Bull bars

Wadegee

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Will a 2010 forester bull bar fit my sf5?

EXTREMELY unlikely, sorry.

Our SH is about 100+ mm wider than our SG, just for starters.

Keep an eye on Gumtree and Fleabay.

SubaXtreme bars come up from time to time.

That's how I came by mine for my series II SG. Tuckerbag saw it at a wrecking yard; knew how rare they are for the 2006/2008 models; so he bought it knowing that someone here would want it. Very kind of him, and thoughtful.

They generally sell s/h for around half new price if in very good to excellent condition. Anything less than that is generally good buying.

For the record, ANY bullbar or ANY grill guard will fit ANY vehicle with a little modification. If it's something you already have laying around or you can pick up on the cheap, and its worth paying a fabricator to do it, spend $60 to have someone measure it out against the mounting points and build you a custom bracket. That's what I'm doing on monday to mount a full grille guard/brush bar from a Suzuki SUV to my 2011 SH Forester

Last edited:
^ That's fine in some countries, RD.

However, here onOz we have to maintain compliance with the ADRs that apply to a vehicle for both legal and insurance reasons. i.e. the bar must have an air bag compliance certificate and an affixed compliance plate for the specific vehicle.

Otherwise your vehicle is automatically unroadworthy, voiding both insurances and incurring legal liabilities :(.

Oh wow so do all your bars need to be manufactured by a company to be certified and not just meet certain standards?

That must be eternally frustrating.

Not necessarily, however the alternative is to have it 'engineered' by a certified engineer who certifies that it complies with all relevant ADRs (Australian Design Rules). If you think that this can be difficult and expensive, you'd be right.

Far, FAR cheaper to just pay the toll and buy from a supplier who has had their design and build certified. One must not remove the compliance label/plate either!
Same thing applies to all trailers and caravans made since 1988.

Both my roo bar and sump guard were made by SubaXtreme, and have the relevant compliance certificates/plates. These compliance plates state both the make and model of vehicle, and the device is not certified if fitted to any other make/model of vehicle.

Hmmm... so that said, if all you're fabricating are the brackets that mount it to the car, but the bar design itself is airbag compliant, are you still legal? I know you may not have that answer but it definitely begs the question.

Have to agree with Kevin.

Even modifying a compliant item for the specific make/model in any way would require it to re-engineered, IMNSHO.

Back