KAAZ rear LSD review

Dedman

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
5MT
After having tested my KAAZ rear LSD on and off road for close to 20,000km I thought I would write a bit of a summary of my experiences with the diff for anyone thinking of buying them.

I will start by saying the below review is very harsh pointing out all of the issues/concerns I have with the diff. This is not because I believe it is a bad product, they are just issues that for the most part most reviews/discussing seem to not consider so I thought I would share my experience with others giving my opinion of the full picture. Despite the following issues this diff has significantly increased my vehicles off road ability with the right techniques and even knowing all off this I would still recommend it for off road Subarus and would buy it again.

My vehicle: Lifted 1999 SF, lift, custom winch bar, stock N/A EJ20, custom gearbox with front helical LSD, DCCD, 1.59:1 L-series low range, 4.44:1 diff ratio. I drive some of the harshest off road terrains achievable with a Subaru and often keep up with modified real 4wds (Lifted patrols on 35s). Have a look on my YouTube channel if you are interested in the terrain I drive, more recent videos are generally more extreme.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_uIq1hkQuQUavV1ovSLQhw

I will start this critical review by saying that my rear KAAZ is setup to 100% lock configuration. It is a common misconception that this means it is 100% locked, thus pretty much a locked diff. What it actually means is that it is set up so that it will bind the left and right axles together as best it possibly can). Off-road this is great or at least heaps better than pretty much any other form of LSD however it is nowhere near as good as real locked diff.

Many people will claim that even with a wheel in the air a KAAZ diff will move you forwards almost like a locked diff however I have not found this to be the case. These diff are load dependant meaning that the higher the load on them the better they bind the axles together. What this means is that if you are powering hard (meaning the diff is binding well) before a wheel leaves the ground the diff will provide traction to the wheel on the ground quite well (basically as a locked diff would). However if you are stopped with a wheel in the air or are crawling along with low throttle when a wheel lifts the diff will slip and act largely as an open diff. The way to overcome this is to apply the hand brake with a moderate amount of force so that there is always load on both wheels which works very well however it wears the hand brake and means you need to rev more to overcome the extra load being applied by the hand brake which is a noticeable amount if this method is actually going to work. When the diff was new the preload in the clutch plates was very good meaning that this was less of an issue (but still and issue) however after 15,000km I can jack up a rear wheel and turn it by hand, it requires more force than an open diff but still doable. As far as I am aware the only way to get the stock preload back is to buy new clutch plates (as there is no adjustment in the diff) which would be an expensive operation to do every 10-15,000km. The other maintenance issue is that the OEM recommends diff oil be change every 3,000km which in itself is a pain.

Now for on road down sides. I correctly followed the OEM bed in instructions to the letter for the diff when it was purchased using the oil supplied with the diff. Others have said that after the diff beds in a bit that on road they are not too bad. I found that there was a small improvement compared to new however the I have always found that you notice the diff binding and releasing when making tight turns in 1st gear (at intersections or in parking lots etc). Given that it is such an aggressive LSD you would expect this as these are higher load situations with large left right speed differences on high tractive surfaces. When the diff is hot after a long drive I have found this binding becomes far more noticeable with the diff banging and popping but can be reduced somewhat with different types of oil (The KAAZ supplied oil was one of the worst for this). I don’t really mind any of this and on all other types of on road circumstances it is not really noticeable, with the exception of the car being a bit more tail happy in almost all circumstance. What I don’t like though is how harsh this on road binding is on your rear axles which will cause them to fatigue over time and then they will fail under high load situations off road, typically in the most incontinent locations. As a result I now carry a spare rear axle at all times as well as tools to replace it.

The final aspect of these diffs that I did not fully understand before buying them is just how violent the transition from unlocked to locked can be under the wrong circumstances. The case of a lifted wheel spinning violently then coming down onto the ground can be far more harsh on the drive train than with an open diff. I have broken 4 rear axles this way, 3 of the failures were as a result of fatigued axles being placed in high than usual load and the other a complete overload failure which I did not think was possible from a gutless ej20 even with the extra gearing from my custom drive train. The risk of this happening is virtually zero if you use the hand brake trick listed above as the diff will always be binding however still likely to happen. The below link is a video of my testing the effectiveness of applying the brakes to start moving again when wheels are lifted. Car was not moving, 1st low and engine at 3000rpm, brakes gradually applied until car started moving forwards. Once the load on the rear diff reached a high enough threshold the diff went from pretty much fully unlocked to fully locked in an instant meaning all of the kinetic energy from the drive train and the spinning wheel was transferred to the wheel on the ground (which had most of the weight of the vehicle on it) shattering the axle instantly…

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wu81J8RLgM"]Subaru axle snapped in two places caught on camera - YouTube[/ame]

In conclusion, diff is great off road and despite its draw backs I would buy again. However if these CAPSLocker people end up releasing a rear locker for the Subaru I will be upgrading and would not consider the KAAZ diff even if it was a quarter of the price of the locker.

