Breathers...Includes a how to DIY.

Great idea! not cheap at $20, plus its in the US so there's shipping as well. Very simple effective device though...great find! :biggrin:

Not cheap at $20, plus its in the US so there's shipping as well.

Yeah pretty pricey for what it is. But if you compare it to the cost of fuel tubes and filters to make a conventional breather it is pretty reasonable.

Of course there wouldnt be enough room above a Subaru diff for one though so you would need to connect it with a bit of pipe.

You would want it to be very flexible so that it doesn't create a slight vacuum/pressures in the diff from its elasticity though.

On another note I got some tube today to make a transmission breather and improve my rear diff breather :ebiggrin:

Everything i need for front and rear diff breathers has been sitting in the shed since last year. I'll get around to it one day

A front breather the same size as the filler would make adding oil easier

I dont know. running super viscose gearbox oil down a long tube sounds like a PITA to me. Would take for ever. Im planing to leave the dipstick in the glove box or some other compartment on the car.

Changed my gearbox and rear diff oil today.
10991571355_a93e2b799a.jpg

The gearbox oil is on the left and the diff oil on the right. Obviously quite a lot of water in the gear box oil where as the diff oil looked as though it had no water in it.

The car has been stuck with diff well and truly underwater and gearbox potentially under water with both diff and gearbox without breathers yet only the gearbox seems to have ingested water.... Very interesting.....

This finding has made me very happy that I went to the effort to install a gearbox breather :ebiggrin:

Last edited:
I dropped the oil when it was nice an hot and left it to drain for ages with the car on a massive forwards slope so it would all run to the front. Then leveled it out again and left it to drain some more. put a splash of new oil in and it ran through clean so hopefully that was enough of a flushout.

Sorry, no.

This is a major problem with the Internet IMNSHO - here today, gone tomorrow ... :poke: :(

The water may get in through the rear housing seal. its very hard to control that because of temperature different, seal prevents oil get out but does not mean it will stop anything coming in.

Cheers.

^ yes, he is.

Even if you own your own web site (as I do), links to images are easily broken. In many cases, people have quite arbitrary limits on storage too. Many quite valid, ordinary reasons why images get moved, or removed. Probably as many as there are different posters ...

Back