• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Will aftermarket suspensions affect ABS?

PauSum

Forum Member
Car Year
2005 and 2014
Car Model
Forester and Outback
Transmission
5 speed manual and 7 speed CVT
Hi all,

I was talking with my mate about replacing the rear suspension of my Forester and he swears that the ABS of his Forester was negatively affected by replacing with an aftermarket one of harder spring - ABS not working as expected?

Has anyone of you having similar experience?

I've never experienced any issues with ABS.

What model is your mate's Foz? I believe the newer models have a rear suspension height sensor of some sort but I don't know if it's for the self-leveling headlights or affects the brake distribution system i.e. more pressure to the rear if loaded (like my Triton when loaded) or both?

Not sure of the year but his has the same shape as mine but model X not XS or XT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely no problems with Roo2 after replacing the OEM SLS with Pedders progressive heavier duty complete rear strut units.

That said, I drive on my gearbox, not my brakes. Only time my ABS has ever activated was going down an exceptionally steep, exceptionally muddy slope. It tried to kill me ... :(.

i doubt 06 forester will have something there for height sensing. it doesnt even have any traction control sensors.

^ Correct, would be SH and SJ with sensors located on the rear lateral arms. Seems it's used just for the headlights.

Thanks all.

Would the spring hardness have any issue to the Subaru ABS? Subaru ABS sensors detect speed of wheel spin only isn't it?

Absolutely no problems with Roo2 after replacing the OEM SLS with Pedders progressive heavier duty complete rear strut units.

That said, I drive on my gearbox, not my brakes.... :(.

That's what I'm planning to install onto the Forester which my wife drives. I might consider me driving it instead after the replacement :exclaim:

She always drives at lower gears (than me) though

Would the spring hardness have any issue to the Subaru ABS? Subaru ABS sensors detect speed of wheel spin only isn't it?

No and Yes. The wheel speed is detected via the tone ring.

It won't have any effect, ABS doesn't work that way. There's no connection between ABS & the suspension.

Lifting or lowering a car doesn't affect the ABS either

I thought so too. It doesnt affect VDC in any way too. ABS should work on any size tires and no matter good tires or dead ones its still will try to stop as much as it can. With lift your wheel in same place they not moving anywhere .so you could put 35' tires or bigger it will still work .

Back