DIY Rear Diff Servicing for Forester.....???

SKT

Anyone done any DIY rear diff servicing on a Forester or their Suby in general???
After my little swim a month back and a today a 100km of tar and a few hours of techy driving I've developed a bit of a rear diff whine.... well a whine from that end and I'm gonna stay optimiscit and follow that up first...

I'm hoping it just got a gut full of water and any lube has been broke down I I can top it up or pack it full of grease or whatever...

Any tips...???

Drain it and see if its milky. If so, maybe put a flushing oil through it then re fill with diff oil

Yeah.... it was milky... I topped up and its in for a check up of the wheel bearings and anything else that is around there. I even rotated my wheels to see if it was a buckled rim or something...

G'day SKT,
It wouldn't be hard at all to drop the diff out, remove the back plate and give it a good flush out with some sort of de-greaser. Yes this will remove all grease from the cage bearing etc. Just make sure you put a good quality gear oil back in at the appropriate level.

While you've got the diff out it would a the perfect time to add a breather line to avoid this situation again :iconwink:

Cheers

Bennie

Back