• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Chainsaws

^ now that is quality postin'

Wow, Thanks! I was concerned that it was too much.:ebiggrin:

Gravel_Rocks, How do you find those Husky's you have? Those limbing saws are great too!

Like someone said, the Huskys are a notch below Stihl and Echo for the professional user. To me the Huskies fit and finish, the plastic just looks cheaper and it appears to not be quite as heavy duty overall compared to the other 2 brands. I worked for HuskyPower in the mid-'80s, the sole importer for parts from the manufacturer in Sweden to the US. I was pulling parts to be shipped to saw shops etc. and became very familiar with each model of saw and it's components, very interesting job. Sadly the company has changed and offers what seems like a cheaper made saw. I say "it seems" because my Husqavarna saws perform just as they should every time I grab one. While in WV last weekend the 455 got a workout, and did great, making my driveway a little wider.:iconwink:
If $$ were no issue, I'd like to have a new Stihl. But it is!
I've got a buddy that's a hobbyist wood carver using saws, Stihl is his choice.
He had multiple issues with the Husky safety on the handle.

Any brand can have it own problems, which is why it's important to use a new saw a decent amount while it's still under warranty. If there's a weakness hopefully it'd show itself.
Thanks, I love my little saws.:monkeydance:

I usually cut 10 - 15 cubic meters of wood a year for my wood burning stove and other uses. I have owned a fair few chainsaws over the years but I have to say my current favorite is a small 31cc Echo, light and yet pretty powerful for its size. The vibration damping system on this little beast is very effective. I have used this little saw for hours at a time, and have used it to carve up big Eucalyptus trees when we had some serious wind last year. Its light weight and effective damping system saves on fatigue and therefore a safer working environment. Just have a couple of spare, sharpened chains and this little saw will surprise you at what it can handle.

I usually cut 10 - 15 cubic meters of wood a year for my wood burning stove and other uses. I have owned a fair few chainsaws over the years but I have to say my current favorite is a small 31cc Echo, light and yet pretty powerful for its size. The vibration damping system on this little beast is very effective. I have used this little saw for hours at a time, and have used it to carve up big Eucalyptus trees when we had some serious wind last year. Its light weight and effective damping system saves on fatigue and therefore a safer working environment. Just have a couple of spare, sharpened chains and this little saw will surprise you at what it can handle.

Is this the one you are talking about?

https://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-310

Thanks for that I will definitely have a closer look at that one. Seems to be priced in between the Husky and the Sthil.

i use chainsaws a lot, (living in country vic our only source of heat is wood heater) and stihl are worth every penny cant beat them. if you cant afford one get a husky there just as good and a little cheaper.
the main thing for me is to get one with the inertia kick back (look in to it). may save your life and the cheap ones don't have it so its worth the extra $$$

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-CS33ET14-14-Inch-2-Stroke-Compliant/dp/B003JTGNNC/ref=cm_cmu_pg__header"]Amazon.com : Hitachi CS33ET14 14-Inch 32cc 2-Stroke Gas Powered Top Handle Chain Saw (CARB Compliant) : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

This one looks OK, I know the top handle saws aren't as safe but I doubt most would have trouble handling that little thing. The size saving is worth it just for a camp saw I reckon.
Not sure about Hitachi saws though didn't know they made them till I found that I know their power tools are highly regarded though. 7 years warranty though can't be to bad.

Amazon.com : Hitachi CS33ET14 14-Inch 32cc 2-Stroke Gas Powered Top Handle Chain Saw (CARB Compliant) : Patio, Lawn & Garden

This one looks OK, I know the top handle saws aren't as safe but I doubt most would have trouble handling that little thing. The size saving is worth it just for a camp saw I reckon.
Not sure about Hitachi saws though didn't know they made them till I found that I know their power tools are highly regarded though. 7 years warranty though can't be to bad.

If the weight is correct... 13lbs is pretty heavy for a small saw.

I live in a logging community, and regularly talk to professional loggers and the only saw they use are stihls, I have had an 046 magnum for close to fifteen years, it has been used to cut firewood for three households for half of that time as well as a slabbing saw with a 25" bar on it (I make furniture)and it has never missed a beat, ever, though I do service it and keep it spotlessly clean around the air filters etc, for my money they're the best saw on the market

I've got a Stihl and have had it for almost 25 years continuous 100% service but it has been stored for the past 12 months with full tank and now won't start! Checked everything but no go, what could it be?

Going to air torque wrench run it for a few minutes if all else fails, hopefully that will clear what ever it is but any thoughts?

:(

I've got a Stihl and have had it for almost 25 years continuous 100% service but it has been stored for the past 12 months with full tank and now won't start! Checked everything but no go, what could it be?

Going to air torque wrench run it for a few minutes if all else fails, hopefully that will clear what ever it is but any thoughts?

:(

Almost certainly have to be the fuel filter or carb being gummed up from the 2 stroke mix thickening and setting.

I reckon Johnny is on the money, I would be more tempted to clean out carbi/ pump and replace the fuel with new stuff, old two stroke tends to go off after a while, I also would not recommend running it up with an air wrench etc because you would be working the piston in the cylinder potentially without lubrication, never a good idea. hope this helps.
Dippa

I also would not recommend running it up with an air wrench etc because you would be working the piston in the cylinder potentially without lubrication, never a good idea. hope this helps.
Dippa

Good advice, thanks

;)

Other than for collecting firewood, a chainsaw for me is in the recovery gear category. Hopefully you won't need it.

Given that at some point something is better than nothing, I have a reciprocating saw with wood-cutting blades (similar tooth pattern to the bow saw in my shed) rated for cutting 19cm-diameter logs. It's a cordless unit I can run off Li-Ion batteries or from my ArkPak via Anderson plug (same battery/plug system as my air compressor etc, so I already have the infrastructure), and I'll probably put it in the Forry for the next major offroad/camping trip.

Does this seem like a silly or clever idea?
It's not going to be the same in terms of capability as a petrol chainsaw with 40+ cm bar, but it's smaller, lighter, involves no petrol/oil fumes in the car/trailer, and is arguably safer to use.

^ yep, I carry a Ryobi One+ reciprocating saw and 12V charger on extended trips. Added benefit, unlike chainsaws, is that you can carry and use it in National Parks

^ yep, I carry a Ryobi One+ reciprocating saw and 12V charger on extended trips.
Same as mine then. :ebiggrin:
I have a few batteries for the system and a charger, but I was uncomfortable with the disaster-recovery risk of having to wait for batteries to charge in order to run the saw or the air compressor, so I made a 3m hook-up with an Anderson plug on one end and a dummy battery on the other so if I need to I can run it directly off my 100 Ah AGM ArkPak (or any other 12V supply). All the tools I've tested so far run surprisingly well off 13V instead of 18V (not surprising, as the NiCd batteries they were designed for drop voltage as they go).
I'll do a write-up with photos of the adapter soon.

Added benefit, unlike chainsaws, is that you can carry and use it in National Parks
I didn't think of that. The rules there seem inconsistent, but at least the reciprocating saw won't fall under those rules when they exist.

^ ^ Good point, Kevin. Thanks.

May I point out that the "batteries" in a bow saw don't tend to run out ... :iconwink: :lol:. Unless I'm using it, of course ... :rotfl:

May I point out that the "batteries" in a bow saw don't tend to run out

That's when you get a second hand makita 12volt one and convert it to run from an anderson plug. They do need the voltage and current regulated though, 13volts burns them out pretty quick i found that out the hard way with a hand drill.

EDIT: just realised this might be useless for a chainsaw because of the amount of cord you would need to make it useful

Last edited:
Back