Experiences with King Springs KSRS-56 for MY17 Outback?

jmsyd

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
CVT
I'm thinking about upgrading the rear suspension on my outback, with KSRS-56 King springs. When it's fully loaded for camping, with kids and bikes on the back, the standard suspension seems too low, especially then driving on dirt roads.

Any opinions on this upgrade? Will it help and how with the normal handling be?

I note that the KSRS-56 are standard height springs so unless they are progressive or stiffer there is no real advantage. You may be better off with a lift and leave the springs as is; I'm sure [MENTION=2617]NachaLuva[/MENTION] can advise.

Ahh, I assumed they were stiffer.

Also, it says "raised coil" in the catalogue, for the OB?

On my Kings Springs catalogue, it says KSRS56 is raised springs for a BS OB. These will add about 1" so if the rear is regularly sagging with a full boot will help to keep it level.

Keep in mind that unloaded, the rear will sit higher, most likely 1/2-1" and will make the rear of the car very loose & bouncy

If you are thinking of lifting it to keep it clear of gravel damage & potholes, rough roads, etc, you can have an extra 1/2" built into the rear spacers. This has the advantage of keeping the factory handling. Subarus have a very low centre of gravity, so a lift kit has little effect on handling

The Kings Springs site kingsprings.com.au says it's a "raised coil" for your model (but is a standard height coil for a SH Foz). It would be good if they published the spring rate, if they are progressive and how much longer it is for comparison - maybe contact them and find out.

Thanks for the info, I've emailed them with some questions.

Does your Outback come with self leveling rear suspension - I thought all outback come with it? I'm thinking doing the same to my MY14 outback but with standard (outback) height but stiffer as it sags so obvious when towing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know -- how can you tell?

Checking the specifications from the manual or on the website?

Pretty sure it's not self-leveling, can't see it in the specs or when in use with loads.

Kings responded with this: "[FONT=&quot]Our KSRS-56 will be an approx 15-20mm lift and 20% stiffer in rate when fitted to the 5th gen Outback."

What does 20% stiffer in rate buy someone in terms of preventing sag under load?

[/FONT]

I reckon with the lift and increased rate they will do the job.

I've not be able to find any info for self-leveling in 2016 OBs so seems it doesn't have it; maybe it was dropped when they changed the rear suspension to double wishbone instead of struts?

Subaru might have dropped the self-leveling rear suspension in recent models.

It clearly indicates in my MY14 Manual that it still has it

Attachments

• MY14 Manual.JPG
    MY14 Manual.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 4
[MENTION=14999]jmsyd[/MENTION] will have to be absolutely sure as it would be a different spring if self-leveling; although Kings have made no mention of it as an option and nor do they say that the KSRS-56 does not suit self-leveling as they have done with other models.

I don't know -- how can you tell?
The SLS strut looks very different, it is a very large diameter. The non SLS strut has straight sides, the SLS is bulbous. It sounds like it might be non SLS now, if you're not sure post up a photo & we'll be able to tell you.

Kings responded with this: "[FONT=&quot]Our KSRS-56 will be an approx 15-20mm lift and 20% stiffer in rate when fitted to the 5th gen Outback."
[/FONT]
That sounds good. I thought it was more than that but 15-20mm will work well.
20% will stiffen up the rear, let us know what it's like unloaded

Will these springs work ok with one of your lift kits? Or would you recommend stock springs?

What does 20% stiffer in rate buy someone in terms of preventing sag under load?

perhaps not surprisingly, 20%.

If the car currently drops 50mm under a given load, it'll drop 40mm with 20% stiffer springs.

Will these springs work ok with one of your lift kits? Or would you recommend stock springs?
Yes it will work fine with my lift kit, but I would do 2" all round not 2.5" rear. I've had lots of people use HD rear springs in conjunction with a 2" lift, it's very popular for Foresters & I'm sure I've had a few people do it with an Outback too. Both Foresters & Outbacks are known for their bum sag lol

If you're going to regularly load up the rear I would suggest the raised springs. 15-20mm isn't very much & might end up slightly higher unloaded & level when loaded

Back