Very clever!
Old 30th September 2017, 09:26 AM

Year: 2011
Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Auto 4sp
Oldman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subaru Man View Post
I've been trying to think of a way to squeeze a larger tyre into my spare wheel well without potentially having to smash & bash.
Just wondering Subaru Man, if you were to release and remove the straps while its in the spare wheel well and then inflate it hard - would that stretch the wheel well sufficiently to fit the oversize spare in when normally inflated?
Old 2nd October 2017, 06:07 AM

Year: 2016
Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Subaru Man is on a distinguished road

Hi Oldman. I am not sure but I think it is a creative idea and there is only one way to find out. I would definitely give it a go if I was happy to change the stock wheel well. I am certain that if it doesn't create a custom fit then the tyre will be well and truly stuck until deflated again! If I was trying this technique I wouldn't remove the ratchet strap completely as I think it would be very hard to get it back on again, even if the tyre was deflated again (as in deflated as far as it can be without the use of the ratchet strap). If you wanted to inflate the tyre just loosen the ratchet strap, so that it is in place for when you want to tighten it again to deflate the tyre beyond the usual deflation amount.

Since I deflated the tyre with the ratchet strap I have never needed to use the ratchet strap to get it back in again, as it has always stayed sufficiently deflated in the usual round tyre shape. It served me well for a week in Fraser Island although I didn't have to call upon it. It was good having it tucked away in the wheel well though and if needed I could have easily pumped it up with the compressor that I had with me.
Old 4th October 2017, 10:50 PM

Year: 2011
Model: Forester XT
Transmission: Auto 4sp
Oldman is on a distinguished road

I'll be facing this spare space problem too soon.

The idea came from the thought that there would be times when you can't fluff around with a wheel change.

I can imagine some situations where the extra time would be a PITA, BUT when you think about it practically, whatever you do, when a wheel change is required, you have to unpack the stuff in the back, pull the spare out, remove and stow the road wheel and put your stuff back in the back - really, its just a little extra time deflating (if required) and strapping the road wheel to go into the spare wheel well - not such a great drama I suppose.

Anyhow I had a look underneath the SH - I can't see impediments to the slight stretch required of the metal making up the wheel well so, as you say, it might just work. I'll let you know how I go when I get the new wheels/tyres.

If that doesn't work, I'll have to make up some forms for use with a hydraulic cylinder....
Old 5th October 2017, 03:07 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Is the spare part of a 5 tire rotation?

If not, cant you use a strong AT like KO2 and a stock size spare? That should not be an issue until pavement. Once on pavement, you would be limited either way w/o 5 tire rotation.

Consider that tires can lose 1" of diameter between new and 5/32nds.

I currently use 225 65 17 KO2 or 225 60 17 Continental AT. My spare is 225 65 17 ATS. It is old and has the same diameter as the new Contis and is not too far from the KO2s which have 9/32.

I have not had to use it offroad yet. Punctured an ATS on road once when I had those.
Old 5th October 2017, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Itfits in the well a little sideways.
Old 5th October 2017, 09:01 AM

Year: 2016
Model: Forester
Transmission: CVT
Subaru Man is on a distinguished road

I think if you can fit it in fully inflated then great. I am happy to put it in fully deflated. I may well get a flat after typing this but I haven't had a flat tyre for about 25 years so I either need to be more adventurous or maybe I have had good luck. I haven't done extreme off-road driving but have done plenty of country / gravel roads and sand and never come to grief. So, while I may need a spare of course I am confident enough to think that it is relatively unlikely.

It was a bit fiddly to put the straps on the first time but I think that with a bit of practice it would be easy to do so without it being too much of a pain. I would be interested to hear how you go with it.
Old 30th October 2017, 02:50 AM

Year: 2007
Model: Forester x
Transmission: Auto
Vert is on a distinguished road

Did anyone try the inflated tyre to expand wheel well trick? Not sure you would get the pressure required.

Sounds interesting and neater rather then bashing it out.
Old 30th October 2017, 05:17 AM

Venom is on a distinguished road

I've tried it. The problem I seemed to encounter was the tyre deforming and popping out because of the way the bottom edges of the wheel well are tapered. That was even with the rim hard to the floor and fixed with the retaining bolt. I got my tyre to around 80PSI with no noticeable effect.

Maybe using a bigger tyre and ratchet strapping it in, removing the strap and inflating will do the trick.

FYI I have deformed and put a permanent step in the sidewall of my spare tyre from jamming it in there.
Old 30th October 2017, 09:15 AM

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X
Transmission: Stock 5 Speed Hi/Lo Manual
Ben Up North is on a distinguished road

Interersting thread,
just about to try and jam a 215/65/16 in my SG wheel well - standard sized is 215/60/16, so I've got about 20mm more in diameter to try and squeeze in. I reckon I've got about 18mm diameter of space around the existing one. ...Which is actually one of the original tyres of the car. Had the car since new (2004), never had a flat. I think I'll probably get a few over the next few years of its life
Oops. I'm rambling again.