Motorkhana 8th September 2018

Rally

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
WRX
Transmission
6 Speed
A week after Subinats and I was back at it again. This time my focus was quite different. At a Subinats, it was all about entertainment value for the crowd, the passengers and myself. For this event, I was looking at getting a time.

The problem would be navigation, with which I always struggle. Only when you are confident of where you are going can you be in a position to get a time and improve your driving. It’s a bit like going to a race circuit with a new car with a base setting, then sorting the car out to suit the circuit and conditions.

So to be 3rd outright on my first course, and second in class, was indeed a good start. The truth is navigation wise it was not that hard. Which was obvious when I got lost on the next 2 courses! There ended any chance of a good overall result.

My other results for the day included a 7th, a 5th, a 4th and another 3rd. Those results broadly indicate the degree of difficulty with the navigation. However, for the first time I was analysing my performance at driving and where I was losing time.

I think the biggest area for improvement was getting the sweet spot between bogging down and wheelspin out of the corners. Most of the quicker guys are running 2.5 litre engines, or smaller turbos on the 2 litre. With the 2.5, as I know with the Forrie, there is so much torque that it’s a lot easier not to bog down, so you don’t need to be as aggressive on the throttle. So you don’t lose time with wheelspin. My turbo comes on pretty hard, so not ideal for motorkhanas.

Still, I enjoyed myself and was pleased with how I went.

Sounds like fun -- left foot braking may be one way to keep on boost?

Left foot is on the clutch pedal

Sort of need to to both stop the engine from stalling and to disengage the rear wheels from the gearbox so the handbrake works

Porsche have done an interesting thing to reduce losing boost, when you take your foot of the go pedal, they leave the throttle valve open and cut fuel (and probably do a lot of other stuff too I guess). Apparently works a treat.

There's a nice little side project for you. :)

I have the option of anti lag, but it’s not good for the turbo.

I don't know enough (anything really) about tubos to know why it would be bad for it.

I don't know enough (anything really) about tubos to know why it would be bad for it.

Many (most) anti-lag systems work by retarding timing &/or dumping fuel into the exhaust so that you get combustion in the pre-turbo manifold to keep the turbo spooled.

Works - but tends to burn exhaust valves and turbines.

This videao explains it a bit if your interested in the porsche solution.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18AP4R_btKI"]Porsche's Anti-Lag System Doesn't Use Any Fuel - YouTube[/ame]

Back