Slide out platform for spare tyre access.

Barry

Forum Member
While working on wiring up the rear load area last week I was thinkig through a 'slide out load platform' to give access to the spare wheel.

What I am thinking of is:
1/. Remove wheel well cover;
2/. Hardwood mounts either side of the wheel well, for double length heavy duty draw slides.
3/. Another hardwood runner, 'sandwiched between the the bottom slide and a second draw slide above it.
4/. A platform, to hold fridge and luggage boxes, on top of the second set of slides.
5/. Fold down legs to support the cantilevered end of the platform, when open.

This would allow the platform, holding fridge, luggage boxes, etc, to be slid far enough out of the luggage area to give access to the spare tyre well. In particular this would avoide the need to remove my heavy auto fridge to access the wheel, jack, etc.

Access would be inconvnient but possible. Really don't like the thought of stuffing my back lifting the fridge while 'on the road'...

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited:
I think the concept is good - how much will it weigh I wonder? I reckon my rear drawers weigh approx 35 kgs (empty)

Hi Barry
What I did was to make an elevated shelf supported on metal brackets which allows you to get the spare tyre out without having to unload everything. The brackets are made from 25mm x 3mm steel bar that are vertical and attached to the 4 tie down points at the bottom and bent at at the top to be horizontal. You can't see them too well in the photo but they are at the end of the horizontal silver frame which is thin walled square steel tube bolted on top.

The fridge (on a slide) and food drawers are above the shelf and secured to the shelf. Big things that come out pretty easily are below the shelf like the stove, carton of drinks, table and chairs. I also have a 10 litre water container on the left hand side behind the wheel arch with a tap and hose for easy pouring.

I've managed to make brakets for my new car so the frame can be used in it as well.

https://picasaweb.google.com.au/lh/ph...eat=directlink

cheers Pecky

Looks good Pecky.
What is the shelf made of? I'd recon 12mm ply would be the minimum that would take the weight of the fridge.
It is all less of a problem for me now I have the 2nd spare mounted externally.
My fridge is very heavy, so I want to keep it as low as possible.
Am now thinking of a ply shelf 3/4 width, to leave room for fridge to open. together with a hinged / 2 part floor section abuve the original spare, so I can access the jack.

Back