• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Outback '01 2.5 4eat VDC project

So couple years ago i bought myself my first subaru ever and after long time thinking took outback against forester. Didint had budget for newer one so went for some 2nd gen that i found

Top original, lower 2"" lift with BFG TA KO2 215/65 R16
n5nmsdMh.jpg

It was 2001 subaru outback 2.5 4eat eith rear LSD and early VDC package. All weather with heated seats, windows, climate control.
It has rear self leveling shocks still ok condition so i left them just put 2" spacer on top. Not sure is it made car harder and less comfy but it can take load very well. But its not soft car to drive fast on bad roads
Then i cut front bumper and put steel skid plate just for engine. Diy it myself from steel sheet from scrapyard
abWmdRUh.jpg

My lift is high enough I can get under the car pretty easily too!

Until you mentioned it, I never even thought about the fact that that the car jack I have is probably not going to be high enough to lift the car to change a wheel now. I better throw a couple of bits of Jarrah I use for chocks in the back of the car..

Sounds like you really need to change those gaskets.

Thought of those too i have one similar to that.
My oem car jack was lifting car with 3 planks under it. I had some wood block that i was having in car earlier too for my hydraulic jack. Wood blocks are not taking space but they not good for ground just for some solid asphalt or similar. Of course in garage or in yard you can have planks or blocks no prob but in middle of road or forest you must be prapared at least i like to have in car something for any situation.

I'd last about a day with a yoda. Drive me mad it would.

Having said that, how great would car stands that looked like Yodas or Ewoks be!

And where would you keep it? Yoda?

Good question. I've got no idea where to keep a Yoda.

I know some caves in the mountains - he might be able to customise one to suit his taste.

If he came for a drive in the Subie it could go anywhere.

thats LPG was working so bad last days and weeks even. decided i would need to take apart and clean that LPG regulator
it looks like this under hood

Shark.jpg

i took it apart and surprise surprise. thats all part must be clean becasue in this place where gas from liquid state become into gas state. i duno how my car was goinf on LPG at all.
TiYOpf5l.jpg

other places looked similar too , so lots of cleaning and after car running on LPG now like clock. great. now will see how about MPG will it change.

Wow! you should have taken an after shot of that bottom bit. Is that all carbon?

Last edited by a moderator:
yh all some **** like carbon from all the bad stuff that comes with LPG.
other side had some places with lots that as well. similar to this
IMG_20141124_143741.jpg

IMG_20141124_143628.jpg

and its not easy to just clean places like those . but i did my best used very small screwdrivers , small metal brushes, knifes.

I bet it's worth the effort though!

its worth sure . just now im thinking my car lacking power. like i know its heavy and i know 2.5 engine its not powerhose, and 4eat its not manual, but compare to this my previous mazda 323f 1.5 , 66kw feels like sports car. and i gave to drive it couple persons they all said its somethign wrong its not going , like not enough power.
so i wonder im getting that P0420 all time and well even if its that O2 sensor on catalyst, can it give me such bad fuel mix that i would lack so much power.
now today i was driving on sandy forest and places, then in one place i thought i need to turn around in 3 moves, so i tried to go reverse, rear wheels where in some kind of holes but car was not touching bottom or anything, still i pressed gass to floor and it just couldnt go up in reverse. in was not on hill just some deep tracks maybe but it didint spin wheels its just was loos in torque i guess. or like on low revs it doesnt have power. so my tires had so much grip that my engine just died on torque was very weird feeling.
i have no idea how this outback with this engine must drive i never drove another one so i duno i thought maybe it must be this slugish. but sometimes i think something maybe wrong with him. how this engine feel so low power ? compare to this then how those foresters with 2.0 NA even move . it really feels like this car has less power then 1.5 mazda. yes that one lighter and but still. this should be 115kw .
and another thing if anyone knows does that torque pro app on adroid shows real HP ? like it has 0-60 times and such and with that it can show how much power you generate on that run . so i wonder can that app show real HP there or its just calculated by some method and its not real .

