Notices

Unread 22nd September 2013, 05:58 AM
Forum Member

Year: 1999
Model: Forester
Transmission: 5MT
Dedman is on a distinguished road
Default Fridges - what do you have?

I am looking at buying myself a fridge to go in the back of the foz for camping trips so I thought I would start a fridge thread.

What fridge do you have?
What is the capacity?
Is it a fridge, freezer or both?
Would you buy it again/how is it?
How do you power it and how long does it last without charging the batteries/refilling the gas bottle?
Any other helpful comments?

There is heaps of info on the net about this but I thought I would get the opinions of wise Subaru owners as I feel they are more reliable than overcompensating blokes in their big fourbys that chat on most other forums

I am currently thinking I will get a evakool fridgemate 55l as it has fridge and freezer and seems to get good reviews with a reasonable price tag.
Unread 22nd September 2013, 06:53 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2006
Model: Holden Adventra
Transmission: Auto
Scooby2 is on a distinguished road

Dedmanwalking... I don't know about Evacool, we just have a prehistoric Engel fridge/freezer which has been revived from the depths of my Mum & Dad's shed. Every person who has seen it reckon that you can't kill them.. and also add to that statement that some of the new fridge/freezers with digital displays go well for awhile until the digital part packs it in... so maybe check the warranty on the digital display if the one you are thinking of has this, and also ask the salesman if they get many returned under warranty.

Having managed for many years with eskies and ice, all I can say is this. Go forth with confidence and install refrigeration in your Subaru. It makes the world of difference to our camping trips. Hottest tip would be once you make the decision what type/sort to get, go out and buy a set of good plastic containers with clip down lids that stack well inside the space you have, and you will never again throw out bercragged food/bait that has mingled in the depths of your fridge and become unusable and caused an unholy stinking mess. The back charging socket has some kind of isolator so that it won't run the main battery flat, which I think is great.

Hope this is of some help.

Best regards,
Unread 22nd September 2013, 07:53 AM
Younger than Kevin

Year: 2004
Model: SG Forester X 2.5 Turbo
Transmission: D/R 1.446, Twin Lockers, Front LSD, 4.44
Rally is on a distinguished road

I have an Engel 55l fridge freezer, but I only use it as a fridge. I operate it through a second battery set up- see the build on my car. I have also recently purchased a 35l Evakool which will be used as a freezer. I chose both because the lid opens at the ends rather than the sides. I have a 250 watt solar panel which helps keep the battery alive when not running on the alternator. As my car currently runs a 90 amp alternator I plan on getting a 110 amp one and relegate the existing alternator to a spare. A recent trip to the outback showed how losing an alternator can be unforeseeable and in this instance ended in the trip coming to a premature end half way through for the family involved.

Buy on special- they come up now and again. I think Evakool make a fridge and a separate freezer in the one unit, while others partition part of the fridge off as a freezer. I like the Engel more because with the cover on them both, the Engel is easier to open the latch. But I am only slighter further down the road than you are in this so others who have had them longer would be worth chatting to. But I know on the last trip we had problems with a Waeco, and there were stories on the trip that it was not an isolated incident.
Unread 22nd September 2013, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Year: MY'03
Transmission: A/T
Kevin is on a distinguished road

I have a 49L evakool fridge and a 60L evakool ice box. Both work really well. Both are based on the 60L white fibreglass box. For extended trips I run the fridge as a freezer and rotate ice bottles thru the ice box. The fridge is now 8 years old; the ice box is older. Yes, I'd buy these products again. Just make sure the lid opening direction suits your space. In the Foz I powered off a 90AH battery.
Unread 22nd September 2013, 11:19 PM
Forum Member

Year: 2000
Model: EZ30R Forester
Transmission: Dual range manual
Dulagarl is on a distinguished road

I have a waeco. Its never missed a beat in the approx 9 years since I bought it.

I did run it on a single battery for many years, and carried a jumpstarter. Now I have a dual battery system. Also have a solar panel for extended stays.
Unread 23rd September 2013, 12:06 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2006
Model: Holden Adventra
Transmission: Auto
Scooby2 is on a distinguished road

Sorry to get off topic, but it is related kindof. Dulagarl, what type of solar do you have, and how do you find it?

Best regards,
Unread 23rd September 2013, 12:59 AM
Forum Member

Year: 2000
Model: EZ30R Forester
Transmission: Dual range manual
Dulagarl is on a distinguished road

^

Jaycar monocrystalline 20 watt panel:

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...BCATID=1004#12

I use a simple regulator, but this one would do...

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...BCATID=1004#12

Its a fantastic unit. Compact and very effective. I once charged a dead flat car battery for someone in about an hour and a half. Its more than enough to run my fridge.
Unread 23rd September 2013, 05:07 AM
Forum Member

Thanks for the info guys Im still deciding but Im thinking the evakool is the way to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulagarl View Post
Jaycar monocrystalline 20 watt panel. Its more than enough to run my fridge.
Really? How big is the fridge?
Unread 23rd September 2013, 05:16 AM
Forum Member

thunder039 is on a distinguished road

i have ironman 45ltr fridge freezer and it great. love it and would buy it again.
i run it off a battery pack and works great and last a few days.
i wouldnt buy evacool the guy at evacool told me that there fridge freezers are not as strong as competitors. unless u get there big fiberglass ones with external compressors. then there tuff as nails
Unread 23rd September 2013, 05:32 AM
Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder039 View Post
I wouldnt buy evacool the guy at evacool told me that there fridge freezers are not as strong as competitors. unless u get there big fiberglass ones with external compressors. then there tuff as nails
I was looking at one of the plastic ones with the compressor mounted on the outside as they are meant to have great insulation (essentially an esky with a compressor strapped on to it) and use very little power.
This is the model I am looking at;
http://www.evakool.com.au/products?sprod=107#