Best way to recover a 15 Outback

Hello waffle boards!

You know, I have been thinking exactly the same for a year! Bridging and approach angle issues. Now we are talking.

The problem is weight and space. Do you have kids? If not, what are you waiting for! LOL. I have barely room for the TREd 1100 amd thw boards are 48" which means they only fit in one small section of the cargo area.

I ordered a pair of waffle boards!! I got in contact with my local Fibergrate distributor and they hooked me up with 43"x12"X1.5 inch grip surface boards for $150!! If you are thinking about getting some definitely try to find a local fibergrate dealer the guy that helped me was super helpful and you can't beat the savings!! I'll post more on how they work once I get a chance to test 'em out :biggrin:

Shovel and bowsaw, plus some time will get you out of most situations. If you got in forwards, good chance you ca get out backwards. A lot of people forget this second bit. You can carry almost everything or very little, theres a thread in ors recovery section listing what people usually take and sometimes what car they have.

Your a lucky man, my dog thins he owns the passenger seat to the point its better off people sit in the back when hes in the car.

Waffleboard ramps, look for a scaff or industrial supplier, its used for walkways and is about half the price for a 1x1 square. Also if you get any use gloves the fiberglass comes off sometimes.

Haha what we won't do for our pets. Lol ;)Thanks for the reasurance I keep imagining getting stuck so bad that I'll look like a complete idiot when I gotta get a jeep to pull me out, its nice to hear that's not likely gonna be the case!!

Also thanks for the tip on the waffle boards saved me enough money to buy a rack extender to mount them to! Have you personally used waffle boards? Besides using gloves is there anything else you can tell me about using them correctly?

I ordered a pair of waffle boards!! I got in contact with my local Fibergrate distributor and they hooked me up with 43"x12"X1.5 inch grip surface boards for $150!! If you are thinking about getting some definitely try to find a local fibergrate dealer the guy that helped me was super helpful and you can't beat the savings!! I'll post more on how they work once I get a chance to test 'em out :biggrin:

That's sounds great! My dealer is not that close to me.

Where are you located? I wonder if your dealer could ship me a pair to Phoenix adding shipping on top of the price you got.

The size is perfect and the price is good.

They can support the car's weight as a ramp, right?

More (DIY) soft shackle discussion, including a stress to failure test.
https://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=22517

Note the complete lack of flying debris!

Thanks for the link. I'm definitely a DIY kinda guy so I really want to try and make these! One question tho since Soft shackles are presumably safer upon breaking would there be any point making the shackel with a rope that's breaking strength is just slightly lower than that of the 6000kg snatch strap so that the shackel would fail before the rope breaks and before any damage is done to the car? This might be a dumb idea but I was trying to think of a way that something else would fail before damage was done to the car, any ideas???

That's sounds great! My dealer is not that close to me.

Where are you located? I wonder if your dealer could ship me a pair to Phoenix adding shipping on top of the price you got.

The size is perfect and the price is good.

They can support the car's weight as a ramp, right?

I'm located in PA here is a link to the distributer https://www.designplasticsystems.com/contact-us
Ask for Emmitt he's the one I delt with and I actually told him there might be others interested and I'd send them to him just tell him Chad referred you, as long as they still have scraps I'm sure he'll hook you up!

As far as using them as ramps I don't want to say for 100% sure till I have mine to test, but there are guys using the exact same material as ramps for really heavy vehicles like hummers and stuff, they are using 2" thick but that seems to be over kill for our light cars they actually recomend 1.5 inch for lighter cars plus the boards don't weigh as much either. Win win! If you want to wait to order till I get mine I can post some pics of me testing them to verify that this brand is up to snuff but I'm reasonably sure it is. Check out this video also [ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J7aFlZON0TQ"]Land Rover near fail on steep drop! - YouTube[/ame] I'm assuming the ramps will droop less for us since we weigh much less than that rover.

Also, I'm brain storming an idea for mounting these to the basket using hardware store stuff, if my plans don't fail me it will be a contained mounting system so no parts of the mount have to be removed to remove or secure the boards so there aren't any loose wingnuts to be lost on the trail. :iconwink: plus it's a completely reversible mount so no drilling the rack or any thing. Really excited to see if it works! I'll get you the info on that right away if it does!!

Hmm...PA is a bit far...I hoped SoCal. Curious about shipping, but certainly interested.

Yes, please do let me know about them, either here or via PM, any way you prefer.

I would love to have a pair within a month.

Btw, while I agree that we are not as heavy as trucks, we are not light weight either.

GVW can reach 4,700 and realistically, I can hardly ever be under 4,200 lb on trail even though my kids are little.

ok will do!, I'd still ask how much shipping would be bc the ramps them self are such a good price! Enjoy your Sunday!

Btw, while I agree that we are not as heavy as trucks, we are not light weight either.

GVW can reach 4,700 and realistically, I can hardly ever be under 4,200 lb on trail even though my kids are little.

This is true! I hope I wont regret getting the 1.5" inch ones..:eek:

No worries mate, although when i say a little time...It took me about 6 hours once to get myself out of a bog hole alone. Another vehicle could have pulled me out in the time it took to offer the driver a 6pack.

Haha yeah buddy, I guess a six pack should go on my recovery gear list :rotfl: I'm mostly gonna be solo on my trips(besides passengers) so it's good to know I can get myself out if I have to!! Have a good one mate!

MiddleAgeSubie,

Thought you might find this comparison of the two thicknesses of boards off of a British 4x4 site. from what they are saying the thickness doesn't determine if it'll hold the weight but more how far you can span so from the way I plan on driving the 1.5 inch sounds like it sould be good moderate ditches and gullies is all I really want to cross anyway bc incase the car slips off I want to have my car one piece not stuck in a ditch. I assume the same theory of moderate use applies to using them as a ramp and since breakover angle will be the limiting factor unless your climbing a flat ledge I think it still should be good enough.idk let me know what you think. Anyway hope you find this helpful :)

38mm thick with a 38 x 38mm square mesh pattern. These "Standard DutyTracmats" will comfortably withstand the weight of your vehicle accross moderate ditches and gullies.

https://www.paddockspares.com/pm1070-waffle-boards-pair-standard-duty-green-1465-x-308-x-38mm.html

50mm thick with a 50 x 50mm square mesh pattern. These "Heavy Duty Tracmats" are the real heavy weight champions. These big boys are ideal for the roughest terrain, with increased spanning and loading capabilities.

https://www.paddockspares.com/pm1071-waffle-boards-pair-heavy-duty-grey-1508-x-310-x-50mm.html

Back