Buffeting (Wind) Noise with Lift

Escher

Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
6MT
About a year ago, I installed 1" HDPE spacers (and 1 1/4" in rear) and standard height King Springs on my MY06 Forester. I also took the occasion to install KYB struts for all corners, as the rear SLS struts were shot. I'd guess ride high increased 30-35mm. I love the increased clearance and vastly improved handling, even if the Kings are harsh compared to OEM springs. However, the lift has dramatically increased wind noise at highway speeds.

Here's the problem: With the 1"+ lift, I now get a very noticeable buffeting (wind) noise when I reach speeds of about 55mph (80 km/h) or more. The noise is similar to the buffeting noise you get when driving fast with open windows and/or open moonroof. According to Wikipedia, the formal name for this buffeting noise phenomenon is Helmholz resonance.

Have others experienced this buffeting noise following a lift? Is there anything we can do to reduce the noise? I'm happy with the clearance and improved handling. However, a majority of my driving is on-road. So, if possible, I'd love to get rid of this buffeting noise!

Interesting question! Mine's been lifted for so long I guess I don't notice it but any noise is certainly not as loud as having the moonroof or windows open at speed.

Thanks, Kevin. I was hoping you'd chime in!

To be honest, the buffeting noise was most noticeable and jarring at first, when I left my mechanic's shop after the lift and immediately went on an 800km highway roundtrip. The tall and stiff ride, plus the new noise, was quite a shocker. But over a year in now, the noise is not quite as jarring as it was at first. Kind of like the wind noise from the boxy shape and the frameless windows of the Forester. ;)

I don't want to imagine the noises that Jeep and Land Cruiser drivers with 4"+ lifts and giant mud terrain tires have to put up with. But I do hope I don't have to "rough it" in Subaru quite like they do in their "real" 4x4 off-roaders. :p

Interesting. There is no noise on mine that I have noticed with a 2" lift, 1" oversize tires, and skid plates. My daily setup is with mild AT tires and no basket so I would have surely noticed.

I don't know what tyres you have but it could also come from the bigger space in the wheel arches.

Did you get a wheel alignment on all four corners?
I have the 1 inch HDPE, raised King springs and KYBs love set up but can't say I have noticed increased wind noise.

Interesting. There is no noise on mine that I have noticed with a 2" lift, 1" oversize tires, and skid plates. My daily setup is with mild AT tires and no basket so I would have surely noticed.

That is indeed interesting! I've done a number of searches for info about "buffeting noise." But I've come up completely empty. This has me wondering whether my experience is isolated, presumably due to an odd combination of factors.

I don't know what tyres you have but it could also come from the bigger space in the wheel arches.

The tires I got are Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S in stock 16" size. I had a set on my previous Forester (without lift), and the rolling noise was perfectly acceptable. So I'm quite sure the tires are not the problem.

I suspect that the bigger space in the wheel arches is a major factor for the buffeting noise. At higher speeds, air gets "stuck" up in the wheel arches, the same way it gets stuck when you drive with open windows or moonroof. The buffeting, i.e. compression and (noisy) decompression of air, is unmistakable.

I wonder whether the combination of a smallish 1" lift (as opposed to 2"+) with my RallyArmor mud flaps has anything to do with the noise?

Did you get a wheel alignment on all four corners?
I have the 1 inch HDPE, raised King springs and KYBs love set up but can't say I have noticed increased wind noise.

So we have a very similar setup. Only difference is that my King springs are standard height, not raised. What's weird is that it's not really wind noise per se, but a very distinct buffeting (compression-decompression) sound. I absolutely love the setup, so don't want to change it just because of the buffeting noise. But maybe I can play around with the mud flaps, e.g. try the rigid plastic guards that Subaru offers OEM, to see whether they will improve airflow around the enlarged wheel well space.

Serious mysterious... :poke:

I would put my money on the large mud flaps interfering with the air flow around the wheel wells/tyres.

I would put my money on the large mud flaps interfering with the air flow around the wheel wells/tyres.

I guess it's possible, and worth a try to remove them. I do love my big mud flaps! But if they're the cause of the buffeting, then I'd have to ditch them. Strangely enough, the flaps didn't cause any issues on my previous Forester (no lift) or this one (pre-lift). Will take them off next time I have to do some highway driving.

To be honest, I hadn't given the issue any serious thought until I started this thread. Removing the mud flaps is an easy place to start troubleshooting.

I have a 4" lift on my SF Foz with no wind noise. When I run my muddies they add a fair bit of road noise, & my basket adds a lot of wind noise but there was none before that went on

The buffeting is definitely odd! I did a lot of Googling. And not even the hardcore Jeep guys report any buffeting with their lifts. Sounds like I'm the only one with this problem. :neutral:

Will report back once I have a chance to remove the mud flaps and do some highway testing.

It's probably because you drive on the wrong side of the road! :lol:

I have an SJ with 2 inch lift and stock tyres. I have not noticed any difference in wind noise.

There's not a wheel liner or under engine tray/guard come loose.
Greensuby

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check that out as well. Gotta find the ramps in my garage, so I can have a better look. ;)

Was it the mud-flaps? Looking for a reason not to buy the rally armour mud flaps, I do like mudflapless looks more

Never figured out the buffeting noise. Of course, I never took the time to try removing the RA mud flaps either. :confused:

And now I just bought a new (to me) 2012 Outback. Ordered a set of Rally Armor UR mud flaps before I even picked it up. Going to stick with the stock ride height for now though.

Back