GreenSuby

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Manual
Gday all
Under the front of my 2004 forester there are 2 tiedown/recovery points.
Are these good enough to be used as a snatching point if needed?
If not what other options are there?
Thanks
Greensuby

Yes but only if you use a distribution strap and two rated 3.2 tonne bow shackles. You loop the snatch strap through the distribution strap. Generally you only need a mild snatch to free a Forester.

They are ok for mild bogs. But in a bad mud bog you will rip the tie down points out before the car comes out. I prefer to use other recover methods, such as maxtrax/treds which work great in most bogs, but have had some gentle snatches out, from the crests of dunes with no issues. Havachat's method is fine in most cases as long as the bog isn't too bad. The suction in made makes things harder.

I dont intend to take it through mud holes, etc, just on the beach or tracks/trails. The poor low range limits where it should be taken & I've got a grand cherokee for harder stuff.
I was just hoping that they could be used so I've got another option to the treds (got 2 sets now). Always good to have options.
I guess I'll need a lighter snatch strap for the suby, 3 or 4T?
Thanks for your replies.
Greensuby

It is fine for light snatching out of sand bogs. Recommend distribution strap between the two tie downs though and you will never have any issues.

Don't forget the towbar as a recovery point. If you got into it forwards, should be able to get out backwards.

Don't forget the towbar as a recovery point. If you got into it forwards, should be able to get out backwards.

But never ever put a snatch strap on a tow ball as it will break off and kill someone. Hopefully you have a tow bar with a 50 mm receiver. If you have you can fit a recovery hitch with a bow shackle so as to be recovered backwards or to recover another vehicle.

^ Or you can just remove the ball receiver tongue and use the attachment pin of the receiver through the eyelet of the snatch strap. Don't forget to put the retaining clip into the end of the pin during the recovery, and to replace it securely after re-fitting the receiver into the tow bar - i.e. double check in both cases.

Gidday GS

Gday all
Under the front of my 2004 forester there are 2 tiedown/recovery points.
Are these good enough to be used as a snatching point if needed?

The front tie down points and front subframes are much stronger on the SG models than they are on the SF models. In the SG, there is an extra front subframe above the one in the SF, and the tie down points are attached so that they span both subframes in the SG.

Agree that you have to be very careful of suction forces in mud bogs! Best to dig out exit ramps, and use Treds etc if available. If not, use dead branches etc under the wheels if possible.

I use a sling shackled to both front tie down points if required. Evens the forces when being pulled/snatched.
Having said that always attempt to dig yourself out first.

But never ever put a snatch strap on a tow ball as it will break off and kill someone. Hopefully you have a tow bar with a 50 mm receiver. If you have you can fit a recovery hitch with a bow shackle so as to be recovered backwards or to recover another vehicle.

Yea probably should of mentioned that, I take off the towball, a 3.2t shackle fits the hole in the tongue nicely.

Back