jf1sf5's forester

I bought my '97 Foz in 2002, second hand with 90'000 km.

The first year, I changed the OEM springs for Dobinsons, the wheels and tires, 1 inch lift blocks and a 8 mm thick aluminum sump guard after a big dent in the sump but no hole !

The rear Dobinsons were too hard, changed them for SF springs on SG self leveling struts.

In 2006, I wanted to go further with the mods and prepared the Foz for a saharian trip to Morocco, fitted some BFG AT's, Quaife front diff, rear SG LSD diff, SG disc brakes and larger SG rear track.

In october 2007, ready for the trip, drove about 1'500 km on very sandy/rocky trails and corrugations that blew the rubber of the rear top hats but drove back home with pieces of truck tires (no Subarus in Morocco !)

https://www.forum4x4.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55663&d=1364158577
https://www.forum4x4.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=55664&d=1364158647

2010, bought some second hand Proflex evo2 coil overs that were made for the Forester engaged by Bruno Picard for the 2008 Dakar rally...cancelled.

2012, changed the BFG AT for General Grabber AT, as good or better off road with less noise on road, with Compomotive 16x7 ET30 wheels.

And discovered "www.offroadsubarus.com" that helps me modify my Foz !

2013, 1,59:1 low range, DCCD and rear Quaife diff because after some readings, I think the helical diffs suit my needs better (rain, snow)

Pics to come but I'm no good with computers !

Last edited:
i just checked this thing out.

nice ride.

if you can help me get some fender flares/guards to the us i would appreciate it.

i could ship some rare usdm parts too

European fender flares/guards…???

Aren't they the same in the US ? I can have a look and see how much it would cost to send them but it shouldn't be cheap.

Just right click on the vid as its running, copy & paste to your post. Type [*url][*/url] around it (without the *) & remove "feature=player_detailpage&"

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kri_JBfnkTs&feature=player_detailpage"]Subaru Forester - YouTube[/ame]

Whats that white stuff...it looks like sand but its all over the trees! Funny spot for a beach :raspberry::rotfl:

EDIT: hmmm, that normally works, cant seem to do it either :confused:

Edit2: added the url tags & removed the "s" from the "https"

Last edited:
Speaking chinese and talking about computers is about the same for me !

1,59:1….it was very slippery, I had to take off very smoothly and as always, videos don't show how steep it is :iconwink:

Bought a '96 Legacy 2.2 limited sedan…just for the engine and spare parts. Swap will be made soon !

Wait, wait, how did you get DCCD on your car?

Awesome. I did not know about your Morocco trip, that must have been a tremendous experience!

By the way, I am seeing Germans here in the Southwest. I saw recently an elderly couple in a really, really old Land Cruiser built for remote camping. That was near Grand Canyon. Then I saw a super-modern MB truck built for the off-road near Monument Valley. I think its owners were probably doing a round-the-world. It looked like a very expensive piece of equipment!

Maybe, you can imitate your northern neighbors and cross the Atlantic next time. I am not sure about the length of the snorkel you might need though:lol:

I do not want to imagine what transporting one's car here and back might cost!

The DCCD comes from a JDM V4 Impreza STI and is just a bolt on thing with the housing and a DCCDpro controller.

I have visited SW USA in '99…but it was in a rented Jeep Grand Cherokee, not that bad though !

Next mod on the foz…rocket engines !

The DCCD comes from a JDM V4 Impreza STI and is just a bolt on thing with the housing and a DCCDpro controller.

I have visited SW USA in '99…but it was in a rented Jeep Grand Cherokee, not that bad though !

Next mod on the foz…rocket engines !

:lol:I guess the Russians might have some leftovers from Soviet times:biggrin:

Pardon my ignorance, but, in the absence of a VTD, what does the DCCD do? I am really clueless when it comes to STi.

Pardon my ignorance, but, in the absence of a VTD, what does the DCCD do? I am really clueless when it comes to STi.

It gives you the ability to drive the car with 35/65 torque split that gives you an oversteering Foz and you can also lock 50/50 when off road.

Do you run the controller which gives manual or auto control, or do you just run the diff manually?

It gives you the ability to drive the car with 35/65 torque split that gives you an oversteering Foz and you can also lock 50/50 when off road.

Bought a '96 Legacy 2.2 limited sedan…just for the engine and spare parts. Swap will be made soon !

Awesome! They have a great reputation for reliability & good low down torque :monkeydance:

Wait, wait, how did you get DCCD on your car?

And Quaife diffs front & rear & ProFlex coilovers :lildevil:

Doesn't it also lock any time in manual mode, so you can lock it at 35/65 f/r for really steep climbs?

Where did you get your controller from?

With DCCD, you have a thumbwheel which allows you an infinite split from 50/50 through to what is essentially RWD. Of all the centre diff types, DCCD is probably the best. Having said that, of the 3 diffs the centre diff is probably the last one needing to be upgraded. Which is ironic as it is probably the easiest one to change.

Having said that, of the 3 diffs the centre diff is probably the last one needing to be upgraded. Which is ironic as it is probably the easiest one to change.

And the one that most needs to be upgraded is the front diff which is the hardest! :(

I reckon the rear diff is the most important, but if you rate it in reference to the front one being the only open diff then that is understandable.

I meant as the one most important to make it up steep climbs. With the open front, as soon as a front wheel is lifted, the car stops. The 4kg centre isnt strong enough to send enough power to the rear to keep momentum. I noticed this very markedly since I fitted my plated rear diff. I also noticed how effective it is reversing up a steep hill (2 way diff), essentially the same as above but opposite. Whereas Bennie has a LSD front & open rear & had no issues on the same climbs that stopped me

Back