SH Suspension - Split thread

scalman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
2006 3.0R 5EAT Sportshift VDC/VTD LPG
Transmission
5eat Sportshift
if your shocks are shot you should change them first . dont do lift kit on bad tired shocks ad they will get worse.

It’s an SH. Even brand new shocks feel like they’ve done a million kilometres.

ohhh , why so ? :)

For more comfort, the SH Forester has a double wishbone design at the rear, just like your BH Outback while the SF and SG Foresters have a McPherson type with multiple arms/links.

ohhh , why so ? :)
Because the SH is from the factory a sloppy bowl of jelly with poor body control. Both the shock rates and bushes are far too soft. For me, it was so stark when I hopped from my daily driver SH into my SG. The SG was just so much better to drive, it didn’t lurch and rock on it’s suspension. Putting new KYB struts into the SH made it marginally better, but a long way from the SG even with struts that had 140,000kms on them.

For more comfort, the SH Forester has a double wishbone design at the rear, just like your BH Outback while the SF and SG Foresters have a McPherson type with multiple arms/links.
I found the SH to be softer, yes. But not more comfortable. It wallowed like a cork in the sea during a storm. The Gen 4 Liberty had a similar suspension to the SH, and was in a different league altogether for ride and handling. It was a beautifully balanced car that was enjoyable to drive and more comfortable at the same time.

thats some interesting info. so they made newer car worse to drive and worse handle. how can that be. or its just who used to sg for him other handling just seems off .

How can it be? Because they had a change in philosophy, a change in the market they were chasing. They did the same thing with the Gen 5 Liberty and Outback, and the 08 wrx and sti. Cars that looked crook inside and out and handled poorly and rode poorly.

Our SH is a far better family car than our SG.

My wife likes her SH very much, whereas I far prefer driving my series II SG ... except in heavy traffic, where the auto rules!

I never had more than 2 in either car. The SH was an XS luxury, the SG a poverty pack X. I think Ratbag’s comment shine the spotlight on the market Subaru was chasing with the SH.

must be different things you want car for max 2 people and lifts and tires to go offroad or you want semi family car with some offroad capabilitys. or its like offroad car or overlanding car. not same purpose.

Back