These are all my opinions and experiences and I would love to hear if others disagree or feel differently about this.

Wow, thanks a lot mate. Almost makes me second guess about getting one. So the caps locker wouldn't be able to work in with the kaaz? You would think that the locker would also break things

So the caps locker wouldn't be able to work in with the kaaz?

Knowing the layout of Subaru diffs then if the caps locker is ever released for a Subaru then I am almost certain it will be a complete replacement unit. It would be a poor marked decision to design something to work with the KAAZ diff as then people would have to buy one of them first, thus increasing the overall cost which is already likely to be high. I can not think of any way a locking device could be implemented with any subaru diff which I why I suspect if they offer anything it will be a complete replacement.

You would think that the locker would also break things
As long as it is not locked on road or where it is not needed a locker will almost always be nicer on the drive train for the same terrain than open or LSD diffs. It allows you to crawl and it constantly locked meaning less sudden shock loading. Of course you will be able to do more extreme driving with it than any other type of diff which may end up breaking more things.

Personally I am skeptical that a subaru locker will be release but we can only hope..

Yea I know you'd be able to do things slowly but this is rarely the case and I know people will have them locked and be driving hard still which will result in disaster

^ & etc

It would be a bit like the transfer case in my '68 LC. That is, only for use on surfaces where the wheels themselves can provide the slip needed in place of a differential ...

I accidentally left my LC in 4WD/HR on a bitumen road once. It threw the front drive shaft in about 50 metres ... :( :cry:. Fortunately it didn't wreck any part of the gear train, and minimal damage otherwise - plain bloody good luck if you ask me!

I don't think that Subies are in quite the same league for toughness as my old LC ... :poke: :iconwink: :lol:.

Like anything if you abuse it, it will break. But a locker will allow you to do more difficult tracks at a slower pace than anything else will, lowering the chance of damage to all components of the car.
Obviously I am a locker fan but IMO they are only of the only bit of kit the 4WD industry bangs on about that truely lives up to its reputation.

For those with facebook, take a look at how slowly a 2wd falcon with a locker can negotiate terain a Subaru may have difficulty with (hopefully the link will work...)

https://www.facebook.com/OffRoadFalcon/posts/1016358638450467

And I guess I have established that the weak point in the drive train is the axles, so unless the locker (if it ever exists) is weaker than the axles then it will not be any worse than with the KAAZ diff and probably a heap better.

Awesome write up Dedman!

I've not gone with a rear LSD in the hope that I can get my hands on a manual locker some day...

I've found the front helical LSD to be a HUGE improvement off and on road over the front open diff. The effort to fit a front LSD is seriously over-rated for the extra traction they offer IMO.

Cheers

Bennie

I subscribed to your Youtube channel since…long time !

Very cool videos and your Kaaz write up is very interesting. As I went the Quaife helical diffs front and rear because I wanted a smooth on road drive and no maintenance, I thought that Kaaz (or Cusco) plated diffs were more efficient than your description for off road use.

For those with facebook, take a look at how slowly a 2wd falcon with a locker can negotiate terain a Subaru may have difficulty with (hopefully the link will work...)

https://www.facebook.com/OffRoadFalc...16358638450467
Here's what the same piece of track looks like in a Patrol with 35 inch tyres, heaps of flex, but no lockers. He just keeps getting the diagonal wheel spin which he has to rock himself out of. We spent half the day talking about how unstoppable the Patrol would have been with either a front or rear locker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMpYG3JQ-7U&feature=youtu.be

This Subaru Outback with open front and rear diffs was able to stop for a wheel lift photo and then carry on with out any issues.
IMGP6066_zpsfamkpqxa.jpg

Getting back up that hill wouldn't even be worth trying with out some sort of front/rear LSD or diff lock. You would need to use too much speed and momentum which would just break things. My Forester has the rear vLSD which does get me out of some situations that I wouldn't get out of without it, but there is quite a bit of wheel spinning before it happens. Riding in the Falcon with the diff lock was incredible, you can't even tell when it's lifting a wheel.

Hahaha did the pooootrol driver say "too easy in this hay" next second later no forward movement hahah

I had best results with the Castrol Syntrax fluids, I think the 80w140 in the rear with the KAAZ and the 75w-90 in the gearbox with the Cusco front diff.

