What else could you offroad?

Ahh yes, I see. I think it's more interesting to open it up though!

haha,
some 4WD vehicles don;t even need to use the other 2 wheels for a good part of their offroad time.
A mate and I drove in to Southport Lagoon in his Suzuki Sierra without realising we hadn't locked the front hubs.
No grip issues with the couple of wading, mud-hole crossings or beach driving.
we only noticed when climbing over the low dune at the end into the campsite.

:lildevil:

Reminds me of the time my father and his cousin in law went tahr hunting up the Gladstone Valley, close to Mt Cook. They made it all the way in and only got stuck on the last river crossing on the way out, as the electric front hubs on the old LJ78 Prado weren't working. Amazing where a 2wd with long travel suspension and mud tyres will take you.
Needless to say my mother wasn't impressed at having to go 4wding, at night, in our 1996 Terrano, with three young kids, to tow them out!
What was even worse was that she lacked the strength to put it in low range, so drove the whole way in high four up and down some pretty knarly terrain.

Great fun for me as a kid though.

I took my 1986 corolla onto the beach at Inskip Point once :lol:

She sat pretty tall, and the sand was firm-ish. I managed to get out to the harder packed stuff and only just got stuck trying to come back into camp. Was a barrel of laughs.

For just a minute there, the old girl mistook herself for a hilux :lol:

Without LSD or diff locks, I guess you could only regard my old toyota bus as a one wheel drive, but I took that down along the Bass river to the river mouth at low tide, pumped some worms and then drove back up again, negotiating a 400mm step up from the river by carefully placing wheels.....that was fun and could've been the last ride the van ever took if the tide caught me....it helped I had nice big muddies on the rear.

The Greek Korres P4 all terrain vehicle could possibly tempt me away from my Forester for some purposes ... :cool:.

I don't think that towing a camper trailer would be its forté ... :lol: :rotfl:.

https://www.korresproject.gr/?page_id=3199

Love it!!

That really is something if one is interested in articulation
https://www.korresproject.gr/?page_id=1744#prettyPhoto[portfolio]/3/

But the best part is that it runs an GM LS7 V8 according to the specs - it could tow the subaru with the camper attached Ratbag!

Many moons ago when I lived in the NT I owned a Haflinger.
Now that would just about go anywhere....if at a leisurely pace.
I think was only 640 ccs but 6, or perhaps 5, speed gearbox and a 64 :1 low reduction , excellent ground clearance due to portal axles and diff locks front and rear made it extremely capable but rather slow. Hard to turn on full lock though.
6 people could lift it if it became stuck, which was rather rare.

Last edited:
Back