OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > Tyres/Tires and Wheels

Notices

Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Unread 15th August 2018, 09:17 AM
ABFoz ABFoz is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Posts: 63
ABFoz is on a distinguished road
Default 4- vs 5-tyre Rotation

Hi everyone,


I am close to replacing the tyres on my 16s and would like to know if anyone on the forum does 5-tyre rotations. It is not on the manual but when I used to have 4x4s I always had at least 5 wheels of the same design and rotated them accordingly but with our Subarus, I am having a hard time looking for a spare wheel of the same design. At the moment, the only design I can get 5 pieces of is the stock BE BH Outback H6 wheel. I am not sure if the design suits the SG Forester.

I have the SH5 16" alloys, by the way. If I am going to do a 4-tyre rotation, I can always get any Forester/Outback 16" as a spare.

Based on your experiences, is a 5-tyre rotation on a Subaru overkill?

In my manual, it does not mention the 1.6mm maximum diameter difference across all tyres anymore but how sensitive is the AWD system really on tread wear differences? I was told by others that the transfer duty clutch solenoid can be affected by such differences. This would be very helpful if I am going to stick with the 4-tyre rotation but with a full-size spare which can or may be on a different wheel design.

Thanks,

Last edited by ABFoz; 15th August 2018 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Spacing
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Unread 15th August 2018, 09:36 AM
Ben Up North's Avatar
Ben Up North Ben Up North is online now
can only hope to improve
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: FNQ
Year: 2004 | 1992
Model: SG Forester X MY05 | SVX
Transmission: 5MT D/R | 4EAT
Posts: 776
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road
Default

I was thinking of doing a five wheel rotation, but had been concerned that this would mean that there would be slightly different wear on the left v right wheels as a result.

So I bought another rim and am going to be doing six wheel rotations, to ensure that wear is as even as possible on each side.

Dunno if it would be a problem to rotate with five wheels, but I have read/heard that it's best to replace all four tyres at once with Subaru AWD, to keep things as even as possible. whether that's relevant or not, again I dunno.

Bridgestone offer free rotations every 5000kms, not sure if other manufacturers do, but I imagine it would be pretty standard nowadays.

edit: I'm running the bog standard steelies, so finding another rim was pretty easy. So easy in fact that I've put them on my trailer as well (where the second spare will spend most of its life, potentially giving me 4 spares for the car when touring)
__________________
SLO White Foz, Quicksilver Tri-Colour SVX!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Unread 15th August 2018, 09:53 AM
Beachworm Beachworm is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brisbane Australia
Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Posts: 257
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default

I rotate all 5 tyres on my SH.

I fitted 5X 215.70.16 AT tyres and decided to rotate all 5 so the spare wears down at the same rate as the other tyres. This means if I get a flat and I'm a long way from a repairer I can run the spare for a long distance without causing any problems.

I bought them from K Mart Tyre and Auto and I get free wheel alignments, balance and rotations every 6 months free of charge. I'm not sure how they do the rotation but I did hear them say they put the left front back as the spare because it does the most work on roundabouts and U turns.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Unread 15th August 2018, 02:04 PM
scalman scalman is online now
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Lithuania
Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
Posts: 847
scalman is on a distinguished road
Default

Thing is if you have 5 you must rotate them as used them all because if not one will just be brand new and with time will not match other tires.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Unread 15th August 2018, 06:43 PM
Kevin's Avatar
Kevin Kevin is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sydney, Oz
Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Posts: 4,513
Kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

If you do a 4 wheel rotation on your auto you could use the spare on the rear and switch to FWD via use of the fuse.

I also do 6 wheel rotations and wouldn't run uneven tread depth tyres on a Subie.
__________________
MY'03 Foz AT XS with centre lock-up
MY'10 Triton AT GLX-R 2.5 DiD
www.subaruclub.com.au
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Unread 15th August 2018, 07:54 PM
ABFoz ABFoz is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Posts: 63
ABFoz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Up North View Post
edit: I'm running the bog standard steelies, so finding another rim was pretty easy. So easy in fact that I've put them on my trailer as well (where the second spare will spend most of its life, potentially giving me 4 spares for the car when touring)

Yes, I think the steelies would be much easier to sort out.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
I rotate all 5 tyres on my SH.

I fitted 5X 215.70.16 AT tyres and decided to rotate all 5 so the spare wears down at the same rate as the other tyres. This means if I get a flat and I'm a long way from a repairer I can run the spare for a long distance without causing any problems.

I bought them from K Mart Tyre and Auto and I get free wheel alignments, balance and rotations every 6 months free of charge. I'm not sure how they do the rotation but I did hear them say they put the left front back as the spare because it does the most work on roundabouts and U turns.

Do you have the same alloy design as your spare? Thanks.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
If you do a 4 wheel rotation on your auto you could use the spare on the rear and switch to FWD via use of the fuse.

I also do 6 wheel rotations and wouldn't run uneven tread depth tyres on a Subie.

Thanks. I am doing a 4-wheel rotation now. Though, I am not particularly keen on running FWD after having a tyre blowout in the trail.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Unread 15th August 2018, 08:03 PM
Beachworm Beachworm is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Brisbane Australia
Year: 2010
Model: Forester X Luxury, sump guard, bigger AT tyres and 50mm Subieliftoz lift, breather extensions
Transmission: Auto
Posts: 257
Beachworm is on a distinguished road
Default

My Forester came with 4 alloys and a steel spare. I sold them all and got 5 steel 16 inch wheels as I believe steels are better for off road. Although they are heavier, a big hammer can fix some damage. If you damage an alloy on rocks when tyres are at low pressure you can't use it for the rest of the trip.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Unread 15th August 2018, 09:03 PM
Kevin's Avatar
Kevin Kevin is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sydney, Oz
Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Posts: 4,513
Kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

I too replaced my OEM 16" wheels with 6 x 15" Speedy Sorroco II wheels which are alloy and have never had a problem even with all the rough treatment.
__________________
MY'03 Foz AT XS with centre lock-up
MY'10 Triton AT GLX-R 2.5 DiD
www.subaruclub.com.au
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Unread 15th August 2018, 09:05 PM
Kevin's Avatar
Kevin Kevin is online now
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Sydney, Oz
Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Posts: 4,513
Kevin is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABFoz View Post
I am not particularly keen on running FWD after having a tyre blowout in the trail.
I agree!
__________________
MY'03 Foz AT XS with centre lock-up
MY'10 Triton AT GLX-R 2.5 DiD
www.subaruclub.com.au
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Unread 15th August 2018, 10:01 PM
ABFoz ABFoz is offline
Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Year: 2005
Model: Forester XS
Transmission: 4EAT
Posts: 63
ABFoz is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachworm View Post
My Forester came with 4 alloys and a steel spare. I sold them all and got 5 steel 16 inch wheels as I believe steels are better for off road. Although they are heavier, a big hammer can fix some damage. If you damage an alloy on rocks when tyres are at low pressure you can't use it for the rest of the trip.

Yes. If I find it really hard to get an extra wheel similar to what I have now, I may just go with the steelies as it seems like they're abundant.


I agree with you on the the repairability of the steelies. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 06:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.