• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

The Zook

Yes, I know it's not a Subaru but I have seen a couple of other non-Subie builds on this page before... At any rate it's not a 'cruiser!
This thread shall document the mods and adventures of my 2008 AUDM (yes it's a 2nd hand import) Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 JLX.
5-speed manual, 124 kW VVT DOHC IL4, ~1600 kg, 2:1 transfer case.
Crap ground clearance.
Now with snorkel.

Acquired this at the start of June to replace my smashed Forry. The Foz was a good car and I looked for an SH to replace it with, but I couldn't find one in my price range. This GV was brought over cheap by a mate of my father's and he offered it to me for a price I couldn't refuse (almost half what a manual SH with an EJ25 and similar kms would have cost - Suzuki's depreciate a lot faster than Subarus here!).
I jumped on this one because it was an AUDM model. This means it is identical to the NZ model - it has traction & stability control, the 4-mode 4wd system, cruise control and 6 airbags. The JDM 'Escudo' imports have two airbags, ABS only and no cruise control. As such they're crap offroad (no TC to limit diagonal wheelspin).

I suspect this vehicle was written off in a hailstorm in Aus, fixed and imported. It looks perfect until you see the sizeable dents in the roof... Doesn't bother me because I can't see the roof usually.

Eventual plans are to get the towbar tucked up, and fit a 45mm Ironman lift and skid plates. This probably won't happen for quite some time (finances).

The snorkel was the mod I made first (apart from 225/70r17 Dueler 697 AT tyres, slightly larger than the 225/65r17 OEM) as I plan to drive this thing around the easier 4wd tracks in Otago over the summer, including to Macetown.

Some pics below.

taigzt.jpg

14w7gw3.jpg

e63zb8.jpg

9kb8li.jpg

eu1o5c.jpg

20as9eh.jpg

igkm6f.jpg

This afternoon up the peninsula, beautiful 25 degree day here (usual temp would be 15 degrees in Dunedin).

Overall I'm pretty happy with the snorkel, looks good and (hopefully) works well. Certainly sounds the business with the windows down and right foot planted! I have a vacuum leak somewhere though, rpm decreased but it didn't stall when I put my hand over the top. That's for a fortnight's time anyway, off hunting this weekend (= offroad video?).

I look forward to the progress. The snorkel does look good!

Go the zook!
You'll notice how good the traction control is when you start lifting wheels.
The only advise I have is to not lift it to high as the front arm bushes rip apart.

I prefer the older ones

jZGdmp2d6fThFCReXlB3erhUjwyU8uSZ13eeL0K0Rfw=w480-h479-no

Long time no posts! Just in case anyone's interested, thought I might update the build thread a bit.

Since adding the snorkel in early November I took it 4wding properly, and quickly realised it needed a lift (sigh). After much deliberation I decided to fit the Ironman 45 mm suspension lift, done just prior to Christmas and my summer 4wding on the 16th December. In reality I actually got a bit more than 45 mm out of it as my standard suspension had sagged so much the outer CV joints were higher than the inners front and rear!

Since having the lift I took it back to the same place I first took it 4wding and didn't touch down in any of the same places it did originally. Win. The other good thing about the Ironman struts and shocks is the extra travel, so much more flex than my Foz had! Especially as there's no rear sway bar, from the factory :D

317cz2u.jpg

9l8h6x.jpg

The latest mod was a set of skid plates from FTS in Taiwan, ordered through my cousin who works for a 4wd company at the other end of the country that distribute FTS products locally! Gotta love how small NZ is sometimes haha.

fmnkfp.jpg

9jeu4l.jpg

All it needs now is a CB radio and the towbar lifted to look like this, which should be happening within the next couple of weeks:

1z5qglw.jpg

Cheers for putting up with my non-Subie build haha, but the Suzi forums are pretty tame in comparison (at least with regards to this model).

One day I'll be back in a Subie - an EA82 touring wagon with an EE20 and 6-speed is where I'm aiming at the moment, for a spacious, fuel-efficient and cool daily. For highway travel though, I prefer something a little safer considering the number of kms I do, and the number of idiot tourists causing crashes here (14,000 km in the Zook alone since I bought it last June, and more in other cars).

I leave you with a couple of (probably pretty average) videos:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT4u4wrfNN0"]4wding Mt Kakanui, NZ, Suzuki Grand Vitara - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wzBqgazO-U"]4wding Mt Kakanui Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Many thanks for the update KF - always good to see members' builds regardless of vehicle ;-)

Got the towbar chopped last Thursday, and promptly went 4wding this weekend - video to come.
m7jms.jpg

2wfplec.jpg

33eslew.jpg

And the bike rack still fits ��

nps49i.jpg

One from Sunday morning.

I'm somewhat sad to say that the Zuk is no longer (somewhat, as I never really fell in love with this car). It was written off a couple of weeks ago.

I'm also sad to say that I simply couldn't justify purchasing another Subaru, much as I would have loved to. I got a fantastic deal on a well-maintained 220,000 km young QD32ETI powered 1997 JDM Nissan Terrano G3M-R Ltd that I just couldn't turn down. The Terrano has always been on my "to own" list, as my father had the Regulus RS-R version for 10 years and sold it to his business partner. Still going strong with 330,000+ km on it and no major mechanical repairs at all! I'm loving the 110 kW & 330 Nm diesel with the 4-speed auto, great combo and really reminds me a lot of my old Leone in terms of driving feel (similar turbo auto combo, though the L was a bit faster, 0-100 in 10 sec not 14 sec).

qH6wtSO.jpg

However, I'm still watching Tony's thread with interest, and if and when a rear locker for a Forester becomes available/doable I may well switch the Terrano for a JDM S/tb SF auto, do the centre diff lock mod and fit a rear locker.

Last edited:
Thanks for the updates!

All uses are different. If you want a Subie, a truck won't do and vice-versa.

Last edited:
Back