OFFROADSUBARUS.COM

Go Back   OFFROADSUBARUS.COM > Technical Forums > General Troubleshooting and Technical Help

Notices

Unread 19th January 2016, 08:27 AM
Forum Member

Pecky is on a distinguished road
Default Shuddering 2010 diesel

Hi all,

I thought I would tell you of a fix for a problem I just had on my 2010 Forester diesel which has 124,000 km on the clock.
Driving along at 80/90 in 5th gear the car would start shuddering going up a slight incline. Backing off the throttle seemed to ease it and it was repeatable in similar circumstances. The fuel consumption had also started to get worse as well.

The fault was found to be a split on the inside radius of the hose between the intercooler and the throttle body. I tried taping it up with self fusing tape which stopped the shuddering but the car now made whistling noises, so obviously the tape had not totally sealed the split.

I needed a quick fix and didn't' have time for the genuine Subaru spare to be shipped in. So I got a 70mm internal diameter, 45 degree bend, silicone intake hose from a performance shop that fitted, but needed to be shortened a bit.
A $35 fix that worked. Better than a friend who paid over $700 for the genuine Subaru hose from his turbo, who had similar troubles and gave me some idea of where to look.

cheers
Unread 19th January 2016, 06:25 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2010
Model: Forester 2.0D Premium
Transmission: 6 MT
Robbks is on a distinguished road

Nice fix mate.
and just goes to highlight the fact you hardly ever bother using stealership parts

The problem of air that has been metered by the AFM being blown out the hole in the pipe, but the ECU still pumps in the fuel that has already been calculated.

Have you had the ECU tuned in it yet?
If not, do so. it's so much nicer to drive and heaps more torque,
plus you can blank off the EGR valve and remove the EGR error codes to keep your intake nice and clean for engine longevity
Unread 7th February 2016, 09:55 AM
Forum Member

Pecky is on a distinguished road

The guys at Maximum Motorsports who now service the car ave been telling me of the benifits of tuning the ECU but I'm more interested in economy than power.
Thanks for the tip on the EGR valve, cleaning it is on my to do list.