Better CV Boots?

ssideup

Forum Member
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows of a stronger CV boot, given the OE boots on my forester have found it hard going off road.

Simon.

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows of a stronger CV boot, given the OE boots on my forester have found it hard going off road.

Simon.

G'day Mate,

Strange how you mention CV boots, every subie that I have a chance to look inside the engine bay has got torn boots, interesting... Maybe a design weakness?

Having worked with CV Joints and Driveshafts for a good number of years, I can say that thermoplastic boots should perform better than rubber boots in the tear resistant field... But unfortunately I'm not that familiar with Subie driveshafts to to know any options available - Always supplied by the competition...:catfight:

Not knowing which Forester is yours, I would be really surprised if there isn't a newer boot that fits, so keep looking.

Cheers,
pezimm

G'day Mate,

Strange how you mention CV boots, every subie that I have a chance to look inside the engine bay has got torn boots, interesting... Maybe a design weakness?

Having worked with CV Joints and Driveshafts for a good number of years, I can say that thermoplastic boots should perform better than rubber boots in the tear resistant field... But unfortunately I'm not that familiar with Subie driveshafts to to know any options available - Always supplied by the competition...:catfight:

Not knowing which Forester is yours, I would be really surprised if there isn't a newer boot that fits, so keep looking.

Cheers,
pezimm

The CV boots on most Subarus have a design flaw, they are too close to high heat sources which weaken the rubber exponentially faster. I kind of wish they would heat shield the boots or make the boots heat resistant. Sadly I am running a split replacement boot (from a quick fix of a torn one in the fall) that will need replacing this summer with a new half shaft. What I was thinking was if there was maybe a conditioner that you could put on the rubber maybe to make heat resistant?

Yes, I had the CV boots replaced on my 99 Outback late last year- at about 116,000km at the time. I suppose. Didn't know that anything other than rubber boots existed though.

I recall on on one of the other forums that someone had mounted some hard conveyor belt rubber on the suspension in front of the boots on the wheel end to protect them from stone and rock damage.

Didn't know that anything other than rubber boots existed though.

Yes, they do exist... I was just having a look at the service manuals for the Foresters 99-02 and 03-04 and was able to identify that the front driveshafts have rubber boots on the inboard joint side (closer to the engine so need rubber to survive the heat) and thermoplastic boots on the outboard joint side - the wheel hub side.

The rear driveshafts though, are fitted with rubber boots all-around. My guess is that this is because of the joint type selection.

In case one wants to add a bit of protection to one's CV joint boots, I would suggest looking into making/installing a dustshield or guard to protect it from incoming branches and rocks. A larger sump guard covering more than just the sump should do the job.

Cheers,
Pedro.

I must be lucky- neither of my Subarus have had the problem- although I do know of one 300kw ATW STI that does, and that is due to heat. There is an exhaust and even a turbo wrap that you can wrap around either to reduce radiant heat. It is even said to improve performance but it has its drawbacks as well. It is like a bandage appllied to a limb, and comes with clamps to secure it and even paint, although I do not know anyone who uses the paint. You might find a sump guard will reduce the chance of sticks and stones from hitting at least the inner ones.

Back