Unsealed in South WA

Wilf

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
Forester
Transmission
Auto
Hi there, I spend 6 months a year in WA while waiting for my permanent residency visa to come through (36-39 months and a snip at around $60K) I kid you not.
I have decided to drive every unsealed road South of Busselton as shown on the two main roads and tracks map books available. I am ticking them off slowly but surely, along with other tracks nearer to Freo. My aim, ultimately is to drive all unsealed roads and tracks from Freo down to Augusta and then work my way across to Albany and Esperance before heading North.
My 04 SG Forester 2.5 auto is more than up to the task and I will be adding a Subielift lift kit and A/T tyres next . I hope to meet up with more Subaru owners along my way. I also intend to camp wherever possible so a Kings awning and big daddy swag are already standard kit. I firmly believe you don't need a 4.5 litre nutter turbo to drag around 2+ tonne vehicles in order to get to most places. Let's tread lightly and efficiently instead.

Hi Wilf
You're going to be in for an epic adventure! I've done Black Point to Broke inlet and Cheynes to Fitzgerald River with minimal tarmac, (however spread across several trips) in my 06 SG. I've done some of those areas basically stock, but currently have 2 inch lift and 215/65r16 tyres. Vehicle of choice really.

Woodarburrup road is a great one with awesome scenery, just air down because it is sand. Rame Head and The Gap around Peaceful Bay was another highlight. Reef Beach is probably my favorite spot, but the tracks in are proper offroad and it is remote when off season, so only go if experienced. The entire South coast is really great. Just be wary that there are often a lot of road closures in all the National Parks, which can lead to trips taking longer then expected. Also, don't just drive down every beach you see unless you like getting the recovery tracks out as much as I do.

Thanks for the tips Red. Much appreciated. I have just come back to the UK but anticipate being out again very early in 2018 and hitting the dirt. My base is in Wellard where my daughter and the grandy's live but my son in law is another convert and loves his H6 outback sport. I am a former Defender110 and Discovery owner up in the hills near Hadrians Wall and already know that my Forester can go pretty much anywhere the Disco can and I have to admit I am tempted by a Perentie Defender but I know the trusty Forester is more than capable. Having said that if I win the lottery I will be ordering a 100 inch Foers Ibex for delivery ASAP !

Back