• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Fitting CB/GPS in 05 Outback Dash.

Barry

Forum Member
Unlike the Gen 3, the Gen 4 Outback ,late 04 - late 09, does not have a spare DIN slot for a CB radio.
In fact, the Gen 4 face plate is designed as 'all in one', so it isn't even possible to fit an after-market radio in place of the original.
Certainly not possible to fit 'double DIN' video interface radio CD / carputers, etc.
In order to fit my UNIDEN combined CB&GPS I have removed the 'sunglasses pocket' between the two air vents.
Have manufactured a bracket to secure the radio. This just fits between the air vents:

Installation steps were"

1. Remove 'sunglasses pocket' [slide thin trim remover tool between 'case' and air vents].
  2. Unplug cable to 'pocket' LED.
  3. Remove air vents [slide thin tool between side / lower edge of vent and dash].
  4. Unplug cable to multi function gauge.
  5. Fabricate bracket to suit radio and bolt to holes in dash sub-structure at rear of radio.
  6. bolt sides of bracket to mounting holes in radio (5mm metric thread on mine.).
  7. Re-insert air vent fascia.
A standard DIN radio size will sit proud of the dash, but should not be a danger with modern seat belts and air bags.
There is a small gap above the radio and a slightly larger gap between the bottom of the radio and the 'multi function gauge', sufficiently wide to poke the curly mic cable.
It certainly places the display and controls of the radio / GPS in the driver's sight plane.

My main issue now is finding a suitable power and earth source. I am thinking of running the line to the 'cigar lighter' connections. Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Will post a pic of the radio in place, in case it is of any use to others.

Last edited:
in my 05XT there is a spare wiring harness with a switched 12v supply on the right of the steering wheel. Your Outback may have similar?

I can't help with your query sorry Barry, as I vowed to leave the auto-electrics in this car to a professional. I like your idea of the placement for your GPS/CB, as I can mentally picture the sunglass pocket you've removed.

Regards,

Joel

I that area of the dash I usually connect stuff to the lighter circuit.

Rep, recon thats what I'll do.

onebob, where did you mount the GPS 'mouse'? Did you leave the wire coiled, or run it out? (Does extending the wire improve GPS, or is it just the 'head' that does the reading?
If left coiled, can it just sit on top of the radio?
I'm thinking across the top of the glove box, out the end of the dash then up the passenger side windscreen pillar, behind the trim.

Last edited:
Looks nice Barry!

I placed a metal plate in one of the din slots under my stereo I think i'm going to install my offroading switches in it, for lights and cooling fans override.
Legacy23.jpg

Nate

Rep, recon thats what I'll do.

onebob, where did you mount the GPS 'mouse'? Did you leave the wire coiled, or run it out? (Does extending the wire improve GPS, or is it just the 'head' that does the reading?
If left coiled, can it just sit on top of the radio?
I'm thinking across the top of the glove box, out the end of the dash then up the passenger side windscreen pillar, behind the trim.

Hi Barry...... see attached pic for my solution. It worked brilliantly there. Extending the wire doesn't improve the gps performance ...... just need to pay attention to 'skyview'. velcroing it to the top corner of the windscreen and tucking the wire under the A pillar trim is a good solution. My son-in-law did this with his Uniden in his Pajero.

IMG_0068.jpg

onebob

CB & GPS as fitted.

Here 'tis as fitted. (Only 'sitting in place' in this pic.)
P5240442.jpg

Works fine and easy to read display, reach controls, microphone, etc.
There is sufficient room for 3 switches with rocket covers located horizontally below the unit! :monkeydance:

1. Fan cut-off & buzzer, :cool:
  2. Front driving lights, :lildevil:
  3. Rear fog light. :twisted:

Back