whats the difference?

eden

bush bash'n ranga
whats the difference between an early transfer gearbox and a late transfer gearbox. ATM ihave a late transfer box which needs replacing and the mechanic recommends puting in a early transfer box because of the lift and abuse i give her. what do you think???

Eden,

I am not sure if there are two different transfer boxes for the Outbacks, or if he is referring to the L-Series type transfer box.

If he means the L-Series type, then you will only have Front drive on the highway, but a locked centre, when in 4WD, as opposed to AWD.

To do this, you would have to replace the internals of the existing box, with L-Series internals, which do handle the power of the 2.5 litre motor in the lighter car, but not sure how it would handle the extra power with the extra weight.

Beigewagon.

Another thought,

The L-Series box, would also give a lower low range for off road as well as a locked centre. Approx. 1.6 reduction instead of around 1.2?

Beigewagon.

You can put the L series into a liberty/outback 5sp dual range. Very easy mod, you even retain the liberty gearing as its just the low range gearset that is replaced.

Just to clarify - i'm pretty sure I know what you mean - the L series low range is relatively easy to put into the Liberty gearbox, a small mod needs to be done to the L selector fork to hold it in the selected gear.

This will change your liberty low range from 1:1.19 to the L series 1:1.59. A massive difference - I experienced this first hand the other week when I had to get a liberty out of a sticky situation that the owner wasn't keen on doing themselves. The liberty might as well not have a low range! Much prefer the L low range...

This topic has been discussed many times on the ausubi site if there's no info about that here.

Cheers

Bennie

Back