17th June 2012, 02:54 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also discovered how easy it is to put some aluminium mesh in front of the radiator in Roo2 for travelling in the country.
I think all modern cars are clipped together - not too many bolts in evidence!
photos please

Did you get a RACV check done on the new Foz? Any faults picked up?

With a Foz in reserve, now you can push Roo2 a bit more offroad...The Phasmid Tr & Gentle Annie Tr wont be open for several months, time to get a lift done lol
Old 17th June 2012, 02:57 AM

taza is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachaluva View Post
With a Foz in reserve, now you can push Roo2 a bit more offroad...The Phasmid Tr & Gentle Annie Tr wont be open for several months, time to get a lift done lol
Yep 6" blody lift and 3" strut lift should be enough. Subaxtreme front and rear bars, H6 engine swap and auto swap, raptor supercharger on the H6, weld all the diffs and your set. lol

Tags
brighton holden, consumer affairs victoria, crooks, sh forester