greg

Forum Member
Car Year
Car Model
l series
Transmission
Manual
Hi Guys
I have an old L series wagon for running around a mates farm.
Lift kit, rally tyres and wheels, goes great BUT the tail lights, head lights and dash lights have just stopped working. All other electrics work fine.
Yes I have checked all the fuses inside and fusible links under bonnet, all OK.
Replaced the relevant ones and still no joy.
Anyone got an idea on what the problem might be?

This is my 5th Subaru I have owned.

Cheers

Greg

:welcome: to the ORS forum, Greg.

With our two Foresters, there is a connector that's all but hidden under each light at the bottom. Is there something similar on your L series?

BTW, Bennie ("El_Freddo") has an encyclopaedic knowledge of the L series, and he will almost certainly know the answer off the top of his head!

Thanks Ratbag
I have checked and cleaned all the connectors I can see under the bonnet.
It is something really simple I reckon but spent 4 hours looking with my limited knowledge and could not solve it.
Bennie might have the answer
Cheers
Greg

The connectors on our Foresters are very well hidden! It took me some time just to find the ones on the SG when I was fitting my lightbar. Buggers of things to get at too!

I had a Forester years ago, did 327ks in it to work and back, apart from the rocker cover gaskets did not touch it. Serviced at Subaru with 5 year warranty mind.
The old L series the connectors are easy to locate up front.
Cheers
Greg

It could be the switch at the end of the indicator stalk. It is the only switch that controls the Head, Tail, and Dash lights together.

Do the Park and Tail lights work with the switch on top on the steering column? If so, then it is not, fuse, fusable link, globes, or earth.

If it is the right hand combination switch, the easiest fix is to replace it.

Beigewagon

Hi Beigewagon
Yes the park lights do work off the switch on the top of the steering column.
Thanks for that re the stalk switch, is it an easy fix/replace?
Cheers
Greg

Greg,

From memory (about 12 yrs ago), remove steering wheel, upper and lower column covers, unplug and undo stalk and switch mechanism from column, swap stalk etc. TEST it works before reassembly in reverse order to removal.

Wasn't too hard from memory, as long as the steering wheel lets go.

Beigewagon.

OK will get one and give it a crack

Greg

OK boys
Here is the challenge its not the on/off switch, hooked up a new second hand one and just the same.
So I have no:
HORN
HEADLIGHTS
TAIL LIGHTS
DASH LIGHTS
HAZZARD LIGHTS
AIRCONDITIONING
As per original post have checked all fuses and links?????
Greg

Greg,

Is the wiring harness for the 'new' switch plugged in fully? Is the 'new' switch from an '87-'94 car? Ones for an '85-'86 are different (sorry didnt think of that earlier)

I have no idea on why the hazard lights, and air con dont work, they should not be involved in the rest.

Beigewagon.

Have only checked the fuses by eye, I am crap with a meter but have a mate who is proficient.
Yes the parkers work off the switch on top of the column.
So my next option is to light up the front with spotties and go with the park switch, not perfect but will do the trick for what I want. Radio works thats a bonus.
Still nice to fix it if possible.

A decent multimeter, a 6" shifting spanner and a financial calculator are all essential tools for life IMHO.

Knowing how to use them does help :iconwink: :lol:.

Yep this is an interesting one!

Got any more details about what's been done to this L? Any wiring done recently/water getting inside the car that could access electricals?

To me it almost sounds like there's a snapped wire somewhere behind the fuse panel. It's odd to lose hazards with tail and head lights.

I've lost front lights due to a dodgy piece of solider breaking in the steering column switch cluster, that was an interesting night!

Do you still have indicators?

Have you removed anything for farm use - eg, ripped out the stereo that may have interfered with other wiring?

I'll have more of a think about it and see what I can come up with. It is an odd thing to happen. It could be an earth wire or two... fun fun.

Lastly, are the globes still ok? Odd that all globes would fry, but if there's been a significant voltage overload while they were in use it's possible.

Got reverse lights?

And it still runs ok?

Cheers

Bennie

Back