(very) brief Vic high country through-trip

duncanm

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
BH5 Outback. JDM Twin Turbo Conversion
Transmission
5MT DR
.. did a bit of Vic high country over the weekend on the way back from Melbourne.

Nothing serious; 2wd roads in dry conditions -- Dargo to Omeo via Dog's grave, and thence to McKillop's bridge via Limestone Rd and through to Delegate.

Made the mistake of going down Limestone Creek Track to check out the campsite down there. Abandoned that idea and retreated after the third steep pitch down (I should have stopped at the top of the second and checked it out first before going down).

Coming back up - I discovered a few things that'll need some work before I consider anything like that again:
1/ the outback's low range (1.19) is not low enough
2/ a rear LSD would be nice / essential.
3/ I need a lift and need to do something about the lower-hanging parts of the 3" exhaust. As expected, the outback overhangs are a problem, too.
4/ turbo + no LSD + not enough gearing leads to some fairly large spurts of power while trying to keep above stalling speed.

All of the above means that although I have plenty of power to ascend, I can't do it at a sensible (read slow enough) speed -- leading to some serious wheelspin, less control, and things going bump as the car lurches over ruts.

No matter - we escaped with only a smelly clutch and slightly dented exhaust, then went on to Native Dog Flat for the night. Didn't see much wildlife (saw more in my backyard this morning when a fox wandered through!), but the kids got to experience some cold in the tents as it dropped below freezing overnight.

Nice Duncan!

I've not been up in the high country for offroading in some time - I really miss it too.

Last time I was properly up there with a crew from qld, the turbo crew found their max boost came on later in the rev range, most likely due to a lower atmospheric pressure at altitude.

I was wondering if you experienced the same thing?

Sounds like your outback did well considering it sounds like you're running a stock or stockish suspension setup...

Cheers

Bennie

Nice Duncan!

I've not been up in the high country for offroading in some time - I really miss it too.

Last time I was properly up there with a crew from qld, the turbo crew found their max boost came on later in the rev range, most likely due to a lower atmospheric pressure at altitude.

I was wondering if you experienced the same thing?

Sounds like your outback did well considering it sounds like you're running a stock or stockish suspension setup...

Cheers

Bennie

Bennie,

boost comes on very low (twin tubs) - before 2000, can't say I noticed it being any higher. I found I had trouble modulating power with the quick spool. Enough accelerator to hill start (with a slipping clutch) led to some wheelspin, which led to revs and mucho boost and a launch. More practice is required.

Stock suspension on road tyres -- a 2" lift and some underbody protection would be nice when the bank allows.

I realised afterwards my tyres were still at road pressures, too. I'm sure that didn't help.

Nothing quite like waking up with ice on your tent or the stars at 0300 when that bladder requirement strikes.

It was a quick trip to the loo before diving back into the sleeping bag, that's for sure!

I haven't yet seen the "high country"
My friend bought a pajero to do the high country this year, keeps telling me to get a 4x4 so i can make it lol
Im determined to get my foz through lol

Ive been thinking about trying to get a victorian off-road trip organised this year for anyone interested in vic with a subaru to come along.

I think it could be an awesome idea to try and meet up and have some fun together.
should be something we do more often

1WD

I would heartily recommend being part of the Subaru 4WD Club of Victoria trip. I took part in the last trip and it was great.

My SJ Forester N/A did well. Some were wondering how the CVT would go but there were no problems at all. I turned up the day after they did the Billy Goat Bluff track but did plenty of other steep and rutted tracks including Blue Rag Range Track and up to the Trig Point. No low range but it wasn't needed. I gave the X-Mode quite a workout
though!

Back