Bang from rear end then slippage. Help!

Tweaksta

Car Year
Transmission
5MT
Hey all,

I am down the coast near Batemans Bay on a short holiday and have lost AWD. It feels like I have a slippy 3wd. After doing some trails in the state forest I heard a knock or two when turning left. A few km later it made a bang while turning and I felt it through the driveline. After that, it now feels like something is slipping and I can't climb steep hills without using ungodly rpm which feels like it might harm my diffs....

I need to drive 300km home tomorrow.

Any ideas?

Tweaksta

Forgot to mention, I know a mechanic in Milton 80km away. With one slipping cv will 80km of driving at freeway speeds harm my centre or rear diff?

flatbed it.

you're likely to root your center diff (and possibly the front or rear diff) if a wheel has lost drive.

^ agree. Get it repaired locally and maybe hire a car if you need to get home today?

Hey all. Made it home.

A guy in Moruya said he could fix it but couldn't get the part until Monday....so I called my mechanic in Sydney who set me up with a mechanic in Milton 80km away. I nursed the car 80km on the main freeway (wasn't too bad at all - surprisingly little slippage at speed) to Milton. The part arrived from Nowra 2 hours later, then an hour for fitting and I was back on the road. Good to have AWD again.

Bang from the rear end, then slippage? Goes with the territory unfortunately. I bet you're glad you carried plenty of Sorbent with you.

Back