Oil Filler Cap - EA82

stephendean

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Outback
Transmission
auto
I have often felt that the oil filler cap on my subbie is rather loose. You can rotate to you feel resistance then if you turn it more it turns easier. Is this normal, me thinks mine is not sealing that well as there is always a residue of oil on filler pipe etc. Have others noticed this?

You may want to look into a new filler cap, but it could be the filler neck itself. Start small and try replacing the little rubber gasket inside the cap, then the cap itself, then if that doesnt fix it try the filler neck. Should only cost you a few bits for each part.

Stephendean,

The oil filler cap on the Beigewagon has been like that for as long as I can recall. Feels loose then tightens before loosening again to remove. It doesnt leak, but may give somewhere for air enter the engine while my oil is blowing out the exhaust on those long downhills.

Beigewagon

OK dumb story time. This is a story going around here in the US.

A person goes into a car parts store, and asks for a 710 cap. The guy behind the counter says he doesn't know what a 710 cap is. So, this person says it fell off, but I can show you where it goes.

When they go out to the car, this person points to the oil filler neck, and says it used to be right there. The guy says, "Oh, you mean the Oil Cap?"

The old cap was installed with the word OIL upside down.

I first heard this from the show Car Talk, on NPR.

Yes. Old story here in Oz to. I once worked in a dealership spare parts department located on a main road. We had 4 different makes of car. A lady came in wanting a part for her car. When I asked her what type of car she had, she told me "It's a green car, I drive it past here all the time."

yes. Old story here in oz to. I once worked in a dealership spare parts department located on a main road. We had 4 different makes of car. A lady came in wanting a part for her car. When i asked her what type of car she had, she told me "it's a green car, i drive it past here all the time."

lol :d

I have often felt that the oil filler cap on my subbie is rather loose. You can rotate to you feel resistance then if you turn it more it turns easier. Is this normal, me thinks mine is not sealing that well as there is always a residue of oil on filler pipe etc. Have others noticed this?
You can make it tight again just bend the tabs on the cap to give resistance in the tight spot.

G'day mrturbo.The bending of the tabs will only work on the ea series subaroos.The later ones,ej, are screw on.I guess a subaru improvement.

Back