OFFROADSUBARUS.com

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.com > General Forums > Members Journals

Notices

Old 5th October 2017, 01:40 AM

andymccauley is on a distinguished road

This guy doing the work with his mill

Finished product

Last edited by andymccauley; 5th October 2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 6th October 2017, 02:28 AM

So this thing is pretty much ready now, I planned on dropping it in today but then realized I needed to reseal the oil separator plate and wrist pin access plate too and I forgot I needed to get a couple bits for impact driver to get them off... Searched and finally got some at Home Depot, they only had 2 luckily I got them both cuz 1 broke after the 6th screw.

But got all that sealed and tight now it's ready to drop in.

Old 7th October 2017, 02:53 AM

Wasn't the most enjoyable engine install but it's in after alot of adjusting. Actually fits in there pretty well.

Old 7th October 2017, 11:23 PM

El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymccauley View Post
Wasn't the most enjoyable engine install but it's in after alot of adjusting. Actually fits in there pretty well.
After looking at your second last post, you can see that your clutch plate/disc is not centred in the pressure plate. This means you would have struggled to get it all lined up during the fitting of the engine to the gearbox.

And that flywheel machining for the changed bolt pattern - looks awesome! I'm only ever seen hand filed ones. Not my fav thing to look at and was the reason why I swapped EJ cases with my L series box (but you guys don't get the dual range EJ boxes over there )

So now that the engine is in, have you worked out where/how you'll lay the wiring out? I'm assuming you'll be running the EJ wiring into the cab and mounting the ECU under the dash somewhere rather than doing the ammo box mount in the spare tyre area...

Will your fuel pump/filter stuff currently in the spare tyre area be moved/mounted in a different or better location?

Cheers

Bennie
Old 8th October 2017, 04:01 AM

I didn't have an alignment tool, just eyeballed it, wasn't actually that bad if the car wasn't parked off to the side of my driveway close to my house maneuvering the hoist and things would've been easier.

Ya man, that dude did his own for his swap, fancy HUGE machine. Gotta have a forklift to move it lol.

I haven't even begun to start wiring yet, the dash is out, so ya I'm planning on running all of the legacy wiring and just adapting things to it that are different.

As for the fuel pump I'm hoping I can find a spot near the gas tank to mount it, all that stuff that's still in there is for the old Weber that was in there. So yes all that is coming out.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:04 AM

Got the legacy throttle cable in today, need to make a spacer between the manifold and the cable bracket and it should be good, removed some material from the plastic mounting point so it would fit in the firewall. After I fab a a spacer it should work great.

Started removing the rest of the wiring, the taillight harness is hacked up with alot of wire nuts and other bs that needs repaired. Gunna pull the taillight harness farther out and repair it without pulling it all the way through the rear panel so I don't have to remove the panel, somehow push the legacy harness through the same route and splice those together.
Old 9th October 2017, 08:39 AM

El_Freddo is on a distinguished road

Ah yeah, a full legacy harness swap.

Interesting. That should keep you entertained for a while. I've heard of this being done on an L series some time back and I think it worked well.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Bennie
Old 9th October 2017, 10:03 AM

Thanks! I think it will for a little bit lol.

Last edited by Kevin; 9th October 2017 at 07:54 PM. Reason: Unnecessary use of "Quote"
Old 9th October 2017, 10:05 AM

I've been wondering about the fuel lines on this thing before I even pulled the EA out and I found a post last night about how the older EA81 cars varied in the fuel supply and return lines. Some only had 2 some had 3 lines. But the return is tiny, almost like the vacuum and return are the same size, I gotta follow lines and double check to make sure I even have 3.
Old 13th October 2017, 01:29 AM

Got my drive belt from rockauto today, a whole 7 bucks including shipping.