OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > General Troubleshooting and Technical Help

Notices

Unread 2nd April 2018, 12:25 PM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

@NachaLuva

I am with you. There is no single answer for all conditions.

I have moved on, but squarely because:
1/We always ran out of cargo capacity, both room and payload.
2/The particular terrain we have here, which requires better angles, better rocker panel clearance, and where maximum control via low range AND off-road traction control really helps
3/Because the OB had an extremely difficult to clean interior.

AND, with all of that I only moved on because it practically never rains here. There is no way I would have gone part time 4x4 if I lived pretty much anywhere else. And of course we still have the Tribeca.

One benefit is that I can now drive moderate trails in the Sonoran Desert (and difficult if desired) with the kids at a better than excruciating pace and without worry. They are very nice tracks but they are not worth the amount of effort they would have required in the OB, even lifted. A lifted Foz would perform better, but even that cannot match the angles of the 4Runner. In addition, the Toyota off-road traction control is unbelievable (and I have a rear e-locker to boot). Also, while the OB's fully independent suspension absorbed the rocks and ruts on easy terrain at par or maybe better than the 4R, the 4R is way more comfortable when the terrain gets rough. The suspension soaks up the bigger rocks and bumps much better than the OB's ever could.

Another benefit of the platform is that I installed yesterday 3/16 steel skid plates under engine, transmission, and transfer case and so I now have a smooth undercarriage that can slide over anything. I had more clearance with your lift on the OB but I jacked the truck under the front skid, something that would break a Subaru skid plate. It is not the point who makes better Subaru plates, it is the undercarriage that does not allow to have strong enough plates. And while 100lb of steel down low only help the Toyota with its high center of gravity, this weight would have been a serious payload penalty on the OB (payload of 900 vs 1550 for the 4Runner). Also, there is no hope for the Subaru rocker panels even though clearance there is critical in rock crawling.

But elsewhere, I would personally go Subaru again so long as the capacity suffices. Any Subaru is pure fun on dirt. The low center of gravity with a simple and highly efficient AWD makes it climb loose hills others don't believe are possible.

The Toyota does everything but it is completely devoid of the fun that the Outback delivered on dirt and I am sure it will be worse than a lack of fun on mountain and canyon paved roads.

I guess what I am saying is that it is all about individual use. But from all I have heard about Australia, the only reason to abandon Subaru seems to be running out of room and payload capacity. This is what I did even though here a Subaru is inherently limited off-road in the first place.

Last edited by Kevin; 6th April 2018 at 03:59 AM. Reason: Unnecessary use of "Quote"
Unread 3rd April 2018, 09:36 PM
Contributing Member

Year: 2000
Transmission: 5MT
Tweaksta is on a distinguished road

Agreed. A SJ XT is my dream car.....I just need more load weight capacity and boot volume which is why I may need to go bigger.....and since the Pajero has full time mode it's close to a Subie.
Unread 3rd April 2018, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaksta View Post
and since the Pajero has full time mode it's close to a Subie.
As does my Triton as an option if you want to go bigger payload! Combinations of RWD, AWD, 4WD, Hi / Lo range all possible.
Unread 3rd April 2018, 10:49 PM

By the way, is the Pajero still in production?

How has its reliability been?
Unread 3rd April 2018, 11:24 PM
Contributing Member

I understand they are fairly reliable.

Even if they do stop production, I'll be seeking a 2011 or 2012.

As mentioned before, I don't really want to move away from Subaru but there is no Subaru that can carry my family plus enough gear, water and fuel for the type of escape that I do - and still be able to climb big red.
Unread 3rd April 2018, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Essentially, getting rid of my SF GT is not desirable. Especially since turbos and manuals are no longer being made.
Unread 3rd April 2018, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Model: Forester
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

The main issue for Pajeros that I have actually witnessed is rust around the window frames on the doors. Otherwise they're OK.
Unread 3rd April 2018, 11:54 PM

I vote for keeping the Foz. I did not even consider selling the OB until I realized that I really could not justify keeping it as my older kid is still 5 years away from driving (and my wife never liked the OB).

I am not happy that I sold it, I had it tailored to my wants, but so it goes. The 4Runner is a much better match for our use and I have been saying that we need one for years.
Unread 3rd April 2018, 11:58 PM

Year: 2005 and 2014
Model: Forester and Outback
Transmission: 5 speed manual and 7 speed CVT
PauSum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaksta View Post
Can anyone provide some figures regarding lowest ratios? I am currently driving an MY2000 Forester GT with manual trans.....it has fairly long legs and really could do with a dual range gearbox - especially running 65s instead of 60s.

What I'd like to know is if I bought a 2015 XT with CVT, will the CVT be able to provide a lower crawling ratio that the GT has? ....and how would a CVT cope with fitting larger diameter wheels (probably just the next size up).
Is this what you are after - scroll down to transmission section and open to see the details (Diesel versions has got ratios for manual as well)?
https://www.subaru.com.au/forester/specs
Unread 4th April 2018, 12:10 AM
Contributing Member

Awesome thanks for that. 3.505 for 1st gear on the XT. Plus I'd be guessing you get some torque converter slip allowing for more control doing ultra low speed launches.

3.785 1st gear on my GT.