Concerned about an engine

Hi all,

Love the response, although to me it sounds like there is a lot of conflicting opinions. Consider the following:

02 Forester w/128k miles. $5000. N/A 2.5L. Haven't seen it in person but from pics it looks great.

Opinions?

Assess on a case by case basis. Service history should play a major factor in deciding

02 Forester w/128k miles. $5000. N/A 2.5L. Haven't seen it in person but from pics it looks great.

Opinions?

Agree that maintenance history is important. For example, Subaru recommends that timing belt and a few other things be changed for 125,000 mile service. If this recommended service has been performed, that is a good sign that would increase confidence.

Ideally, you would find an independent Subaru mechanic to look it over before you buy. I use an excellent shop in Sterling, VA (Mach V). But that's a haul from WV. Diagnosing all my recent issues cost about $200, which was well worth the money.

I bought my 2006 with about 70,000 miles for a lot more money. It looked well maintained. But I've still had to do a bunch of work on it as I cross 100,000 miles. Also looks like I'll have to do the head gaskets at some point. That said, I love my Forester, and even with all the extra work now, it's still cheaper than buying a new car. So there. ;)

Escher, I'm not going to worry about the very slightly weeping HG on our MY06. Neither is our mechanic of some 15+ years, whom I trust absolutely. It can wait until the next major service in about 100K Kms time ... :).

With the SH, I'll get a quote from Ross to do them at the same time as the timing belt etc (next major service in about 24 months/12,000 Kms). This should cut the labour costs considerably.

Neither of ours is using any measurable quantity of oil between services at this stage.

Thanks! I've not noticed any overheating, or excessive oil or coolant use either. Part of considering HGS replacement at same time as ignition work was to save on labor. But I'm glad I waited, as it was not urgent. Now I can take my time to research HGS replacement, and plan out what other work to do at the same time, while the engine is out of the car. Timing belt is definitely on the list, as will be (fuel?) pump. Hoping to get this "big service" done in the next 6-12 months.

Back