• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Richland Rd. Lenoir NC 6-4-11 Revisited

carljwnc

Emeritus Forum Staff
Hopefully we don't get flooded out this time!!!

Also, Richland Rd. is apparently not too difficult in itself, it has lots of 'bypasses' that are where the 4x4 action is had.

So, open invite to any and all out there, if you don't think you can do it, don't take the bypass.:)

Lenoir, NC WallyWorld (Wal Mart:puke:) 10am.:cool:

Again, in the event of more flooding, back up plan to head to Brown Mountain.:rolleyessarcastic:

I MAY go. Do you have any pictures of some of the funner parts of Richland Rd?

EDIT: I just watched some of the vids you posted on the trip reports thread from your last trip and REALLY would love to get up in them thur woods.

Last edited:
I MAY go. Do you have any pictures of some of the funner parts of Richland Rd?

EDIT: I just watched some of the vids you posted on the trip reports thread from your last trip and REALLY would love to get up in them thur woods.

The trip report you read may be a bit confusing, that was Brown Mountain where we went because Richland Rd. was flooded out. I have not been to Richland Rd. before so I don't know what exactly to expect.

This Thread has some videos of Richland Rd. My understanding is that it is a gravel forest service Rd. with some 4x4 bypasses. Let me check with the guy who is leading the trip about Subie compatibility on the main Rd. If all looks good, would be great to have you along.:)

Cool, I've only seen a 1" lifted Foz to date. Waiting to hear back from our trip leader, but I think you'll be fine.:cool:

What sort of lift do you have???

It's just a strut lift. King Springs with KYB GR-2 struts. I have half inch spacers for the front and 3/4" for the rear but I think I'm just going to stick with the rears (haven't installed any of the spacers yet). Those front axles are looking a bit strained already.

Trip leader says you should be OK. Hope you can join us.:ebiggrin:

I can post up the address of the Wal Mart we're meeting at if you need it.

UPDATE: Ball-joint giving me trouble (brand new :madred:) and an axle started clicking so maybe I'll bring the Touring wagon. It'd be better for the real trails anyway. And I should be fine when it comes to finding the Wal-mart as long as there's only one in Lenoir.

UPDATE: Ball-joint giving me trouble (brand new :madred:) and an axle started clicking so maybe I'll bring the Touring wagon. It'd be better for the real trails anyway. And I should be fine when it comes to finding the Wal-mart as long as there's only one in Lenoir.

Cool, I'd love to see that touring wagon.:cool:

935 Blowing Rock Blvd. Fairly sure there is only one, but just in case.:)

I tested out the Outback today in Pigeon Forge. Followed a 6" lifted Cherokee with 33s on it and did fine. The only problem I had was the rear end dragging going up steep inclines. Approach angle seems good. I could go anywhere he could EXCEPT for the really sharp breakovers, got high centered once but wasn't stuck enough to need help. Otherwise, he was very suprised and so was I. Now add maybe a 3" body lift and low range AND skid plates... I honestly can't contemplate what the car would be capable of.

Last edited:
Cool!!!:cool: is there some good off roading to do around there??? My family reunion is in Gatlinburg every fall, love to find some trails up that way.:)

So, are you going to make it next weekend???

Cool!!!:cool: is there some good off roading to do around there??? My family reunion is in Gatlinburg every fall, love to find some trails up that way.:)

Yes I do believe I will make it. And yeah there's some good off-roading around here, just have to know where to look.

Family reunions must be movin on up! Gatlinburg would be an awesome destination to have one. Are you going to take the short drive over to pigeon forge & take the fam to Dolly World? ;)

Family reunions must be movin on up! Gatlinburg would be an awesome destination to have one. Are you going to take the short drive over to pigeon forge & take the fam to Dolly World? ;)

My fathers side of the family is from Knoxville/east TN and surrounding areas, my family reunion has been in Gatlinburg for the last 60+years.:eek: Same cabin for at least the last 50 years, right on the edge of the 'Burg' and if you walk out the back door your in The Smoky Mtns.:cool: Still haven't been to Dolly World though.

My fathers side of the family is from Knoxville/east TN and surrounding areas, my family reunion has been in Gatlinburg for the last 60+years.:eek: Same cabin for at least the last 50 years, right on the edge of the 'Burg' and if you walk out the back door your in The Smoky Mtns.:cool: Still haven't been to Dolly World though.

Wow! You guys were going to Gatlinburg before Gatliburg was cool :cool:
There was a real good pizza / brew place there we hung out at, it was awesome! Calhouns was also pretty good as well. Gatlinburg & Asheville were my two favorite places when we did our smoky mountain run a couple years ago. Might be a tourist trap now, but it sure is perdy!

Walkin the streets of the "Burg"!(not sure what i was doin) The big dude is my bro-inlaw.
Gatlinburg.jpg

Back