Sports car driver gone wagon! MY97 Outback Wagon

What's up everyone?

Since getting this car in April 2010, I have gone through a bunch of problems that are documented on sl-i.net. Between the timing belt and tensioner being FUBAR'd and a few other annoying issues, I have realised that this is still a great car. I traded my S13 240SX Hatchback for it, straight trade. The 240 had 140k miles, with rotted frame rails and a slipping clutch. The OBW didn't run right, due to the timing being off, has cancer on the passenger side rear quarter, and looks like it was in a slight front end smack up. Other than that, the car was straight and relatively rust free. Oh yeah, and it only had 85k miles on it when I got it. :)

MOD LIST:

02-03 WRX Seats
JDM Resin STi Shift knob
03 WRX Momo Wheel
"Custom" (read: jerry riggied) consisting of eBay UELs, HFC, 03 WRX Cat-back, and custom mid-pipe: Just needs header wrap.
07 Forester XT Suspension (Not Installed yet)
Snorkus Delete
99 2-piece headlights
eBay UEL Header
True Flow Intake Systems CAI
GoFastBits Underdrive Pulley
Custom grounding kit
16" 2000 Forester Wheels w/ 215/60R16 Continental Touring Contacts
FUTURE MODS:

Custom coyote tan or olive drab flat paint, unless I can find a body shop who can do MultiCam correctly.
Roof rack of some sort
02 WRX rotors and brackets
STi lateral links

Here are some pics the day I picked it up.

8a9c23fe.jpg

91de4c38.jpg

fa88bdbf.jpg

0885cd55.jpg

96fd70aa.jpg

I took these a few days ago, after repairing the headlights, driver's side mirror, and installing the WRX seats.

2010-06-23154737.jpg

2010-06-23154753.jpg

2010-06-23154816.jpg

2010-06-23154852.jpg

2010-06-23154839.jpg

2010-08-15170103.jpg

2011-02-01145012.jpg

2011-04-15_10-51-25_712.jpg

2011-04-16_14-38-49_145.jpg

The lift from the SG Fozzy will be happening in another week or so, then it is time for body work and paint!

There is a lot of work that I still need to do to get it "mod" ready. First and foremost will be replacing the fuel filler pipe. After that will be the suspension. I am still trying to decide if I am going to do a swap. Being that my girlfriend got herself a GF Impreza, I may just swap a WRX motor into mine, rebuild the EJ25D with some extra ponies, and put that into her car. Only time and money will tell.

The outback is lookin good. I don't mean to offend, but i noticed the mileage on the odometer & the way the #'s are crooked like that is a sign of someone adjusting them.I ran across this on a truck i purchased back in highschool. I always thought it just had low miles, but when i took it to the dealership to trade it in, they threw up all ssorts of red flags abbout it & gave me an education! Slight differences are no big deaal, but that is pretty significant.

What model WRX are those seats out of- Doesn't look like any seats I've seen in a WRX- maybe the really early ones circa 1994/95?

What model WRX are those seats out of- Doesn't look like any seats I've seen in a WRX- maybe the really early ones circa 1994/95?
No way, they must be USDM because the really early WRX seats are hideous compared to these. I did buy a set out of a Gen 2 Legacy GT or GTB for my ex's gen 2 that were almost identical except the cloth in the center was a pinkish shade so they may have shared seats with the JDM Leggy, they seemed to get some weird combination's in the US like bonnet scoops on na's and no turbo's until about 01 then of course the Baja ute's.

These are from the USDM GD "bugeye" WRX. Comfortable, but they are higher than the stock Legacy seats.

dirtyRU said:
The outback is lookin good. I don't mean to offend, but i noticed the mileage on the odometer & the way the #'s are crooked like that is a sign of someone adjusting them.I ran across this on a truck i purchased back in highschool. I always thought it just had low miles, but when i took it to the dealership to trade it in, they threw up all ssorts of red flags abbout it & gave me an education! Slight differences are no big deaal, but that is pretty significant.

No offense taken at all. I picked up on the fact that the odo was adjusted when it flipped from 89999 to 80000. I am getting another working gauge set sometime next week. I didn't pay much for the car, and by the time I am done with it there won't be any parts that originally came with the car.

Indeed it would.

I posted this photo because these are the seats in my MY99 WRX- and the later seats are similar. My model was not the first to use them- they'd been around for a couple of years already I think

028.jpg

As you can see- a totally different design and why I did not recognise your seats.

Indeed it would.

I posted this photo because these are the seats in my MY99 WRX- and the later seats are similar. My model was not the first to use them- they'd been around for a couple of years already I think

028.jpg

As you can see- a totally different design and why I did not recognise your seats.

I think that style seat was in the MY05 USDM WRXs here. The Bugeyes had a movable head restraint. The seats in my Outback were flat and uncomfortable. I picked these up for $100 USD.

All Australian and Japanese seats have been like the seats above since 97, they just had different patterns each year and were mostly black with a red flash the earlier seats were quite a wooly fabric which was grey/gray with a touch of blue but the same colour all over.

These are the Japanese 97 STI seats in my offroader, we first got STI's here in 99 and all 400 were 2 doors, my son recently sold his because he is in Canada & US for the next 2 yrs with his g/f and it wasn't worth storing.

CIMG2165.jpg

Yeah 2-door STis are like the Subaru Holy Grail here in the US. Canadians will be able to start importing the 99s over in about 3 more years. Lucky bastiches!

My friends tell me that the seats changed in the ADM cars in 2003 and became wider- they must have thought all those fat Aussies could not squeeze into the earlier ones!

My friends tell me that the seats changed in the ADM cars in 2003 and became wider- they must have thought all those fat Aussies could not squeeze into the earlier ones!

That is what they did here for the USDM seats, thanks to our healthy diet of McDonalds and Burger King. Obesity FTL!

They must be enormous because there are 3 guys I know with classic WRX's, and they start at 160kg and probably hit 200 or more. None have mentioned it being an issue, but I suspect they have bent the metal supports over time

Yeah they bend pretty easy, I bought the ones above for $300 instead of $600 about 5yrs ago because one had a bent wing & they were filthy, I put it on it's side on the floor, stood on the wing, gave it a push & it came out perfect, then I hit them with the high pressure cleaner & some soap, good as new.

They must be enormous because there are 3 guys I know with classic WRX's, and they start at 160kg and probably hit 200 or more. None have mentioned it being an issue, but I suspect they have bent the metal supports over time

Geez!!! Those are some big blokes!!! I think I am heavy and I weigh in at about 115 kg. I am at 192cm tall so it's spread out nicely.

There was a forth bloke in the club who weighed in at 160kg's, but he went on a diet, shedding 80kgs and was almost unrecognisable. But then most people I know who if they were to lose 80kgs would have other issues on top of being unrecognisable. One of the three has shed about 30-35kg's but is still pretty big.

Back