I also had the same 2 rear axles fitted with my LSD for 20,000 (? probably a lot more) kms and never had any issues, so it would be interesting to work out what the difference might be there. The crawl speed with the H6 and it's low down torque was pretty ridiculous so I almost always had the luxury of keeping speed and momentum to an absolute minimum.

Maybe ill give that oil a go next time.
I also had the same 2 rear axles fitted with my LSD for 20,000 (? probably a lot more) kms and never had any issues, so it would be interesting to work out what the difference might be there. The crawl speed with the H6 and it's low down torque was pretty ridiculous so I almost always had the luxury of keeping speed and momentum to an absolute minimum.

Its probably just driver error on my behalf, not backing off quickly enough when the diff starts slipping and wheels are spinning. Every failure occurred in the same situation, diff is overcome and unlocks as such, wheel spins, when wheel gets traction diff binds and all the kinetic energy snaps axle. Having the ability to crawl more probably would have helped as I do have to keep momentum on steep climbs . Possibly I am trying to complete harder tracks? Apart from that not sure.

No doubt a combination of things. It's years ago now but I actually stripped the splines out of a rear hub in my 2.5 L series in exactly that scenario and have been very conscious of it since. You're probably pushing things more too. The over hangs on the lib and stock bumper limited what I could do and I was happy with that, I don't like breaking things!

What style KAAZ did you buy? I bought the pre-98 model that takes the assymetric inner CVs, could be something in that.

It's years ago now but I actually stripped the splines out of a rear hub in my 2.5 L series in exactly that scenario and have been very conscious of it since.

Did you have your KAAZ in the L series?

I bought the symmetrical version for the later models. The other axles are way to hard to find....

Broken axles are an interesting phenomena. None more so than in the Subaru world. As some of you may know, I have my Forester for going off road in the dirt. It is fitted with the KAAZ rear plated diff. I have had it for a few years now, and I have not broken an axle. My other car is a WRX, which has the plated r180 rear diff and axles. I have given those axles the most severe punishment, and never broken one. Others who have the same set up as my WRX and who have been kinder on them have broken them. Some have suggested that when buying second hand axles, that they stress in a certain way, and that if you put the LHS one on the RHS, they are more prone to break. I don't know. Nor can I explain why Dedman has broken axles and I have not. What I do know is that is a modification that should be at the top of the list for anyone wanting to making their cars more capable.

I bought the symmetrical version for the later models. The other axles are way to hard to find....

No it had an open rear diff funnily enough, but the wheel got a fair bit of speed up before it touched the ground again. I'd be interested to know how your KAAZ feels with some different oil in the diff, because after a few thousand kms or so the only time I noticed the rear diff was when I wanted to go sideways. On the other hand I found the Cusco up front to be a dog of a thing.

Now maybe someone more knowledgeable could correct this but the KAAZ dealer in Melbourne told me when I approached him for more genue KAAZ oil to not bother. That the mineral oils drop the LSD particulates out of suspension in the fluid if they reach a certain temperature, but the synthetics oils do not. I could be horribly misquoting him but it was something along those lines. He was the one who put me onto the Castrol Syntrax. True or not I was happy with the results

What I do know is that is a modification that should be at the top of the list for anyone wanting to making their cars more capable.

100% agree. All the lift and tyres in the world mean zilch when your car stops dead every time it cocks a wheel.

Now maybe someone more knowledgeable could correct this but the KAAZ dealer in Melbourne told me when I approached him for more genuine KAAZ oil to not bother. That the mineral oils drop the LSD particulates out of suspension in the fluid if they reach a certain temperature, but the synthetics oils do not. I could be horribly misquoting him but it was something along those lines. He was the one who put me onto the Castrol Syntrax. True or not I was happy with the results.

There may be some truth to this as I dont really notice my diff much when its cold. After driving on the freeway for a bit though it becomes very very noticeable. I think I shall give some of that oil a try. Will keep you posted on the results.

Now maybe someone more knowledgeable could correct this but the KAAZ dealer in Melbourne told me when I approached him for more genuine KAAZ oil to not bother. That the mineral oils drop the LSD particulates out of suspension in the fluid if they reach a certain temperature, but the synthetics oils do not. I could be horribly misquoting him but it was something along those lines. He was the one who put me onto the Castrol Syntrax. True or not I was happy with the results.

There may be some truth to this as I dont really notice my diff much when its cold. After driving on the freeway for a bit though it becomes very very noticeable. I think I shall give some of that oil a try. Will keep you posted on the results.

Which of these two are you running in the rear?
https://www.castrol.com/en_au/austr...rsal-fluids/syntrax-limited-slip-75W-140.html

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/products/cars/axle-and-universal-fluids/syntrax-80w-140.html

Back