• Upgrade to XenForo 2.2.15 has completed

Jetboil

nikoncanon

Message Admin for access
This cup is great. It boiled water in a little less than 2 minutes. its small and compact.

REI has them on sale right now. So check them out

https://www.rei.com/product/769449

pcsblackf.jpg
pcscamof.jpg

The PCS integrates a 1 liter insulated hard-anodized aluminum cooking cup, high-performance burner base with built-in piezoelectric igniter, drink-through plastic lid, and protective bottom cover that doubles as a measuring cup. With all components, including fuel, packed comfortably within the cooking cup, the entire PCS is smaller than a Nalgene bottle. Stow it in your pack, saddle bag, kayak, fanny pack, or side pocket – take it anywhere. At 15 ounces, Jetboil PCS rivals the very lightest titanium cooksets and micro-canister stoves.
Jetboil’s line of accessories allows you to personalize your PCS: turn it into a backcountry French press, add companion cups, or adapt it for use with the new 1.5 liter FluxRing pot or conventional cookware.

I stopped by my local REI to look at them over the weekend. They look nice. But, I've got three camping stoves right now (1 Army M-1950, 1 old Coleman White Gas stove [pre-Peak1], and 1 Coleman Multi-Fuel), not mentioning a couple of folding Esbit cookers. How do I justify buying a JetBoil? :lildevil:

This cup is great. It boiled water in a little less than 2 minutes. its small and compact.

REI has them on sale right now. So check them out

https://www.rei.com/product/769449

pcsblackf.jpg
pcscamof.jpg

The PCS integrates a 1 liter insulated hard-anodized aluminum cooking cup, high-performance burner base with built-in piezoelectric igniter, drink-through plastic lid, and protective bottom cover that doubles as a measuring cup. With all components, including fuel, packed comfortably within the cooking cup, the entire PCS is smaller than a Nalgene bottle. Stow it in your pack, saddle bag, kayak, fanny pack, or side pocket – take it anywhere. At 15 ounces, Jetboil PCS rivals the very lightest titanium cooksets and micro-canister stoves.
Jetboil’s line of accessories allows you to personalize your PCS: turn it into a backcountry French press, add companion cups, or adapt it for use with the new 1.5 liter FluxRing pot or conventional cookware.

Well i use it to eat soup and you can get the coffee and cappuccino maker for it. boils water in under 2mins

Damn - $US89, Id hate to see the price down under.
Probably quicker and cheaper to put money under it and set fire to that!!
Although that would work better for the yanks, with paper $1 bills, we would have to use plastic $5 notes!

I did see that the cheapie butane stoves are down to about $12 - almost disposable at that price.

i've thought about getting one of these. i like my msr pocket rocket though. i like to go lightweight when i'm backpacking. that would make a good basecamp stove however. then there is always corrigated cardboard wrapped in a spiral and covered in melted wax. haha

although this is quite an old thread, I'll resurrect it incase anyone else is interested.

I work in a southern branch of national outdoor equipment retailer here down under. The jetboils are becoming quite popular. certainly in terms of speed of boil, weight and compact-ability not too much comes close to them. Not cheap, but particularly for a solo traveller, they're a great investment.

That said, my main stove is a MSR Superfly (model without self ignitor). absolutely love it. don't see the use in a pocket rocket when for very little difference in weight or size you get a much more efficient burner.

Only thing i don't like about gas stoves is having to throw out the canisters at the end of each trip. if they were refillable it'd be great.

I was going to pick one up a few weeks ago out of curiousity when they were 30% off at a certain national outdoor chain but of course they had no stock (seems to happen a lot when sales are on the big brand stuff). Guess I'll just stick to my MSR Dragonfly or alcohol stove for short trips.

These do seem like a good idea though for anyone who just needs to boil water quicky.

Neat design, but you can't cook in them.

Better off with a compact gas stove that'll fit in a small billy. Cheaper and more versatile.

^ if you want to make steak and eggs then the jet boil isn't for you.
If you are packing for a long hike...it is.

This unit is not to be compared with a gas stove of any size. I pack mine with a can of soup and go snowshoeing for hours.

Again, dry dehydrating your food first them boil water in 90 seconds. Lets see your gas stove do that.

Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents, I've had my jet boil for about 2 1/2 years now and it's still running strong! I got the French Press for the lid, it works great for both coffee and tea! You can warm up soup, boil Water in under 2min, great for dehydrated meals when hiking/camping light.

My question is, has anyone tried the fry pan or the new SUMO cup?

I bought the fry pan. It has the same heat distribution system underneath as the Jetboil cup itself. Unfortunately all I've used it for so far is to warm tortillas, since I've been using Mountain House meals for my last few camping excursions, but the heat grid does make it pretty stable, as it's not going to slip off the burner. A good product.

Edited to add that the clip on bowl/plate that comes with it as a heat grid protector makes a handy additional well, bowl or plate.

Last edited:
No Fry pan yet. So far all I've used it for is boiling water for dehydrated food, making coffee, or tea. Only problem I've had is the plastic cup/protector cracked. Probably because it lives in the back of the car. Replacements are available.

My niece got this for a Xmas pressie & loves it. she's used it everywhere from camping in the snow to the beach. She even used it to give me a hot soup lunch on an offroad day trip a while ago :biggrin:

Back