Old 11th October 2017, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Kevin is on a distinguished road

Kool - a lot of fun!
Old 14th October 2017, 08:58 PM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

Good vid & a pretty tough track. The Jeep guys said it couldn't be done in a Subaru...so they did!
Old 14th October 2017, 11:38 PM
Contributing Member

MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Yup. That's moderately difficult for the JK Wrangler Jeeps, so this is a real accomplishment. It is the highest rated trail I have seen any Subaru complete in the US SW.

Still, it is a 5/6 trail on a scale of 10 and it is apple and oranges when it comes to a Wrangler. You can take the cheapest JK trim there stock, brand new, with your kids and not sweat it out. It won't spin wheels or find the rocks big. Would you take there a Subaru with any market value?

In fact, I am still to find anyone other than myself who takes newer Subarus on 4x4 roads with any regularity in the SW. Everything you see on the internet is older models with little market value and often significant mods. Jeeps like that go on 9-10 rated trails, not 5-6.

The good news is that Subaru does not compete with Wrangler whatsoever. One rules the dirt, the other the rocks. I would not trade my Subaru for a Wrangler--or vice versa. I want both though the Wrangler will have to wait a few more years. There is no comparison between the two; each is at the top of its own food chain.
Old 15th October 2017, 12:21 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
The good news is that Subaru does not compete with Wrangler whatsoever. One rules the dirt, the other the rocks. I would not trade my Subaru for a Wrangler--or vice versa. I want both though the Wrangler will have to wait a few more years. There is no comparison between the two; each is at the top of its own food chain.
I agree, although wouldn't say Jeeps are at the top. They're not very popular here because they're too unreliable. An 80 Series Landcruiser will do anything a Jeep can but be able to do it over & over again with no breakdowns. A GQ Patrol is even tougher. Apparently the old Jeeps are good though.

I wouldn't trade my Subie either. Even though mine is a very basic 20 yo Forester, it's still more comfortable than a 4wd & less tiring on long drives. It handles great & is fun to drive around town. Plus easy to park.

But it's on dirt roads, soft sand & steep slippery tracks that Subies really shine. We regularly climb sand dunes that even heavily modded 4wds just can't do. Subies ftw!
Old 15th October 2017, 12:37 AM
Contributing Member

Yup, I agree. Also, I know Jeeps are not great in Australia, but they are the top dog for the rocky and narrow trails of the US SW, hands down. The Land Cruiser is not and others like the Unimog cannot even fit. There are also some extremely capable US trucks, like the Ford Raptor but those wheelbases are a liability in the SW.

Also, the price of a Land Cruiser in the US is hilarious. I can get a top of the line 4dr Wrangler Rubicon Recon (lots more capable than an LC) and a WRX STi for the price of 1 Land Cruiser. There is no way I have that money and spend it on an LC!

The Wranglers are reliable enough here, the current generation anyway. It is other Jeeps that are at the bottom of the reliability rankings.

The new JL Wrangler will be shown soon. There is a lot to like from what I have seen. They won't match Toyota dependability but if they are just as reliable as the outgoing model, that will be okay. Plus, the Wrangler has a fun factor Toyota cannot match (removable everything, easily modifiable everything with tons of options, etc).

There just isn't much need for overlanding here, which is where LC excels. Rock crawling is more the name of the game, which is where the correct Wrangler trims (Rubicon) have no equal.

Last edited by Kevin; 16th October 2017 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Unnecessary use of "Quote"
Old 15th October 2017, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiddleAgeSubie View Post
Also, the price of a Land Cruiser in the US is hilarious. I can get a top of the line 4dr Wrangler Rubicon Recon (lots more capable than an LC) and a WRX STi for the price of 1 Land Cruiser. There is no way I have that money and spend it on an LC!
Damn that's crazy lol.

Quote:
There just isn't much need for overlanding here, which is where LC excels. Rock crawling is more the name of the game, which is where the correct Wrangler trims (Rubicon) have no equal.
There are plenty of newer LCs here worth $50-100k with $30k plus of mods but you don't see many of them that get taken out on 4wd tracks. Like you say they're mostly used for touring the outback & towing caravans
Old 15th October 2017, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

Back in the 90s I was a big LC fan. Now when I could actually get a used one, I am "meh."

Plus, the last gen US models are not only pricey, but also dialed down on offroad capability. The LC per se comes with open front and rear differentials and a little more minimum ground clearance than a Subaru. In order to get adjustable suspension, one needs to pay for the Lexus version of the thing. It is still made with a 25-year service life in mind, but at that price point, the exceptional dependability and reliability add nothing to a vehicle used in the lower 48 states. For Alaska, or other very large and remote areas, I can understand how supreme dependability = the ultimate luxury. But here? Nope.

By the way, that is the actual Land Cruiser. The smaller and cheaper Prado sells in the US as Lexus GX 460 and since 2013 comes with an approach angle of--wait for it--23 deg, which is what I have with your lift and oversize tires. This is just the bare minimum needed for any actual 4x4 tracks here.
Old 16th October 2017, 04:20 AM
Administrator

Kevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NachaLuva View Post
There are plenty of newer LCs here worth $50-100k

More likely $59K (base model Prado) to $120-130K for a Sahara! then add options!

I've probably said it before, my son had a Wrangler and it was great offroad i.e. spent more time in the workshop than onroad. But, really, when working it was an awesome machine but getting it home was always the problem!