Dyson vaccuum cleaners.

silver

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
I know this could be a fair bit 'off topic' but I like a good bit of design and was really impressed by the Dysons. Seems like a good story and an interesting fellow.
He has done quite a few things and his machines are in various museums.
It came about because my sister wanted a new vacuum cleaner and was sold on the Dysons because of word of mouth.
Great looking things once you get over the shock of the price but I reckon they are fantastic looking bits of gear.
We settled on the DC54 'animal'. RRP $999..paid $780 from Myer.
Does anyone use a Dyson...if so...for how long and what do you think??:)

On my second Dyson... not by choice.... apparently the first is still going strong and would be 13 or 14 now. Prior to that was kept in second hand electroluxes for many years by my Dad who is fairly handy at fixing things.

To date, I haven't ever needed a Dyson fix. Pretty happy... gotta say. Even my Dad lashed out on a Dyson a year or two ago...... be warned..... We still blame the Dyson for the final death throws of 47 year old carpet when the new vacuum determined that the old carpet was truly in need of replacement....! And... when Mum complained about the vacuum "bogging" and being too hard to push on the new carpet... replaced as a result of super suction, they admitted to a faulty batch of heads and sent a new one at no cost. Not bad for something out of warranty.

Best regards,

Years ago we bought a discounted one that had been returned. It has been fantastic, no problems and it really sucks. I'd love the hand held cordless DC34. Maybe someday when our ship comes in.

We have a Dyson DC08 and we like it very much, easy to clean and maintain and does a very good job, it's about 7yrs old from memory.

Might be costly but well worth the money and backup from Dyson is brilliant from what I have read.

We have a Dyson DC19 and its great.

I used to clean display homes for a living and bought this instead of using the commercial unit, it is better than the commercial VAC i replaced with it.

I'm happy with my Dyson, even though I don't think it is quite as good at cleaning as when it was new 4 years ago.

Have you blown out the yellow parts of the collection bowl with a compressor?

dyson-dc08-collection-chamber-www.knolhub.com_.jpeg

and washed these 2 x filters?

tn_dc05_r_postfil_arc.jpg

I wash my filters 1 x month and blow out the yellow part at the same time.

Mine is the upright model. There is a filter in the head unit, and another above the collection area- and both have been cleaned.

I made a dust extractor / shop vac out of one i found in hard rubbish . sucks metal dust and wood dust all day long, hasn't broken yet pretty well made

For outright cleaning ability you cant beat a Kirby. I should know, I used to sell the & have tested them against evrything available, even commercial units. However, they are heavy & clumsy.

For user-friendly vacuums, Dysons are great but be sure to get a model with a rotating, vibrating head. Straight suction only cleans the carpet surface :iconwink:

Over the past few years, I went through 3 Dyson Animals. First one just stopped sucking and had to be sent in for repairs. Got it back, and it worked for a while, then stopped again. I tried everything and all the tips, wouldn't work. Bought a brand new one, and that one started to stop sucking after a while too. They exchanged it for another one, same issue, after a while it just stopped working right. Thought it was me, but on some forums, this tends to be an issue. They're great until they break (and usually it's a seal or a piece of plastic cracks).

Got sick of it, and got an old Kirby G5 off of Craigslist. It sucks harder and cleans so much better than that old Dyson. Yes, they're heavy and you need to switch it from Neutral to Drive to push it around (self propelled due to the weight), but it's such a better vacuum. Picked it up for $100 bucks. $300 cheaper than any Dyson, and will last me decades longer.

got an old Kirby G5 off of Craigslist. It sucks harder and cleans so much better than that old Dyson. Yes, they're heavy and you need to switch it from Neutral to Drive to push it around (self propelled due to the weight), but it's such a better vacuum. Picked it up for $100 bucks. $300 cheaper than any Dyson, and will last me decades longer.

I got a trade in for Mum & its even older than that...pre self-propelled. They're bullet-proof, have exceptional deep cleaning & versatility (great to use on the mattress to suck out dead skin cells & both dead & alive dust mites!). They can even shampoo the carpet :biggrin: The only downsides are they're heavy, its hard to change the head on it & they use a bag not barrel

Self propelled vacuum cleaners? If it's that heavy how do you get it up the stairs??? Must suck the fibres out of the matting.

Don't know about the other ones.
My sister unleashed the 'animal' today for the first time and it was pretty impressive. Fairly quiet, easy to use and removed heaps of dust from a room that is hardly used and was done only 2 weeks ago.
Long term??? Who knows, but first impressions are really good. We have family members who have had them for years and have had no problems at all. She is happy.:ebiggrin:

Back