Project: Trail-Ready Low-Mileage SF5

Hello everyone! I'm Drew, I live in the Chicago area, and this is the build thread for my little daily driver that I purchased in May of 2015! Much of this is copied from my build thread on the Forester forum, but I will now update this one as I add parts/take cool pictures.

EDIT 6/24: I haven't been on in a while, so I wanted to clean the thread up a bit, and add some new photos as the Foz has grown a bit since my last update.

Let me start off with the basics:
1999 Forester L
5-Speed
56,000 miles (when purchased)
One Owner
Pristine Interior
Casette deck!

Current Mods:

Anderson Design Fab 2" lift kit w/ trailing arm spacers
Curt Extended Roof Basket (wanting to switch to a Yakima as this is rusting after a year)
Method MR502 15x7 et15 Rally Wheels
General Grabber AT2's (Soon to be replaced by larger KO2's)
JDM/EDM SF5 grille
Hella 500FF's tinted yellow w/ euro covers
Yellow factory fogs
Blox 490 gram black chrome shift knob
bumper quick releases
Yakima spare tire carrier modded to work
3mm wheel spacers
Magnaflow low-profile muffler
D-Rings
RallyArmor UR flaps
LED headlights, reverse lights, and plate lights

Future Mods:
Steel low-profile bumpers
Bigger tires

Current Look:

rHgkCR3h.jpg

I've been a WRX owner for about 6 years now (owned a world rally blue sedan for 4 of those years, and have owned a platinum silver metallic wagon for the last 2)

I've been a diehard Subaru fan since I was a kid, and really have never had much of a desire to own anything else.

As I have continued to modify my WRX's over the years, the need for a comfortable daily driver has grown and grown. After I graduated from college, I began hunting for a clean, older Subaru that could be used easily for commuting and road trips, and boy did I find one!

This car literally fell into my lap, as it was traded into the dealership that I had worked at throughout college. This was a 1 owner car, owned and meticulously maintained by an older woman who had originally purchased it in Seattle.

The car has needed a little TLC, as the front fenders were banged up pretty badly, and the interior was dirty, but those were things I was able to fix!

Aside from the aesthetic flaws, this was exactly what I wanted: Manual transmission, low mileage, full maintenance history, and it was a Forester!

Here is a pic of the damage on the front fender the day I bought it:

And back out into the sunlight for the first time after the repair. The paint is a little orange-peeled, but it doesn't really bother me. Also had to add some mad tyte jdm quick releases, as the bumper tabs on both sides were broken.

Also, just in case you didn't believe me:

Last edited:
Phase 1.5:

I painted the wheels black, and started having some fun with the car.

I love the way this car looks covered in a little bit of mud

Phase 1.5.5:

Back in December, I installed a few little christmas presents to myself! A pair of Hella 500FF's. I wanted the lights to look as clean as possible, so with a little help from my old man, we whipped up a pair of custom brackets that tie the lights into the bumper beam.

Here's the only photo I took of the brackets. The two rear bolts are tied directly to the bumper beam. I drilled all the way through, and ran 3" stainless bolts with locking nuts and washers.

Lights mounted to the brackets (these brackets are strong enough for me to stand on)

Fast-forward to the installation of the grille. I had to cut a small notch in on each side to fit the wires and the bracket, but it isn't noticeable.

Grille reinstalled!

Annnnd all done!

Took the Forester out on my buddy's dirt bike track quite a bit this winter, and had a blast! This hill was a lot steeper than it looks in the photo.

Last edited:
Phase 2.0:

Got the new wheels and tires put on in February!

Last edited:
Phase 2.5:

A few new updates: I now have the new (proper looking) grille on the car!

I just rattle-canned it satin black (it was green originally)

Masking torn off, and it didn't turn out too bad!

Installed!!

Last edited:
Ran into another off-road prepped Subaru at Cars & Coffee a few weeks back, so obviously we took some pictures

Last edited:
Now we're caught up! Recently I got my Yakima roof basket tire mount put on the car, and I am loving it! Soon I'll put another grabber on this spare wheel, but my old street tire will do for now.

Last edited:
NEW PICTURES:

Quite a bit has changed since I last posted in 2016. The car is now lifted 2" using ADF's outstanding kit with their trailing arm spacers. Install wasn't fun, but wasn't nearly as bad as I expected it would be (seeing as I was tearing apart a 20 year old Subaru)

Mod list up top is up to date, and I'm enjoying the current state of the car. I did the timing belt and valve cover gaskets a few months back, and the car is now at 95k miles and running strong as ever. It needs new front cv's as I tore both inner boots installing the lift (no idea how I managed to do that)

Next on the mod list is upgrading the grabbers to BFG KO2's in the fall before winter

rHgkCR3h.jpg

t1VxLfOh.jpg

8QFID9Wh.jpg

Wheels change look amazingly and with ko2 it will look even better as those sides on ko2 look so badass.
Roof rack rusting? Just repaint it. Is that a problem? We have all kind rust proof paint out there.
Change those boots dont wait until all grease will come out. And its making mess there .and inner ones droping all that grease on catalyst could make very bad smell inside car. And other side on exaust. And dont buy cheap aftermarket boots. they will brake so fast. I tested many. Oem used ones can hold longer then those new cheap aftermarket ones.
I just buy couple front and rear used axles and then use those boots. Cheaper too.and oem ones just hold long time. Tested

Hmm....i like lifted Foresters but on this particular car i´m a bit indecisive.
Maybe it´s because of the 205/75-15 size of tyres...??

Overall it looked better w/o the lift and that tyre size from my point of view.
Is 225/70-15 an Option for you? There are a some SG´s out there with Methods and 225/70-15 , looking really good.....

But still a nice looking SF :)

Thanks for the update Drew - lookin' good!

Thank you Kevin! I appreciate it!

Hmm....i like lifted Foresters but on this particular car i´m a bit indecisive.
Maybe it´s because of the 205/75-15 size of tyres...??

Overall it looked better w/o the lift and that tyre size from my point of view.
Is 225/70-15 an Option for you? There are a some SG´s out there with Methods and 225/70-15 , looking really good.....

But still a nice looking SF :)

I agree with you completely that the lift has made the small tires painfully apparent. 225/70 would be my ideal size, but I'm planning on going with a 215/75 ko2, because I don't believe that make them in that size. I know the grabbers are, but I haven't been terribly impressed with the wear on my Generals, so I'm ready to make a switch.

Wheels change look amazingly and with ko2 it will look even better as those sides on ko2 look so badass.
Roof rack rusting? Just repaint it. Is that a problem? We have all kind rust proof paint out there.
Change those boots dont wait until all grease will come out. And its making mess there .and inner ones droping all that grease on catalyst could make very bad smell inside car. And other side on exaust. And dont buy cheap aftermarket boots. they will brake so fast. I tested many. Oem used ones can hold longer then those new cheap aftermarket ones.
I just buy couple front and rear used axles and then use those boots. Cheaper too.and oem ones just hold long time. Tested

I've been thinking about getting new boots and putting them on as well. I hate to discard my oem axles for cheap ones, just for torn boots. They're not clicking, and haven't been torn long so I think they would be okay with a re-packing and new boots.

The plan right now with the rack is to grind off the rust, and seal it with rust prohibitive primer, then hit it with a thick textured black to hopefully seal it up in the future.

Thanks for the kind words!

Last edited:
Back