Subaru promoted as "offroad" again

^ Like others, I have concerns about the CVT longevity and robustness. The 4EAT has earned a high reputation in this respect.

I also wonder if FHI have fixed the oil burning problems that plagued earlier FB engines, and worry about what happens if your FB engine develops this problem after the warranty has expired ... :poke: :question:.

Thanks for the link, Kevin.

Pitty there is no dual range manual in their range. The XV gearing is way too tall for off road and the 2 litre lacks torque. Though the US version does come with a 5 Speed dual range but linked up to an even more gutless 1.6litre motor. The clutch is vague and the gearbox very notchy and takes some getting used to. Also the paint quality is questionable as the paint chips so very easily. The CVT tends to overheat easily with off road work (not my personal experience as I had a manual but from others) After having an XV myself, I am so much more happier with my 2003 Forester and if it dies I will get another SG Forester to replace it, and another and another.......

The only positive thing I can say about the XV is that it has awesome fuel economy, so makes a great car to pick the kids up from school, and that is all it is really designed to do.

Last edited:
We have an XV, 80k km on it and its still going strong. Although a highway car it returns 6l per 100km nearly every tank. I like the CVT and found is very good offroad with such a small motor.
however the EJ series engines and 4eat's are pretty bullet proof.

While the site does have a dominant pic of the XV it is also promoting the Foz and Outback.

... Though the US version does come with a 5 Speed dual range but linked up to an even more gutless 1.6litre motor...

Huh?

Dual range? 1.6?

2.0 l 148hp and absolutely no dual range.

Huh?

Dual range? 1.6?

2.0 l 148hp and absolutely no dual range.

It was offered for the 2013/2012 range as there are owners on the xv forum with them, not sure if it was UK/Europe or US. Definatley not available now.

It was offered for the 2013/2012 range as there are owners on the xv forum with them, not sure if it was UK/Europe or US. Definatley not available now.

We have them here, but only the 1,6 has the dual range (1,45:1)

Yes here in NZ the XV based off the third gen impreza had a dual range gearbox with the 2l engine, but the latest 4th gen based model has a single range 6 speed.

Smarter and safer than ever before and with features like X-Mode and SI-DRIVE to help take you even further and get even more out of life. Why buy a watered down SUV when you can get into the Subaru Forester - it's the real thing.

Forester used to be a great off-road vehicle, but once they dropped the MT in favour of the CVT I think they may have lost quite a few customers looking for NEW Foresters, I know I am one. :sad: :sad: :sad:

Fixed price servicing may have also won them back a few old clients.

Huh? They dropped the MT in Australia? In the US, Subaru dropped MT on the OB, but still offers it on the Foz. How come they dropped it in Australia?

Also, if you are talking about a dual-range MT, OK, otherwise, what good is the MT off-road? US spec MT Subarus are those that fail to climb the tougher hills and that is why dual range transmissions are sometimes imported from Australia.

Personally, I would not choose an MT on an off-road vehicle except in Subaru's former Australian lineup (MT with DR but no LR on ATs) though I would take an MT WRX as a daily driver (since I rarely get into serious traffic).

Huh? They dropped the MT in Australia?

Not quite...

You can still buy MT versions in the very base model (2.0L petrol) and also on the Diesel Forester (2.0L also...)

Both are 6-speeds, but ratios are slightly different. Neither is dual range and that is the biggest complaint from most people.

Cheers,
Pedro.

What makes the outback more capable off road than the Forester? Or is it just marketing. Seems like it would be the reverse in my opinion.thanks look forward to your reponses. If I might add does the Xmode make that much of a defference off road.

Welcome aboard Roger. You are correct, in standard form the Foz is more capable offroad than the Outback (I've had both). The Foz has better approach and departure angles whereas the Outback tends to be more refined than the Foz and if I simply wanted a dirt road cruiser the OB would probably be my first choice. I don't have Xmode but from what I've read it is useful.

I've seen a few of the new Outback models cruising around town and they look big but tough and "in proportion" as most subarus have been - with exception to some of the latest Liberty wagons that look way too big for the wheels, almost like a clown's car!

Wouldn't mind seeing how one of these new ones goes offroad. I'm waiting for subaru to build a purpose off road vehicle with a decent dual range. The new Outback looks like it's in the right direction with body styling etc. Now to work on the tyre size and drive train!

Cheers

Bennie

The only problem with the new ob is the shocking approach angle, it's terrible.
Other than that it seems like a pretty sweet car and with the diesel cvt and x mode would be near unstoppable offroad with the right tyres.

Wouldn't mind seeing how one of these new ones goes offroad. I'm waiting for subaru to build a purpose off road vehicle with a decent dual range. The new Outback looks like it's in the right direction with body styling etc. Now to work on the tyre size and drive train!

Cheers

Bennie

they're not so bad except the horrendous approach/departure angles. the only times i've been stuck were because of a broken wheel, a broken axle, and ice where no road or even a path were involved. here's my truckster
10906497_10202384006601646_7697633545974859232_n.jpg

ive seen some good videos on subaruoutback.org. a 4th gen can go about 90% of the places a jeep wrangler can.

oh wait, you might be talking about the 5th gen, with xmode they're probably a little better...

Talk about a function-oriented mod!

The mesh grill, I always thought looking at your pics on the other forum, will let water in more easily than the factory one though.

What tires are you running?

If I had money in the mattress, I would consider 16" rally wheels for vacation use only, assuming they fit over my calipers, with 235-70 BFG T/A--or even Firestone AT, which are like 111/piece in that size (vs. 170 for the TA in that size or 140 for my 225-65-17 Geolander).

Back