still had fun with slow car
AcDuMfwh.jpg

WKMxSoFh.jpg

couldnt go up on this sand hill . its pretty steep and sand there very soft plus there was some holes that my suspension was maxing out even without sway bars.
tried couple times with VDC on. got not far. then tried VDC off and 1st gear fixed. got almost to top but then stopped . no way i could drive that thing . i was loosing momentum on those holes . but it was lots fun

think that with both sway bars off was better to get more flex, but was not enough momentum which was lost fast
g0h1kwph.jpg

then even found some pretty deep water crossing. on one place it was almost touching my door as you can see. went very slow to not get water where i dont want it
PpMkMsih.jpg

made mounting for hi lift. but its not right place for it to be , because like this i cant put my sides on roof rack. so that jack would go more inside rack then. it cant go on side rack as those large 4wd use as my rack is just too light and not strong enough to keep it from side, would be too much preasure on rack frame, but now its on top so its fine . holds there very solid no movement even with just one U bolt and with 3 its even better.
pixlr_20180622194913826_zpsh9jsaxnz.jpg

imgur stopped working , so using photobucket again. not sure it will show pic on all devices. hope it will work.

rechecked that timing belt marks. i think it was little off. now its good and all things back , new coolant and such.
Z0kNmbcl.jpg

Good job.

I see that you don't have the twin cam engine; my 1997 Outback had the twin cam engine and it performed better than the single cam engine in my Forester.

Good job.
I see that you don't have the twin cam engine; my 1997 Outback had the twin cam engine and it performed better than the single cam engine in my Forester.

Should have stuck it in the forester.. :cool:

It's one of the things I'm considering for the EG33 in the SVX if it all becomes to hard to turn that into a dirt tourer.
Mind you, it'd probably be harder to shoehorn an EG33 into the foz than it would be to turn the SVX into a dirt runner...

All depends on getting a roadworthy on the SVX, if I can get that without too much hassle, next step will be working out how to lift it 50.8mm.
(sorry for the offtopicness)

Well sohc are better easier and cheapier engines to maintaine. And from 2000 this gen 2.5 goes sohc all of them. Thats one reason to put lpg on it and have cheap and easy valve edjustment. You need to remove engine or lift it on dohc . sohc you can do it in car , still enough space. But yh can be that twin cam perform kinda better. Most of previous gen dohc outbacks have that HG problem and their even worse then my gen HG leaks. With mine i can still use the car its just external leak. No coolant in oil or vice versa.

Had my Outback for 5 years; no leaks, no head gasket issues - it was a great car.

so you got lucky or it was changed allready. because in those EJ25D engines they used single layer coated gaskets and they used same ones on early next gen outbacks too. i have this kind as well. but this problem solved if you put newer better gasket on it . never again have to worry for it if jobs done well.
they went to dohc again from 2005.
at some point i will need to do that HG job and im still possitive i can do it myself and alone. well maybe with someone to help but not sure. i work alone better . no hurry know what i need to do .

looked at those specs in wikipedia and they interesting

EJ25D
DOHC (1996) - SAE - 155 hp (116 kW) @ 5600 rpm
140 ft⋅lbf (190 N⋅m) at 2800 rpm
DOHC (1997–1999) - SAE - 165 hp (123 kW) @ 5600 rpm
162 ft⋅lbf (220 N⋅m) at 4000 rpm

EJ251
Power ISO: 123 kW (165 hp) @ 5600 RPM
226 N⋅m (167 ft⋅lbf) @ 4400 rpm

im sure my model everywhere online said its 115kw / 156hp . but my engine is EJ251. so how come its not 123kw ? and i buy all parts for 115kw engine. hmm now i looked at onoine shop they let me choose 123kw version engine too but they dont have parts for that. all parts they have are for 115kw version somehow. maybe those are like EU vs US models. who knows.

some say those Phase 2 sohc engine have more torque over Phase 1 dohc at some rpm

All Outbacks have the more powerful Phase II 2.5L SOHC Boxer engine first used in the 1999 Forester and Impreza RS. This 2.5L has 20% more torque at 1250 RPM, 30% more at 2,4000 RPM and a whopping 50% more at 3,250 RPM!

Back