An alternative to a dedicated CEL code scanner

Ok, manage to get it to connect up to the point where I get the message searching protocols, does that for a few moments then drops out.

Unplug the dongle leaving the app running. Plug the dongle back in with the ignition switched to ACC, or with the engine running.

It might also be necessary to restart the app.

Last edited:
Might consign this thing to death by hammer, way too much hassle. I just want to plug it in and have it work. I'll look at one that doesn't require a blootooth connection.

Sorry if this is blindingly obvious, but have you tried turning BlueFang on your device off, then back on again?

Bluetooth can be as flakey as any other wireless communication protocol IME. Sometimes even flakier ... :poke: :(.

Sorry if this is blindingly obvious, but have you tried turning BlueFang on your device off, then back on again?

Bluetooth can be as flakey as any other wireless communication protocol IME. Sometimes even flakier ... :poke: :(.

Yep, tried another device, resets, on/off, standing on one leg and every start up combination. I have ordered one that has this old fashioned thing called a USB cable. The only other thing is that maybe my OBD port isn't working, because I can get it to the point of searching for protocols before it drops out.

Last edited:
My mate bought the $12 one. It gives him connection problem everytime compare to my $40 one. My one just connects to Torque whenever i open the app.

Gidday TB

Are you using Torque Pro or Torque Lite?

The dongle I bought works fine with my SG, our SH and a mate's Suzuki Grand Vitara. But it only works with my SG if I unplug it every time I turn the ignition off.

Just did the first half of the test to see if this behaviour is the same with the SH.

I suspect that it is a bug in Torque Lite with Subies, because they don't turn the power off to the OBD port when the ignition is off.

Did the second part after a trip to Officeworks in the SG.

Left the dongle plugged in to the SH port, which also remains on when the ignition is off and key removed.

Didn't put the key in the ignition when we got back just over an hour later, and tried to connect by restarting Torque Lite. The orange light on the dongle didn't respond. Turned the engine on, then the orange light on the dongle started to flicker and Torque connected to it properly.

Will now try the same experiment with the SG. Maybe Torque Lite has been updated since my last attempts?

OK. With the SG, the dongle does not even try to communicate after the ignition is switched off, left for 10 minutes, then switched back on again. The orange and green leds on the dongle don't blink at all.

Seems that the fault is with this adapter when used in the SG. I might have to buy one that has a switch on it, or something ... :shrug:.

I use Torque Pro - no problems with connecting.

Thanks for that info Kevin.

Can you do a little experiment for me?

With the ignition off and the dongle plugged in for an hour or so, can you start Torque Pro and watch the LEDs on the dongle?

In our SH, these start flashing when I start Torque Lite, but are as dead as Dodos with the same process in the SG.

Secondly, what brand of dongle do you have in your SG?

Plugged in now (was in the Triton) - will check in an hour or so

So, yes, the lights start flashing and it connects after an hour of the ignition being off. The brand is "Vgate Scan"; my son got it for me - off fleabay I imagine

Thanks, mate.

The one I have works perfectly in our SH, just doesn't work properly in our SG.

I will search for the one you have, as I want to be able to leave this plugged in all the time when travelling.

OK, next question is which one?

These seem to be identical to the ones made by Banggood - i.e. the company that made the one I already have! Maybe I need the v1.5 model?? My current one is a v 2.1.

Thanks, Kevin.

I will investigate this further. Weird that mine works fine in the SH, but not in the SG??

I got my USB OBD 2 reader today. Took a bit of playing in Windoze to get the reader to work and messing with Serial to USB drivers (It's not plug and play). Got it sorted out pluged into the port and I get nothing. I'm assuming I have a problem with my OBD2 port. It's dark and I can't see if the reader is fully home as the connector is deeply recessed into the dash. Failing that, other than checking that the connector has wires connected round the back is there anything special I need to do. It's like the port isn't activated.

Back