Nachaluva's Foz

Two years ago I got a heartbreaking call my brother in law had suddenly died from Sudden Arrhythmic Death Syndrome (SADS). He was a strong, healthy, fit man. They found him slumped over the table at work...apparently he was dead before he even hit the table, so at least he didn’t suffer at all.

My sister offered me his car, so I bought it. It was their 3rd Subie but my 1st.

I soon got tired of the poor lights so set out on my 1st mod...a headlight wiring upgrade & upgraded H4 bulbs. I soon ran into problems which is how I came upon AuSubaru while researching the wiring.

After much work & lots of help, esp from Gannon, my 1st mod was finished:
Headlights Wiring Upgrade - ORS

My 1st trip offroad was soon after to picturesque & historic Walhalla:
thompsonrcrossing01.jpg

I discovered my suspension was completely shot, springs sagging & strut bouncing. With help from the forum I decided on raised King springs & new KYB struts. Very happy with the much improved handling & increased clearance, but I wish so much I had got the gen2 rear struts (SG)

I added Whiteline KCA414 Camber bolts which gave me neg camber on the rear but the best I could get the front was neutral.

A SubaXtreme sumpguard was next. I guess it did its job of protecting the sump but I found it very brittle & was soon falling apart
20120115.jpg

A Crossbred guard soon replaced it!

Last edited:
Haha, I think a little hook with the keys hanging down, this would not be able to be closed. But I get you're point, I'm a bit absent minded too lol :rotfl:

Too much torque? Sorry to laugh, but from an EJ-20?
I know someone who bought the first series Impreza with the 66kW 1600cc engine which was available as a front wheel drive only towards the later part of the model cycle. You've got to feel for them. It wasn't a light car either although no AWD helped. Not many were sold and you can understand why when a Corolla 1600 of the same time had 76kW and the Pulsar 86kW.

Marvin the Foz turned 200,000kms old:

So I gave him a present & replaced his rack ends & boots, tie rod ends & ball joints

The old rack ends were horribly worn & clunking on bumps. It also made the car wander everywhere...horrible! He now steers nicely :biggrin:

Beautiful pics NachaLuva ! I see you did your trip with Venom and Bennie, cool !

Yeah second that. Awesome photo's. Ill show the boy the picky of the blue tongue. He has one as a pet!!

Yeah second that. Awesome photo's. Ill show the boy the picky of the blue tongue. He has one as a pet!!

I didn't have time to label the pics but that one is a stumpy, more pics to come incl a western blue tongue. Also some cool vids :biggrin:

PS: I need to get your address to send you your lift kit :monkeydance:

On the way back in Quorn, while doing a vehicle check, I noticed a badly split left inner CV boot, replaced only 8 months ago with an aftermarket boot. I cleaned it up & taped it up:

Some wear in the cup but not bad I think:

Bearings thoroughly cleaned:

"Grease me up laddy!"

Finished, this time with a GENUINE boot!:

Last edited:
New front brake pads, the old original ones were very low on material & one had just started to grind. Fortunately the disc is still good, minimal groove and almost no lip on either.

Old V new:

Big difference lol

Also, after the swim Marvin had at Wombat, the carpets were hosed out & are now cleaner than they have ever been. Everything is now dry & no wet dog smell haha.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0g2oiYjXuJI"]Forester Swims In Wombat SF - YouTube[/ame]

The heater fan had shorted out & was blowing fuses, replaced with one from a wrecker, all good now.

There was unfortunately some panel damage :( but at least now I can open the passenger door lol

On the plus side, I had been getting bad clutch shudder which was getting worse. Its now completely gone! :monkeydance:

Last edited:
Nacha, you have modified you're trailing arms, is there a how-to? Any thoughts about it?
Or better do I use spacers for a max 2" lift?

Nacha, you have modified you're trailing arms, is there a how-to? Any thoughts about it?
Or better do I use spacers for a max 2" lift?

Trailing Arm Spacers are a much better way of doing it. I'm going to remove my longer TAs as they push the wheel too far back under full compression. TA spacers are much better at keeping the correct angles as the wheel swings through it arc as it compresses.

Have a look at Trailing Arm Blocks

Started going through the GoPro vids from Echo Camp Backtrack, Arkaroola. Found a good example of the Subaru AWD system with rear plated LSD at work:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odDwsvCsqRI"]'97 Subaru Forester AWD System - YouTube[/ame]

Nice, your plated LSD seems to work well.

And the location of the GoPro is perfect to see it work !

Suffered a little damage (bent strut) doing a black diamond run & a double black diamond:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stXvKlneCnA&x-yt-cl=84503534&x-yt-ts=1421914688"]Robertsons Creek Tr & Bullock Link Tr, Bunyip - YouTube[/ame]

So...time for some SG rear struts for better tyre clearance plus upgrade the strut tops for more caster?camber.

Front:

Rear:

I also put in a new rear wheel bearing in a new (old) hub. I also found the axle outer cup was worn so chased down a new axle.

Then I finally fitted my HID driving lights. The wiring & relay had been done ages ago when I upgraded my headlights, so it was just a matter of making a mount for it & adding the wiring from the lights to the relay

All looks terrific, NL :biggrin:.

Bugger about the busted strut and wheel bearing/axle.

hey mate would love to see how your rides going now
update bump ??

:ebiggrin:

Back