OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > General Troubleshooting and Technical Help

Notices

Unread 31st March 2018, 11:55 AM

Year: 2013 / 2008
Model: H6 5EAT OB with SubieLiftOZ kit / Tribeca
Transmission: 5EAT
MiddleAgeSubie is on a distinguished road

Unimog, okay, but we were talking things drivable on road as well!

The G-wagon is so pricey...and known for low hanging turbos, at least here. But I am sure it is great.

The 200-series Land Cruiser has lost its way in the US. Not sure what it is like in Australia. It is not the best Toyota for offroading here.
Unread 31st March 2018, 12:47 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Outback '01, 2.5 NA , VDC
Transmission: 4eat
scalman is on a distinguished road

who want to buy subaru for crawling ?yes they could make lower gear ratios i guess, but at least older 4eat's are very good at crawling slow. i would pick traction control over lockers any day. lockers snap axles , as ppl put large heavy tires and lockers. and there you are with snapped axles in middle on trail.
they no make cars these days as they used to make in 90's and early 2k. those where cars to last. and they still do today. subaru diesels are not good. plenty subarus for sale here with diesel dead engines.
Unread 31st March 2018, 10:33 PM
Administrator

Year: MY06, MY10
Model: Forester SG & SH
Transmission: 5MT/DR & 4EAT Sports
Ratbag is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by havachat View Post
I would have thought without doubt the Mercedes G Wagon and the Unimog are the most capable 4wds you can get. But having said that I seem to be able to get around some serious tracks in the Victorian High Country.
I note Subaru has released the new Forester. Whilst it has x-mode I still have serious reservations with the CVT.
I'm sticking with my SG for as long as I can rebuild it!
I reckon that from the point in time when manufacturers started putting carpets, floor lining and ergonomic seats in vehicles like my 1968 Landcruiser is when they stopped being "true" off road vehicles. Get any of that stuff wet, and there will be tears and bad things happening at one's bank ... Of course, without those luxuries, these things are bloody uncomfortable to eat up highway miles in. So it becomes one choice or the other.

For my purposes, the sentence in bold from HC says it all.

Mine goes like sh** off a shanghai, is very economical on the open road, handles like a racing car, is comfortable, safe and will go anywhere that it's reasonable for this silly old fart to go safely. If I have to pause to think about it, I get out and walk ... Mine has only done about 120,000 kms, so should be good for longer than I am!
Unread 1st April 2018, 12:16 AM
Contributing Member

Year: 2000
Transmission: 5MT
Tweaksta is on a distinguished road

I think I have stated it before but my benchmark is that the next vehicle I buy needs to be able to climb Big Red. I do a trip to the desert / outback every two years and have done so for 10 years now. The most challenging terrain on each trip I've encountered is always deep soft sand which requires large amounts of torque to keep the wheels spinning - so the turbo is essential. 1st gear is just a bit too high on my Forester so my next vehicle needs to have a lower first ratio....

I would love a lifted CVT XT but haven't seen enough trip reports of people crossing the Simpson or doing the CSR in them yet.

Has anyone here climbed/crossed Big Red in a CVT subie?

Basically, the last few trips I've been close to GVM and I had to unload lots of camping gear and water to play on the dunes. Now that we have a child, I will be exceeding previous levels of load given the amounts of food and water you need to carry to be safe in isolated areas.

Therefore my requirement is a vehicle that can carry approx 200kg more than an SF yet still retain the ability to cross the Simpson.

If a CVT XT can do this then it's on my shortlist along with the NT Pajero. I don't like the Pajero Sport any more as it is too tacky and unsophisticated.
Unread 1st April 2018, 09:38 AM

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

Okay, family that changes the dynamics somewhat. Nothing wrong with a Pajero. I had a NM Pajero from new, a very capable off road go anywhere machine. The only reason I sold the Pajero was I found my SG went everywhere the Pajero went and I no longer needed a large 4x4 for weekends away.
Unread 1st April 2018, 02:47 PM

car itself not climbing anywhere. driver does. best 4wd could fail in wrong hands . its not about car
Unread 1st April 2018, 09:40 PM

Year: 2006
Model: SG Forester XS
Transmission: 1.447 Low SG Manual
Red XS is on a distinguished road

Can't find any CVT's doing Big Red. But this is an SG auto making it look easy.
The XT CVT has a slightly lower total reduction ratio then the Subie in this video. 14.4:1 vs 12.4:1. Both of which are no where near the sf low ranges total reduction of 21.1:1

Ratio's are king in manuals, but not as important in autos.
Your bigger concerns are going to be trans cooler if doing hard desert work and getting some high profile tyres over the XT''s brakes. Low profile tyres are the biggest weakness of the new generation Foresters.
Unread 1st April 2018, 10:09 PM

Year: 2002
Model: Forester SG
Transmission: 1.447 low range 4.44 diffs
havachat is on a distinguished road

And I think you'll find the turbo inter cooler is mounted at the front down low which may be an issue on the SJ.
Unread 2nd April 2018, 06:45 AM
Senior Member / Product Developer
Contributing Member

NachaLuva is on a distinguished road

I hate it when a 4wd is said to be the best offroad... where offroad???

A Unimog is unstoppable when rockcrawling or in deep sloppy bogs, but is terrible on soft sand. A recent trip by a group of Subarus saw one hopelessly bogged on Fraser Island on the Ngkala Bypass Tr, where every Subaru was able to do it easily. 2 of these were SJ Foresters with CVT & XMode

I can't for the life of me imagine a Unimog climb Big Red, I don't think it would be possible

The G Wagon has a history in the sand dunes of Dubai but would be severely stretched on Big Red.

The CVT is good offroad & XMode is brilliant. Add a 2" lift & 215/70/16 or 225/70/16 ATs & you'll be amazed at what it can do in a variety of terrains
Unread 2nd April 2018, 07:48 AM

thou you can take heavy land cruiser 79 series 4t weight on sand with right tires and psi, but 4t weight wont climb into steep hill on wet mud when lighter 4wd will. so yh it depends. no car will do everything. so sure offroading in australia or US is diff thing then offroading in russian. still you can find cars that would do most stuff if they modified right way. light subaru AWD will do very well in many cases because its weight and full time AWD not part time.